Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powder coating Cork

Options
  • 01-11-2019 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭

Perhaps a thread of some use to a guy or gal looking to refinish a frame, wheels, rack or the like? Dont bother reading on if detail aint yer bag:D

Used a chap down Watergrasshill a couple times the last yr and yeah hes good! I get a decent bit coated and have used five well known companies and have noticed a few things about this fella...

The blasting is done with restraint. He removes paint but doesn't muller the parent metal. Had stuff done where the coating appears to have a slightest ripple in it like wet sand when the tide goes out. This is seemingly an artifact/leftover from heavy handed blasting. Open to correction on that but his doesnt have it.

The parts appear plastic. By that i mean the coating gets applied just heavy enough to swim and cooked hot enough long enough.
    Major gripe I've had with some others is the coating is super easily scratched. I dont mean by something sharp. I have a frame and swinger that can be left with swirlies if you rub it hard with a callused finger. His stuff not so, its hard cured.

Has a great range of colours and effects and is setting up vapour blasting also.

Easy to pay, a biker and into the process.
    The only fella who I've dealt with who'd run him for quality was Barry in Barrell but hes gone industry only.

20190324-180617.jpg

20190324-180610.jpg

20190324-180738.jpg

20191101-180032.jpg

20191101-175732.jpg
    Not asked nor told him I was gona bump him here just thought it coukd be of use if yer looking for a good job. If a boards mod deems this thread a no no feel free to can it.

http://www.southernsandblasting.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

They look fantastic!

Could you give me an idea of what he charged for the swing arm and rim?

Was thinking of getting the Blackbirds wheels done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭H_Lime

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    They look fantastic!

Could you give me an idea of what he charged for the swing arm and rim?

Was thinking of getting the Blackbirds wheels done.
    Hey, have a bird myself too:)
    The swinger and centre stand were 90. That included sanding the flatsides of the swinger after blasting to really bring out the finish. Kinda needed it as she was crusty!
    If you're getting the birds wheels done (in a satin black?) may as well rip the stands and subframe too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,065 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So, why have you got a smoke grenade in your shed :p

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Have you ever gone to Sodablast based on the marina commercial park?

So, why have you got a smoke grenade in your shed :p
    I throw them at the missus when she says it's time to come up from the garaiste:pac:
    Have you ever gone to Sodablast based on the marina commercial park?

blasted.jpg

rsz-11.jpg

rsz-3.jpg
    Yup, heres some work i got done from them. I had them blast a complete engine I masked off. Other bits too. Theyre expensive.
    Very smooth finish, no real key but safe on rubber with reason and dissolvable.
    To paint or coat it you have to give a slightly abrasive finish and soda aint great here imo.
    caseon.jpg
    Finish is good tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

H_Lime wrote: »
    I throw them at the missus when she says it's time to come up from the garaiste:pac:

blasted.jpg

rsz-11.jpg

rsz-3.jpg
    Yup, heres some work i got done from them. I had them blast a complete engine I masked off. Other bits too. Theyre expensive.
    Very smooth finish, no real key but safe on rubber with reason and dissolvable.
    To paint or coat it you have to give a slightly abrasive finish and soda aint great here imo.
    caseon.jpg
    Finish is good tho.

The work looks excellent, i got a job quoted from them last year, 4 alloy wheels to be powdercoated in black, price €400, unsure if i had to remove the tyres myself.

The work looks excellent, i got a job quoted from them last year, 4 alloy wheels to be powdercoated in black, price €400, unsure if i had to remove the tyres myself.

400 euro sounds excessive to me but i will admit to having zero experience with xoating car wheels.
    Try the lad i linked in the first post. I wont put words in his mouth but I'd imagine he'd better that.

Just thinking out loud but blasting soda as a medium is more expensive than your run of the mill grit. In saying that to my knowledge there's no reason to use soda on wheels. When i brought my soda blasted engine cases to Jeff in Tallaght Powder Coating he had to give them a run of ordinary media as the key wasn't there prior to coating. Deffo give Aidan in Watergrasshill a bell i reckon CT.

Advertisement