Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup Final 2019 Eng vs S Africa

Options

Comments

Bod and Heaslip are good when they're talking rugby and not trying to have banter. They clearly know what they're talking about. Fitzgerald is only good for a few stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

He liked falou's post on Instagram. Media picked up on it and Vunipola doubled down. Saracens punished him for it.

i'd say the punishment wouldve been more severe if he wasn't so pivotal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

GDK_11 wrote: »
    Disappointed obviously but most fans including myself will just say well beaten by the better team. I think I disputed one scrum and a possible yellow but that’s it, wouldn’t have made a difference as SA were so good. Every comment I have seen from the England players after the game have been similar, beaten by the better team so I don’t see a huge amount of arrogance there!!
    The arrogance was prior to the match. South Africa far superior but England thought they had it in the bag after the semi final. Wonderful to see such arrogance firmly put in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

He liked falou's post on Instagram. Media picked up on it and Vunipola doubled down. Saracens punished him for it.

So did Aki.
    But people saying the team deserve to lose because of it is a bit much.
    Does that mean Ireland deserve to lose? It's a bit of a simple world view to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Eddie Jones looked like he was ready to spit fire there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Funny how these things go anyway. If NZ had beat England I think they would have beaten SA, likewise I reckon the French in the right mindset could have stuck it to SA in the semis with their pack.

Alas we will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Jacques Nienaber is going to be in huge demand after this world cup. He's probably the best defensive coach in the world right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,539 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Tournament rugby...tournament anything.
    It is not over until it is over.

As clinical a dispatch as you are likely to see in a RWC final.

There is nothing, not a forward pass, ref decision, or injury that can take away from the fact that SA were better in every aspect of the game from the off.

Was always likely to happen if SA got any kind of foothold, I am just amazed they got it with hardly a whimper in return.

Enjoyed that final and the WC tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

So did Aki.
    But people saying the team deserve to lose because of it is a bit much.
    Does that mean Ireland deserve to lose? It's a bit of a simple world view to have.

In fairness, Aki rolled right back and said he liked it without reading it.

Vunipola doubled down. Whether you buy or accept the excuse, it was still worldly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,043 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The type of class you would expect from a gentleman like Jeremy Clarkson. :D
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B4XH23PAQ8I/?igshid=1qys61lcenpf0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

flazio wrote: »
    The type of class you would expect from a gentleman like Jeremy Clarkson. :D
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B4XH23PAQ8I/?igshid=1qys61lcenpf0

Just... Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

England's rugby fans are classy though, gracious in defeat so far.

Wish their loyalist sympathising football fans could learn a thing from them. Chalk and cheese in terms of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

No question of a forward pass in the first try for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The arrogance was prior to the match. South Africa far superior but England thought they had it in the bag after the semi final. Wonderful to see such arrogance firmly put in its place.

rubbish eddie jones said in interviews during the week that they needed to step up another level for the final (it seems thats a level they didnt have) i dont think anyone said they had it in the bag most commentators and press did but it just goes to show you can never guarantee sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Jacques Nienaber is going to be in huge demand after this world cup. He's probably the best defensive coach in the world right now.

That title changes by the week. Mitchell was seen as the best this time last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Blackheath

Should make the Lions tour even more interesting taking on the World Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

shows how to beat england, beat them upfront and slow the ball down

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is how you beat every single team. :)

If your pack dominates you will win the game. Backs spend their time defending or clearing out rucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

You beat any team upfront you generally win.

That has happened on successive weeks. Rugby is essentially a fight first and foremost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

FAN FOOKIN TASTIC.

• Advertisement

Naggdefy wrote: »

That has happened on successive weeks. Rugby is essentially a fight first and foremost.

Why Leavy was a loss to us. Very physical. Decline in performance from some others in the pack.

As soon as England took out NZ South Africa knew the door was open to them. They'd much rather play England than NZ, despite all the hype. Their eyes must have lit up.

They have a good record against England.

26-15. Won 14 out of the last 18.

4-1 in World Cups too.

By contrast they are 25-25 against Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

England got dragged into a dog fight against SA, the one thing they love to do.....

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think England are carrying a few passengers in their squad. If the English pack gets on top they're well capable of carrying them, but if the pack is not dominating (even if the opposition gets parity) then the cracks show very quickly.

Ben Youngs is terrible. Can't pass, runs sideways with the ball. Daly is a winger, not a full back. Cole is in the English team for 1 reason and 1 reason only, and that's to scrum, so when he can't even do that he's an empty shirt. It's a double problem since Vunipola is not known for his scrummaging. And I am not sure about Lawes against beefy teams, think Kruis would have been a better pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jones was out smarted by Erasmus, but having said that i don't think any other team would have been capable of executing that kind of gameplan. Vunipola, who is usually such a dominant force, with his bloodied face and head bandage summed up the game. He and his backrow team mates were physicially dominated.

Jones was out smarted by Erasmus, but having said that i don't think any other team would have been capable of executing that kind of gameplan. Vunipola, who is usually such a dominant force, with his bloodied face and head bandage summed up the game. He and his backrow team mates were physicially dominated.

And when you see him being driven backwards. I'm sure training and prep was excellent for England but they had the appearance of a team that expected things to happen rather than make them.

Also hard to play 3 top notch games in a row.

Faf de Klerk is a canny little fella. So composed compared to Youngs too.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I feel disappointed for England...they've clearly been the best team in 2019. SA only decided to play rugby in this final

Lol no they haven't.

Didn't win the 6 nations, couldn't even beat Scotland at home.

Made light work of Ireland this year but that wasn't exactly difficult.

One positive from this outcome is that the next lions tour will be a bit more interesting now!

Really the SA game plan is not unlike our own at best.

Just they are usually a more physical side than us and when you have a history behind you like theirs it helps!

• Advertisement

And when you see him being driven backwards. I'm sure training and prep was excellent for England but they had the appearance of a team that expected things to happen rather than make them.

Also hard to play 3 top notch games in a row.

Faf de Klerk is a canny little fella. So composed compared to Youngs too.

Yeah De Klerk is a brilliant player.
    I don't want to make excuses for England, but as you suggest perhaps mentally their final was last week, and it allowed South Africa to come in as underdogs. They started the game more fired up.

Advertisement