Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandon Square waterville - Need help to know about the area

Options
  • 02-11-2019 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

I'm looking to buy a house in Brandon Square in Waterville. We had viewing and liked the house and the community but not sure about the area itself. We both work in city centre and having a school going kid and our little one is 2 yrs old.

We dont have car park space in office so we mainly rely on public transport. So what is the traffic situation to reach stephens green everyday using public transport? How long it typically takes during morning and evening.

One thing which mainly puts me off is the School. The nearest school is in Corduff and I was told that the area is rough and children's going to the school is mostly from that area.

The other options for school is in Castleknock which is 2.5 kms away from the house which would be harder for us to drop and pickup everyday.

Can someone live in and around this area advice on schools please? Where do children's in waterville go to school and what's your opinion on that area, especially Brandon square.

Thanks in advance and I'd appreciate your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

The two national schools in Blanchardstown Village are excellent.

Scoil Bhride GNS http://scoilbhridec.ie/

Scoil Bhride BNS https://www.scoilbhrideb.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Varatha

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The two national schools in Blanchardstown Village are excellent.

Scoil Bhride GNS http://scoilbhridec.ie/

Scoil Bhride BNS https://www.scoilbhrideb.com/

Thanks for your reply. Yes the schools looks good but the distance could be an issue. 2.2 kms away from the place so not sure if there is creche nearby who would facilitate the drop in and pickup service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Varatha wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Yes the schools looks good but the distance could be an issue. 2.2 kms away from the place so not sure if there is creche nearby who would facilitate the drop in and pickup service.

Those are the schools most of the kids in Waterville go to, certainly the kids in my cluster. You'll need to check with crèches and or the school in relation to drop off and pick up.

I've lived in Waterville for 15 years and love it but it does vary hugely from cluster to cluster.

If you do have to drop off in the village then the train and the 39 buses are decent options. If getting buses from near Waterville then the 38 buses. In order of speed they go 38b (morning rush hour only), 38a, 38. I only ever take a 38 as a last resort. You are usually better off waiting for the next 38a (they alternate). Having said all that the new Bus Connects plan is going to mess with bus services horribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

The houses are nice in waterville. The park is great too. You can get to the village using the under pass that comes up at the black wolf pub. You'll see all the kids crossing at the traffic lights in the morning for Scoil Bhride. It is opposite and you can drop the kids and take the bus in the village to town. Castleknock train station is close to the school also. Be mindful that it'd 2 separate schools, boys and girls.
    Be mindful that bus connects will kick in 2020/21. I believe that there will be a bus stop at the N3 junction/snugborough road. This junction is due to be upgraded this year. I believe it will have access changes to waterville.
    Junction thread here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057695640&page=3

I believe kids in waterville also get into st Francis Xavier. It's behind tesco in roselawn. They might not be top of the catchment list. The castleknock educate together (cetns) is also an option. They don't have a catchment. It first come first serve with them. Put your kids name down when they're born. I know this year they didn't full the 2 classes. There is also a Irish primary school in coolmine beside the college.
    The schools should all have after school options. Tigers are in the xaviers and cetns.
    I think there is a creche in waterville. There are a few the clonsilla road. Magic years , lollipops.

Corduff is a mixed bag. I drive through is going to work. There was 2 bonfires still burning on friday on my way home from work.
    Take a drive/ walk through waterville during the evening/day. Go to the park and have a look around. There is another underpass that comes out at the garda station at the end of blanch village.
    Check out the houses on sale clonsilla road, springlawn, summerville. roselawn areas. They're not as new as waterville but better areas and amenities.

There is an old thread on brandon square here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057363556.
    If you google waterwille boards, you'll get other threads too. It might be helpful.

Schools can only legally open enrolment the year before now, so there's no more putting names down from birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Varatha

Thank you StoptheClocks and Caranica for your information. It really helps. I have checked with the creche nearby and they do provide the drop in and pick service to St.brigids and st Francis Xavier schools. So the creche is kinda sorted out and need to look for places in the school!

Next big thingy is the everyday commute to our offices near st.green, Route 38 is 1 km walk from home and Blanch Center is 2kms walk. I would prefer to take bus from the blanch center to avoid walking in the dark if there is a car parking option and space available near to. Also considering the new Bus connect routes, heared the proposed stop would be near to the shopping center?

Do you guys know if there is an option to park the car in Blanchardstown shopping center (free or pay) and then take the bus to city for work, come back at 6pm to collect the car and leave? I am looking for all options that would work out best for us (Me, wife, childrens) so that we can place offer to the house we liked with full-hearted.

Apreciate any advice or suggestion

Thanks,
    Varatha

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Hi Varatha
    Parking is free in blanch shopping centre. Not sure if they monitor the cars parked there all day. You will soon learn that junction crossing the N3 from waterville to the shopping centre is one of the worst junctions in Ireland. You will be able to walk over quicker. The area is safe and walking at night will be fine. I believe the new bus stop will be at the new junction when it's upgraded. Check out the plans in the thread in the other post. I believe it has big changes for accessing waterville. The 17 bus goes into waterville too. Not sure what route it takes into town.
    The train is another option to Pearce. You can park for free on the old navan road near the 12th lock and walk 2 minutes along the canal.

The 17 doesn't go into town ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 himanshu4141

Hello Vartha,

I stumbled upon your post while researching for Brandon square. Thanks so much for starting this thread.

I was wondering if you ended up buying in Brandon square. if yes, can youplease share your experience. It would be good to get a first hand experience.

Thanks in advance,
    Himanshu

Advertisement