Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to liven up a bland curry

Options
  • 01-11-2019 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

So I made lamb rogan josh today from an online recipie for a family meal tomorrow. It's very bland with neither burn nor flavour. I'm hoping it will be a bit better overnight but what should I add to improve it if not ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭Heroditas

So I made lamb rogan josh today from an online recipie for a family meal tomorrow. It's very bland with neither burn nor flavour. I'm hoping it will be a bit better overnight but what should I add to improve it if not ?

Some dried methi leaves will give some great flavour. Also, if you can get some asafoetida, it'll also give a boost to the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Mango Chutney, peanuts, dessicated coconut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Chutney is the obvious answer of course. If you're near an Indian store you can get something interesting beyond the mango chutney (which is good but will obviously make it sweet which you may not really want). Where I love you can get lovely coriander chutney and mint ones as well that are more the consistency of pesto. Could easily stir into the curry and give it a blast of flavour. I think pataks do a very good lime one that packs a good punch of heat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heroditas wrote: »
    Some dried methi leaves will give some great flavour. Also, if you can get some asafoetida, it'll also give a boost to the flavour.

Aesofetida this late in the process may not do anything, should go in with the oil/fats at the very start of the sauce. Worth a go if you have it

Agree 100% on the methi (fenugreek) leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

A spoonful or 2 of a nice Garam masala is how I improved the taste of curries. Maybe a few chilli flakes to add more heat if required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I wouldn't be adding raw spices to an already cooked curry. Personally I'd heat up a little oil in a small pan, add whatever spices you want to add, maybe some garam masala and some chilli powder and cook in the oil for a minute or so (without burning!) and then pour that into the curry as you're warming it up. Similar to what you do with many dahl recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭Heroditas

L1011 wrote: »
    Aesofetida this late in the process may not do anything, should go in with the oil/fats at the very start of the sauce. Worth a go if you have it

Agree 100% on the methi (fenugreek) leaves

I always wondered when it should be put in for best effect. Thanks for the tip regarding putting it in at the start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭nice bit of green

tesco spicy lime pickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Pretty sure garam massala is supposed to be added after cooking, if you have some chilli sauce bung a bit in, a bit of extra salt may help too, and maybe a good dash of Worcestershire sauce (all last minute cheats)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement