Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: Serial cable DB25M to DB25F

Options
  • 02-11-2019 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

Long shot, easy find online but I'd need to source one before Monday in/around Dublin.
    If someone has one, or the connectors only, I can solder them together.

Not looking for a USB to serial adaptor, need the old, fully pinned 25 PIN cable.
    The connectors themselves would work as well, as I can solder all of it together.

I can collect anywhere in Dublin, or somewhere in the nearby counties.

Been looking everywhere in town today, and I have not been lucky even going from these repair shops that has all the rubbish under the sun normally.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    (Will obviously pay for the cable, or connectors)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

have one but in Cork :( sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rideass

tech wrote: »
    have one but in Cork :( sorry

Thanks anyway, almost considering taking a drive to Cork but I can probably make a cable quicker with old connectors from old rubbish than it takes to go to Cork.. :)

you have about 5.5hr to make one so!! :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Did you get this sorted?

I got some cables made by a guy in :
    All Cables Ltd
    Address: 115 Cork st Dublin 8 Co. Dublin
    Phone: 014531233

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

I'm pretty sure I have some in the attic and I'm only in Meath!

Only thing is without testing them I couldn't say if a cable had all 25 pins connected straight through.
    Are you certain that's a requirement for your situation?
    What are you trying to connect?
    How long a cable do you need?

At the very least you could reterminate the DB25s if the cable is wrong.
    Do you have much experience wiring similar cables?

All Cables is a good suggestion by the way to get something made up.

• Advertisement

Thanks fellas, already got sorted. Pulled the DB25F from a docking station, soldered cables to it and got the male end of a cable. Had to get it till Monday morning, that was the crux.

good job, may I ask what you were connecting up!

Professional telecom equipment, this was for a new radiohead (RRH/RRU), 4G antenna, that has its debug card connected through an old DB25 port. This external card is then powered over USB, that connects to your PC, making it a USB to serial interface.

The manufacturer must have missed including the serial cable in the package when shipping the radio head to us.

The radio unit itself uses what is called a CPRI interface, but could not communicate directly with the radio unit without this debug card being connected over a normal serial connection that allowed me to start a terminal to it.

Who knew that all that time spent as a kid messing around with serial interfaces and soldering cables for various uses would come back as useful 25 years later. Typing out 25 years made me realize things.

The sack is getting some slack...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Rideass wrote: »
    ... Who knew that all that time spent as a kid messing around with serial interfaces and soldering cables for various uses would come back as useful 25 years later...

Ah the smell of melting flux in the morning!

I miss that too. Still have a breakout box with monitor LEDs if you ever need to troubleshoot a badly documented interface!

I worked doing cable installations and in radio for a bit so I remember when my desk had a whole range of connectors permanently bolted to the back of it to use as a jig to make up whatever cables were needed that day.
    There's been a small mark on my finger for nearly 40 years from the time I stabbed my 12 year old self with a soldering iron trying to do the work of three hands with only two. At least it didn't bleed!

Advertisement