Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup Final 2019 Eng vs S Africa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Not even close. Ridiculous comparison. SA would have 'qualified' for the first 2 without Apartheid. Who's to say they would have won at least another out of those 2.

Being banned for Apartheid is tantamount to not qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭votecounts

Delighted thats Erasmus and Springsbok won, deserved it fully and also to wipe the smirk off Farrells face, priceless:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

It really isn't.

The comparison you are trying to make is absurd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

You must be very young or silly trying to pursue such a ridiculous argument here. Good luck with it!

Two massive turning points

Sinkler going off showed the weakness in England's front row cover. No scrum, no win. Especially against the Boks

Missing that kick, to bring it to a 3 point game, effectively ended England's challenge.
    The Boks were, realistically, the worst team for England in the final. Big bruisers who can play the same game as England. England may have the better backline but when the opposition can effectively kill your "bash 10 metres and immediately release the backs" gameplan, and turn your scrum? No hope.
    It all worked out perfectly for the Boks and, while it was not a great tournament, it was a great final.

Highlights of the Tournament were:
    Boks are back, obviously
    Japan. of course
    Uruguay, great showing from them
    Russia, parachuted in and had a very admirable showing.

Lowpoints:
    Ireland
    Cancelled games
    Fiji
    Canada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

You must be very young or silly trying to pursue such a ridiculous argument here. Good luck with it!

The only explanation is that everything must be taken into consideration to qualify. Most important is ability but also the stance the rugby board took. Also maybe if your not in you can't win. But doesn't stack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

You can add Scotland to the low points, very poor world cup from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,275 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Delighted for Rassie, a very special rugby man and a real talent. Two remarkable turnarounds at club and International level during the World Cup cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    You can add Scotland to the low points, very poor world cup from them.

Argentina and the USA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I wasn't overwhelmed by the world cup to be honest.. enjoyed a few games. With the schedule, missed more than I saw. Saw a few good games.

Ireland being so flat from early on didn't help either.

I'd give it a 4/10

And half of that is because I really enjoyed the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Some of the poor refereeing performances and the impact they had, took away some of the gloss. By all rights Fiji ought to have qualified. I know they got beaten by Uruguay, which was a fantastic game, but they would've beaten Aus and Wales if the refereeing had been to a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not even close. Ridiculous comparison. SA would have 'qualified' for the first 2 without Apartheid. Who's to say they would have won at least another out of those 2.

They wouldn't have beaten new Zealand in 87 or Australia in 91

• Registered Users Posts: 68,539 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mad_maxx wrote: »

A few hours ago most people would have said they 'wouldn't have beaten England'.

Don't be silly, you can't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,418 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Personally I think the Aussies of 1991 were the strongest team of all the world cups, at that time..they were so strong in 1991..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

walshb wrote: »
    Personally I think the Aussies of 1991 were the strongest team of all the world cups, at that time..they were so strong in 1991..

Possibly 1999 team was close. Far cry from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

well done Sth. Africa!

in many ways the match reflects what's happening in their respective countries.
    one trying desperately, to forgive the wrongs of the past, and to create a decent optimistic future for themselves.

the other wallowing and festering in the past glories, bickering and squabbling amongst themselves, unable to look to the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Jacovs

RUGBYU-E-530.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

well done Sth. Africa!

one trying desperately, to forgive the wrongs of the past, and to create a decent optimistic future for themselves.

the other wallowing and festering in the past glories, bickering and squabbling amongst themselves, unable to look to the future.

.... You must not pay much attention to the news if you think that's what's happening in South Africa these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭castor 1

Two massive turning points

Sinkler going off showed the weakness in England's front row cover. No scrum, no win. Especially against the Boks

Missing that kick, to bring it to a 3 point game, effectively ended England's challenge.
    The Boks were, realistically, the worst team for England in the final. Big bruisers who can play the same game as England. England may have the better backline but when the opposition can effectively kill your "bash 10 metres and immediately release the backs" gameplan, and turn your scrum? No hope.
    It all worked out perfectly for the Boks and, while it was not a great tournament, it was a great final.

Highlights of the Tournament were:
    Boks are back, obviously
    Japan. of course
    Uruguay, great showing from them
    Russia, parachuted in and had a very admirable showing.

Lowpoints:
    Ireland
    Cancelled games
    Fiji
    Canada

Surely one of the highlights has to be England’s demolition of the All Blacks !

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

Jacovs wrote: »
    All credit to the team in fairness. Hope they heard me shouting on the couch though.

Thank you. Will enjoy it again monday in work.
    BAIE GELUK aan die Springbokke en Suid Afrika boet. Ek is trots om hulle te ondersteun. Kurt Darren op my stereo ðŸºðŸºðŸºðŸºðŸºðŸºðŸºðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well done Sth. Africa!

the other wallowing and festering in the past glories, bickering and squabbling amongst themselves, unable to look to the future

utter bollocks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

How many of that Boks team make it into the 15 from ‘07?

1. Beast
    8. Vermualan
    10. Pollard
    14. kolbe

Could make a case for PSDT over Juan Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

How many of that Boks team make it into the 15 from ‘07?

1. Beast
    8. Vermualan
    10. Pollard
    14. kolbe

Could make a case for PSDT over Juan Smith

I'd take De Allende over 2007 Steyn at 12, De Allende has been one of the best inside centres this year.

I think Faf vs Du Preez is a tight battle too but Du Preez probably nudges it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Some backstory for Kolisi all the same, superb role model.

Sure is. I found myself feeling very emotional listening to his post match interview, such humility given what he has achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

South Africa may have won the game but England won the hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I'd take De Allende over 2007 Steyn at 12, De Allende has been one of the best inside centres this year.

I think Faf vs Du Preez is a tight battle too but Du Preez probably nudges it.

Yeah De Allende is probably a fair call. Strange he was out of favour for a while last year, always thought he was a good player since last WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

.... You must not pay much attention to the news if you think that's what's happening in South Africa these days.

no but i do visit there about x5 every year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Best stat about SA winning the World Cup is Francois Steyn becoming a double World Cup winner. How is he just 32? He won his first in 2007 when he was 20. A bloody baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,122 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Could make a case for PSDT over Juan Smith[/quote]
    Well firstly Mapimpi would be in ahead of Kolbe.
    De Jager, le Roux and De Klerk also deserve serious consideration. The whole front row, starters and bench, are all magnificent players too.
    De Allende as mentioned above too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well firstly Mapimpi would be in ahead of Kolbe.
    De Jager, le Roux and De Klerk also deserve serious consideration. The whole front row, starters and bench, are all magnificent players too.

De Jager wouldn’t get near Botha or Matfield. That was an iconic engine room.

Advertisement