Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup Final 2019 Eng vs S Africa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

ITV saying English scrum disrupted by Sinclair going off early while at the same time were calling Cole the better scrummager when he came on.

????????

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lawred2 wrote: »
    Your backside can't say square when the tight head folds inwards

Agreed, it's coles responsibility to stay square too, and he's folding like paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Online retailer in SA doing a promotion aswell. 350 odd customers who bought samsung tv's from them will be refunded if SA win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Losing Sinckler has really hurt England.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,317 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

blackwhite wrote: »
    They didn’t there. Only one infringement after the original penalty - de Klerk out at the 22. Only the one infringement bear their line

Farrell asked the same question of Garces

I'm just asking about the principle of it. You've conceded a penalty in front of the post so you do whatever you have to do not to concede a try? As long as you don't get a yellow, worst 'punishment' is the penalty comes into force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Warren gatland is sitting up with his popcorn enjoying every second of this.up yours eddie.

It's far from over and Eddie Jones may very well end up having the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Perfect half really for SA. Dominating set piece and getting the decisions from Garces.

England are so nervous it’s laughable. Some things you wouldn’t see in junior rugby. Still think they will get it together and get a try or two in the second half as there is gaps in the SA defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

MadYaker wrote: »
    Hope he slots this

Pollard doesn’t hang around with his kicks, does he? Line it up and bang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Its a question of power in the forwards. England are not getting the line breaks and yards from their forwards that they were last week. SA are as strong as them on that front, and so no clear advantage. Still think Englands extra in the backs can do it for them in the second half, but they will have to play well.

This shows why it was essential that Ireland play NZ in the 1/4. NZ forwards are lesser than these two packs, and had Ireland played their best they had some, low, chance of containing the ABs. But no chance of handling the Africans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Looks like SA got all the Weetabix this morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Still half the match to go and plenty of time for England to turn this around. But if I was an England fan I would be seriously worried now. Not by the scoreline but by that performance. Its looking more and more like they had their final last week.

Still think they have enough firepower to turn this around, but they need to find some form and fast. SA are clearly on top here.

Although its fair enough to say this match is poor quality, its still pretty compelling watching for me. Enjoying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SA playing to their strengths and england arent good enough
    It's like they don't have any other plan. This is the other England we've seen over the last couple of years - error prone, giving up penalties and just charging at guys the same size of them. Farrell needs to stop whingeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I'm just asking about the principle of it. You've conceded a penalty in front of the post so you do whatever you have to do not to concede a try? As long as you don't get a yellow, worst 'punishment' is the penalty comes into force.

Could be a penalty try also.

On the subject, how many scrum penalties before a yellow card?

A stronger ref would card for consistent penalties.... Especially within the five

However in that passage there was only two pens... And one was way out on the 22

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I thought England would be in the lead comfortably by this stage

South Africa have sowed seeds of doubt and panic

Gonna be some second half now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

England still have the capability of turning this around. At least they look like scoring a try.

That SA defence was outstanding in that 15+ phase

Its a question of power in the forwards. England are not getting the line breaks and yards from their forwards that they were last week. SA are as strong as them on that front, and so no clear advantage. Still think Englands extra in the backs can do it for them in the second half, but they will have to play well.

This shows why it was essential that Ireland play NZ in the 1/4. NZ forwards are lesser than these two packs, and had Ireland played their best they had some, low, chance of containing the ABs. But no chance of handling the Africans.

But NZ easily dispatched of SA with their 'lesser forward pack'.

In reality it's knock out rugby, and it all comes down to who performs on the day.

dregin wrote: »
    Disappointed that Garces' refusal to referee the scrum properly is the difference between the two teams here.
    It's not really, the England scrum hasn't been great anyway. It is backfiring and Cole is not exactly a top notch replacement.

You can get England +2 right now @evens.

But it doesn't exactly look like value to be honest.

SA could just keep pulling away here with set pieces pens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

England still have the capability of turning this around. At least they look like scoring a try.

That SA defence was outstanding in that 15+ phase

That works both ways, SA looked fairly handy with ball in hand too at times. Pretty similar teams overall. Which is why it’s close I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

I don't see England turning this around. Six points is a big lead in a game so close. And not sure they deserve to. Even SA's back-play looks better. And England having to defend so narrow to counteract SA's physicality has allowed huge overlaps on the wings.

Basil3 wrote: »

In reality it's knock out rugby, and it all comes down to who performs on the day.
    NZ, as they say, can play any game. They are not so hot on the fronting up stuff but it doesn't matter as they can get the ball going from anywhere. England have got that interlinked platform but it's not working at all today, SA will grind all day long, but they can play too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭amacca

Basil3 wrote: »

Agreed .... assuming a team has the players, ability, training etc much of it comes down to confidence/motivation on the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

That old cliche applies here. Next score is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Seems like you know little enough about the sport if you think that.

I know loads about the sport. More than you clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Youngs has been brutal at scrum half today. Shocking passing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I don't see England turning this around. Six points is a big lead in a game so close. And not sure they deserve to. Even SA's back-play looks better. And England having to defend so narrow to counteract SA's physicality has allowed huge overlaps on the wings.

They're a converted try away from taking the lead, they were inches away last time.

Still a 50/50 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I wouldn't be parting with any money betting on this.

It only takes a split second opportunity for the likes of May to change this.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be parting with any money betting on this.

It only takes a split second opportunity for the likes of May to change this.
    And yet it look like an age before that will happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

is_that_so wrote: »
    And yet it look like an age before that will happen!

I do hope you're right! There'll be no listening to England if they win.

Advertisement