Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7-year-old trick-or-treater shot in Chicago

Options
  • 02-11-2019 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

A 7-year-old girl wearing a bumblebee costume was shot in Chicago while trick-or-treating on Halloween. EDIT: She is not dead, but is currently in critical condition in hospital.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/01/us/chicago-shooting-halloween.html

Stories like this make me despair.

I've gone back and forth over the Second Amendment, but it's really time to repeal it and implement proper gun control legislation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Well that's grim, no doubt we'll just see bullet proof Halloween costumes next year as the 'solution', we've already seen bullet proof school backpacks in response to school shootings.

I really wish the USA would just revoke the 2nd amendment... it has cost so many lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've gone back and forth over the Second Amendment, but it's really time to repeal it and implement proper gun control legislation.

That's a fairly disturbing story, but then again, all American gun related stories are, and I can't see it changing, it's too complex, and the forces keeping the status quo are immense. Rip little girl

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Honestly it's hard to give a sh*t. They will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Many Americans truly do, as you can see from the op's response, it's an immense problem in their society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Some clown from the NRA will come out and say her parents should have been armed and shoot back. America really does have a warped relationship with the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

How many of these guns are legally owned licensed firearms. Gangs shooting up streets at each other don’t tend to care if guns are legal or not.
    May as well ban cigarettes and booze. Shutting the gate after the horse bolted I’d say.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Rip little girl

She didn't die, and let's hope she doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

1) why would you not give a sh*t that a kid was shot???

2) there is overwhelming public support for gun control. The Senate won't pass it. The problem is with the politicians.

3) again - wtf with saying you don't give a sh*t about a kid dying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Can somebody post the story here for those who don't have accounts with that link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Can somebody post the story here for those who don't have accounts with that link?

Should work without an account. Worked fine for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Here's the CNN story, which I don't think requires a sign-in.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/01/us/seven-year-old-shot-trick-or-treating/index.html

To clarify, the girl is not dead, but is in critical condition in hospital after being shot in the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

...the masked gunman fired a spray of bullets in the direction of a gang rival on the city’s West Side..

Struck in the chest as she walked by was the girl

Little Village, a pocket of Chicago that heavily draws immigrants from Mexico, is known for its streets lined with bakeries, dollar stores and shops with quinceañera dresses in the windows. The community has also experienced decades of gang battles that sometimes erupt into violence.

It was along one of those busy commercial strips that the shooting took place on Thursday, as children went store to store collecting goodies before dinner.

I think Chicago needs to do more than simply try to ban guns.
    Tackling gangs and poverty in immigrant areas to start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Never thought I'd hear this from you, P. Fair play though. I've read reasonable arguments on Boards and elsewhere against repeal but I find really horrifying and depressing is the repeated poisoning of the debate on gun control that seems to occur in the US every time something horrible like this happens.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Never thought I'd hear this from you, P. Fair play though. I've read reasonable arguments on Boards and elsewhere against repeal but I find really horrifying and depressing is the repeated poisoning of the debate on gun control that seems to occur in the US every time something horrible like this happens.

Agreed.

Those who strongly support individual liberty often also support unqualified Second Amendment rights. As the Libertarian Party puts it: "We oppose all laws at any level of government restricting, registering, or monitoring the ownership, manufacture, or transfer of firearms or ammunition."

But I don't believe this absolutist stance is tenable any longer. The US needs to balance the legitimate right to self-defense against the equally legitimate right of innocent people to be free from arbitrary violence — and as guns become ever more deadly, with high-capacity magazines letting shooters fire off dozens of rounds, the law should allow regulation in the interest of public safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

BDI wrote: »
    How many of these guns are legally owned licensed firearms. Gangs shooting up streets at each other don’t tend to care if guns are legal or not.
    May as well ban cigarettes and booze. Shutting the gate after the horse bolted I’d say.

+1

You'd have to make sure that illegal firearms were virtually non-existent before you could do away with all legal firearms. That seems like a pretty tall order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

+1

You'd have to make sure that illegal firearms were virtually non-existent before you could do away with all legal firearms. That seems like a pretty tall order.

Not really, if all guns are illegal, it is much easier to enforce , no checking for licenses etc, if there is credible evidence for a warrant to search your home and a gun is found, a heavy conviction follows. The guns would dissapear fast. Even if people still have some hidden, they will never risk carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Another excuse for Fox News/ the right wing media to spin the line of 'Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the country, and look at the level of gun crime there. Therefore, gun control only makes the problem worse.' While conveniently ignoring that south Chicago is about a 20 minute drive from the next state where you can get as many guns as you want.

Its not just the politicians holding this back, there are a ton of people in the US who resist any kind of gun control. And they don't give a sh!t about the consequences for society. 'But I'm a responsible gun owner.' Whoop dee fcuking doo, I'm sure thats a lot of comfort for this girls parents

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am surprised American parents allow their kids to trick or treat over there considering all their neighbours have guns and secondly and most importantly ...ALL THEIR NEIGHBOURS ARE AMERICANS!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The land of opportunity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Does it even need to be repealed, or is it more a case that it needs to be interpreted correctly? The amendment calls for "a well organised militia" in affirming the right of the people to bear arms, the suggestion that this actually implies that every tom, dick and harry should be allowed to bear arms for any reason is, I would have thought, a massive stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Not really, if all guns are illegal, it is much easier to enforce , no checking for licenses etc, if there is credible evidence for a warrant to search your home and a gun is found, a heavy conviction follows. The guns would dissapear fast. Even if people still have some hidden, they will never risk carrying.

Some people have legitimate reasons to own guns. Hunters, ranchers etc. Making them all illegal wouldn't work. Do you want a civil war? Because that would be how you get one. Most people just dont want the second amendment repealed. There must be a middle ground.

There are hundreds of millions of legally owned firearms in the US and probably the same amount of illegal ones. They arent just going to disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This isnt a 2nd amendment issue at all. It's a gang issue.

I highly doubt 2 gangs are shooting at each other in the streets with guns legally registered in their names.

Gangs here have illegal guns too.

Of all the cases that could be used to complain about average people having the ability to own guns, this isnt one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

everlast75 wrote: »
    1) why would you not give a sh*t that a kid was shot???

2) there is overwhelming public support for gun control. The Senate won't pass it. The problem is with the politicians.

3) again - wtf with saying you don't give a sh*t about a kid dying?

Two questions.

1. What do you mean by gun control? Honest question.
    2. If you mean banning guns, there is no way in the wide earthly world that most Americans want guns to be banned so what makes you think there is support for that type of gun control?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Two questions.

1. What do you mean by gun control? Honest question.
    2. If you mean banning guns, there is no way in the wide earthly world that most Americans want guns to be banned so what makes you think there is support for that type of gun control?

Most Americans don't own guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Maybe stop reading/posting about them so.

What are you hoping to achieve as an Irish person?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Boggles wrote: »
    Most Americans don't own guns.

That doesn't mean that as non-gun owners they support all guns being banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

A 7-year-old girl wearing a bumblebee costume was shot in Chicago while trick-or-treating on Halloween. EDIT: She is not dead, but is currently in critical condition in hospital.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/01/us/chicago-shooting-halloween.html

Chicago already has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation. Unfortunately, criminals and gangs don’t seem to be very concerned with the laws.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That doesn't mean that as non-gun owners they support all guns being banned.

I don't know anyone is suggesting to ban all guns, it's about stricter gun controls, and yes the majority of Americans support it according to various polls and actually enacted laws.

There is a myth that Americans are gun nuts, it's not true. The majority are not gun owners.

A sizable amount are gun owners, but the NRA "only" has around 5 million members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Another excuse for Fox News/ the right wing media to spin the line of 'Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the country, and look at the level of gun crime there. Therefore, gun control only makes the problem worse.' While conveniently ignoring that south Chicago is about a 20 minute drive from the next state where you can get as many guns as you want.

Its not just the politicians holding this back, there are a ton of people in the US who resist any kind of gun control. And they don't give a sh!t about the consequences for society. 'But I'm a responsible gun owner.' Whoop dee fcuking doo, I'm sure thats a lot of comfort for this girls parents
    notobtuse wrote: »
    Chicago already has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation. Unfortunately, criminals and gangs don’t seem to be very concerned with the laws.

Please refer to the above post, strict gun laws mean nothing unless its nationwide

Advertisement