Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup Final 2019 Eng vs S Africa

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Cool whip??

That weird dessert? I've just seen photos of Faf in his jocks :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,560 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it's not about being a pshchic. it's about being trying to analysise the game, and calling out people who clearly do not know how. i'm trying to be kind here btw.

afterall is that not the purpose of this thread?

How could I analysis the game 7 days beforehand... This thread was only made this morning!!!

You actually brought those posts over from another thread in case you didn't realise :D

So sad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Defense is king and all it takes is effort. I wonder what new laws will be introduced to combat this.
    There is talk of a line out reversal for certain kicks, which would certainly take a few defenders out of the line, so maybe that will be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Looking at the strength of the SA pack substitutes and of the big 3 it's obvious our strength in depth is holding us back a fair bit. Wales do a bit better with what they have, at WCs anyway.

I think rugby in Ireland needs to grab a large percentage of the GAA share. I think it's starting to happen a bit in rural Ireland. Take a town like Portlaoise, 22,000 pop with one GAA club. A lot of kids won't get first team games there. Potential to exploit in such areas. Rugby is a very appealing sport to a lot of GAA players. Would love to have had the opportunity in my prime.

Take Dublin, Jack McCaffrey (wing etc) MD McCauley back row, James McCarthy suberb athlete etc. Michael Murphy of Donegal impressed in the AIB toughest trade in Clermont, with his kicking ability especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

How could I analysis the game 7 days beforehand... This thread was only made this morning!!!

You actually brought those posts over from another thread in case you didn't realise :D

So sad :D

but we are talking about the WC TOURNAMENT, and to analyse the TOURNAMENT it's necessary to examine previous matches, and people's naive reactions to them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,560 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

but we are talking about the WC TOURNAMENT, and to analyse the TOURNAMENT it's necessary to examine previous matches, and people's naive reactions to them.

Hahaha..... Off with ya... Youve been found out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Looking at the strength of the SA pack substitutes and of the big 3 it's obvious our strength in depth is holding us back a fair bit. Wales do a bit better with what they have, at WCs anyway.

I think rugby in Ireland needs to grab a large percentage of the GAA share. I think it's starting to happen a bit in rural Ireland. Take a town like Portlaoise, 22,000 pop with one GAA club. A lot of kids won't get first team games there. Potential to exploit in such areas. Rugby is a very appealing sport to a lot of GAA players. Would love to have had the opportunity in my prime.

Take Dublin, Jack McCaffrey (wing etc) MD McCauley back row, James McCarthy suberb athlete etc. Michael Murphy of Donegal impressed in the AIB toughest trade in Clermont, with his kicking ability especially.

I grew up in Portlaoise in the 70s and 80s.

Even then the rugby club did well tbh

Hahaha..... Off with ya... Youve been found out.

no i disagree.
    your post-match "analysis" of the Wales game was woefully poor, as today's victory by SA has proven.

at least have the maturity to admit it.
    there's no shame in being wrong.

Stheno wrote: »

It did but Portlaoise GFC were winning a club AI in 1983. It was no more successful than Carlow at that time in towns cup. Brian Rigney alright. Niall, Noel etc went GAA.

Stheno wrote: »

Saku Nagwyna, South African, doing great work with Portlaoise juveniles for over a decade in Portlaoise. Top class person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Neil Francis is clutching at the thinnest of straws...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

I wonder if there will ever be a day when there is a failure by an Irish international sportsperson/team and the GAA doesn't get blamed for it.

Dog Murphy wrote: »
    I wonder if there will ever be a day when there is a failure by an Irish international sportsperson/team and the GAA doesn't get blamed for it.

It's not blame for the GAA. Just pointing out that rugby, like all sports, has to optimise it's playing base.

i believe the reason many people/pundits/posters got the final wrong is that after the Welsh game, they incorrectly assumed SA were not capable of playing open rugby when needed. clearly as Eddie Jones & co. will testify, that is not the case.
    SA can play ugly, and they can play a more expansive game when that is required. why exert yourself playing minnows like Japan or Canada with the final beckoning. great credit must go to Erasmus for such a tactical masterclass, especially if you consider this is his first WC.

what i do find amusing is that the average Irish rugby fan (of which i am one) were so heavily critical of the SA style after the semi. i mean the words POT 'n KETTLE spring to mind.

forgive me but the "hoof 'n chase" or the "up yer jumper" fare we have had to endure over the decades is not exactly going to have a world audience drooling for more, even if we do pride ourselves & our fans on being such great craic. the reason we never progress is not only is it awful to watch, but unlike the BOKS we are as PREDICTABLE as a wet day in Sligo.

and perhaps that's why many Irish "pundits" got this wrong. because we have become so accustomed, so inured, so numbed by our own, home-grown predictable muck, that we expected the same from the World Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭tanko

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Neil Francis is clutching at the thinnest of straws...

What has he said?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sinckler was a huge loss to England, and not just the scrum. His hands are up there with the best of the English forwards, and a ball-carrying threat who can pass and offload (i.e. switch point of attack) is a huge asset when you're under the kosh physically.

It was 18-12 when Mapimpi scored the breakaway try, and I do wonder what the score would have been at that moment if Sinckler had been on the field for 60 odd minutes. You could surely wipe a couple of scrum penalties from SA's score at least.

But that aside, well done, Bokke. PSDT and Faf were incredible throughout the tournament, and I'm delighted for Kolisi and Rassie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Defense is king and all it takes is effort. I wonder what new laws will be introduced to combat this.
    There is talk of a line out reversal for certain kicks, which would certainly take a few defenders out of the line, so maybe that will be enough.

Why new laws needed? Lots of attacking play in this years WC. Eng were said to have a very tough defence and yet were opened up twice at end of today like a can of sardines. SA did play a powerful defensive game but they could attack when the opportunity arose. Nothing wrong with that, just good tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

tanko wrote: »
    What has he said?

Noooo
    Don’t bother or click
    Whatever he said is more than likely bollocks and sensation seeking

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

were England a tad complacent today?

• Administrators Posts: 53,790 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

fryup wrote: »

No, they were just beaten out the gate by a better team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,804 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

fryup wrote: »

Shell shocked from the get go and nobody knew how to turn it around.
    Far too many were making early claims of world dominance for this English team. They have bottled it before, could become a thing for them.

• Administrators Posts: 53,790 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I just remembered that the boks tried to setup a maul in midfield from open play. They deserved to win for that alone, haven't seen a team try that in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

awec wrote: »
    I just remembered that he boks tried to setup a maul in midfield from open play. They deserved to win for that alone, haven't seen a team try that in ages.

Stand out moment in the final for me. Completely unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Should end calls for four year cycle anyway. Erasmus got it done in under two years.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Sinckler was a huge loss to England, and not just the scrum. His hands are up there with the best of the English forwards, and a ball-carrying threat who can pass and offload (i.e. switch point of attack) is a huge asset when you're under the kosh physically.

It was 18-12 when Mapimpi scored the breakaway try, and I do wonder what the score would have been at that moment if Sinckler had been on the field for 60 odd minutes. You could surely wipe a couple of scrum penalties from SA's score at least.

But that aside, well done, Bokke. PSDT and Faf were incredible throughout the tournament, and I'm delighted for Kolisi and Rassie.

I was literally thinking the same thing the moment Itoje knocked him out, England use him as almost a loop around in a lot of their attacking plays.

They really had nothing in attack when he went off.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Should end calls for four year cycle anyway. Erasmus got it done in under two years.

Not sure it matters to be honest, except sometimes, a new coach breaths some life into a stale set-up.

I think Rassie brought SA back to basics and, Jacques Nienaber is the best defensive coach in the world.

SA rugby players are simple folk, tell them exactly what to do, keep it simple and they'll do it better than any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

The English players havent been smug or overly-confident. The fans, on both sides, have created this environment of the cocky Anglo once again taking their lad out and schlomping it down on the table-map, waving it around to choose where they will place their dominance again.

It's a game, It's a final. England lost against the Republic of South Africa in a final.

Eddie Jones is a ****ing pleb **** though get ****ing REKT *dab* *dab* *dab*

**** England and **** South Africa. Rory........... BEST!!! BEST!

In many ways Ireland won this World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

chupacabra wrote: »
    The English players havent been smug or overly-confident. The fans, on both sides, have created this environment of the cocky Anglo once again taking their lad out and schlomping it down on the table-map, waving it around to choose where they will place their dominance again.

It's a game, It's a final. England lost against the Republic of South Africa in a final.

Eddie Jones is a ****ing pleb **** though get ****ing REKT *dab* *dab* *dab*

**** England and **** South Africa. Rory........... BEST!!! BEST!

In many ways Ireland won this World Cup.

I'm being sarcastic. Sorry.

JciYfU9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RoversCeltic

GAA is a minority sport in Ireland though, more people play soccer than rugby hurling and gaelic football combined,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Rassie has done unreal stuff with the saffers and previously at Munster. His leaving on a massive high

Advertisement