Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage question after rate ends.

• 02-11-2019 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Am doing a new build at the moment. I will be on a fixed rate until 2023.

My question is, in 3 years time when the rate is up with the bank, and I want to renegotiate or move to another bank, can I then pay a lump sum off the mortgage? e.g., fix it for 2 years at a better rate and also pay 10k off in lump sum.

Do banks allow this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Am doing a new build at the moment. I will be on a fixed rate until 2023.

My question is, in 3 years time when the rate is up with the bank, and I want to renegotiate or move to another bank, can I then pay a lump sum off the mortgage? e.g., fix it for 2 years at a better rate and also pay 10k off in lump sum.

Do banks allow this?

Yes, you can pay as much off the mortgage if you are not in a fixed term. I.e. when your 3 years is up, you automatically go onto a variable rate. Then you can pay off the 10k, then sign up for a new fixed rate if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks Adrian.

Say in July 2023 my fixed rate is up.

I automatically go onto a variable, pay off a lump sum, and then go onto another fixed rate.

When you are on variable, you can fix at any time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Yep, but just make sure you look around at what other banks are offering too at that time to see if switching makes financial sense for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Remember house has to be built according to plans or else you can't switch.

Know a couple who had to get retention on a garage because it wasn't on plans. Once it was approved then they were allowed switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Remember house has to be built according to plans or else you can't switch.

Know a couple who had to get retention on a garage because it wasn't on plans. Once it was approved then they were allowed switch.

Thanks Alan. Didn't know that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement