Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the best hybrid car out there?

• 02-11-2019 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Myself I would think its a Toyota maybe the new Corolla or a Prius but I am not an expert. Nothing over 30k. Sure Audi probably have something amazing but you need to win the lotto to drive one so that's a no no.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

AMKC wrote: »
    Myself I would think its a Toyota maybe the new Corolla or a Prius but I am not an expert. Nothing over 30k. Sure Audi probably have something amazing but you need to win the lotto to drive one so that's a no no.

Nothing over 30k?

That rules out a Prious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/hybrid/best-hybrid-cars-and-plug-ins/
    Have a look and see what's in your budget range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Nothing over 30k?

That rules out a Prious

It does not have to be new. Can be second hand.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It does not have to be new. Can be second hand.

Late model first generation Auris came as a hybrid. It's essentially a cheap Prius.

The Prius though is probably the best overall as it's purpose built as a Hybrid and will be that little bit more fuel efficient.

Ms

Late model first generation Auris came as a hybrid. It's essentially a cheap Prius.

The Prius though is probably the best overall as it's purpose built as a Hybrid and will be that little bit more fuel efficient.

What about a Lexus CT200H? I know that would be going back a few years but is it economical and good as a hyprid?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

I've only driven the Toyota ones and the insight so can't answer the question you see the Mercedes e class ones knocking about no idea what they are like though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

Lexus GS450h with all the bells and whistles is my fav for last 10 years. Depends on what you mean by 'best'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The big question id have is why Hybrid specifically......

If it's for reliability then go for it - the Toyota/Lexus ones are pretty much the go to for decent reliability.

I'd avoid CHRs - they are just too little car for the money, ride too firmly on 18s.

A Corolla looks more boring but you can have a new out of the box example for what you'd have to pay for a CHR Hybrid 2nd hand. An estate Corolla in red or silver looks well imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭shane b

VW Passat plug in hybrid. A guy at work has one and he loves it. Don't know much about them myself.

What about a Lexus CT200H? I know that would be going back a few years but is it economical and good as a hyprid?
    It's the same as the Prius and Corolla. Biggest issues are a hard ride, poor boot space and rear seat space.

I'm sure it's as economical as the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Do you want a hybrid or a plug in hybrid?

The Golf GTE can be picked up for decent money

Audi have an A3 and a Q7 PHEV

Outlander PHEV is very popular and can be picked up for decent money from UK

Merc have a hybrid car out, C300 I think.....

Passat PHEV as well. Kia have a few models.

I would say the best value new is Kia Niro PHEV

In other words loads of options, not just Toyota. The Toyota/Lexus are in the majority just hybrid. I find PHEV is better where you have normally at least 30km of battery before it then moves into hybrid mode. Saves you more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It's the same as the Prius and Corolla. Biggest issues are a hard ride, poor boot space and rear seat space.

I'm sure it's as economical as the rest.

The CT200h uses the same powertrain as the 3rd generation Prius and Auris Hybrids. The current Corolla Hybrid uses newer technology shared with the 4th generation Prius, which is slightly more efficient.

But yes, certainly consider a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) if it suits your driving, i.e. short commute and the ability to plug in at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

I have a Golf GTE and it’s a good car. Really depends on your mileage tho and what you want in a car. Better to look in the Hybrid and EV section

Ms

Old diesel wrote: »
    The big question id have is why Hybrid specifically......

If it's for reliability then go for it - the Toyota/Lexus ones are pretty much the go to for decent reliability.

I'd avoid CHRs - they are just too little car for the money, ride too firmly on 18s.

A Corolla looks more boring but you can have a new out of the box example for what you'd have to pay for a CHR Hybrid 2nd hand. An estate Corolla in red or silver looks well imo.

The brother is thinking about changing his current diesel car for hybrid.

The CHR would be out of the price range anyway.

I agree the new Corolla is hatch or estate form does look nice in red. Can not say for the saloon but have seen the saloon in silver and it looks good in silver.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The brother is thinking about changing his current diesel car for hybrid.

The CHR would be out of the price range anyway.

I agree the new Corolla is hath or estate form does look nice in red. Can not say for the saloon but have seen the saloon in silver and it looks good in silver.

What is his driving requirements?

My sister in law has CHR, other members have RAV and Camry. They are Toyota people.

What is his requirements?

Ms

Shefwedfan wrote: »

My sister in law has CHR, other members have RAV and Camry. They are Toyota people.

What is his requirements?

A car about the size of a Focus or Golf and he does mixed driving depending on what his work is that day. Some days it might a short drive and other days might be longer and but overall he would not be doing as much driving as when he got the diesel car. He was doing a lot more driving then. Its a small diesel car but the engine is a 1.6 and has a nice bit of power. I would think driving a hybrid will take getting used to and maybe changing driving style. Am I right?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

My sister in law has CHR, other members have RAV and Camry. They are Toyota people

Out of interest what is the fuel economy like on the Camry. I'd love one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hector Island

Interesting thread. I'm looking for a hybrid at the moment, been recommended to look at Toyota, but don't want to lose boot space. Driving an old Yaris currently, and like the cut of Toyotas, but am willing to risk a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I was back in the UK over the weekend, and my Dad recently got a new Corolla Hybrid hatch, so had a little spin in it with him.

He's only done about 1,200 miles so far, but average fuel consumption is showing as 59.5mpg - this would be average pensioner pottering around driving.

It really is a great looking car - 2nd highest UK spec I think he has, in Black so nice wheels, tinted rear windows, heated seats, Nav, adaptive cruise (which will never get used) reverse camera etc. Leather and sunroof are about the only things missing.

He's more or less delighted with it, just let down by the tiny boot. There is space under the boot floor around the spare wheel - not sure if a spare is standard or he specced it on the car.

I'm looking for a hybrid at the moment, been recommended to look at Toyota, but don't want to lose boot space.

You'd be best off going to a dealer and checking them out for yourself. Though the only one I've seen with particularly awful boot space is the current Prius PHV, but the battery is about seven times the capacity of the non-plugin hybrids.

• Advertisement

You'd be best off going to a dealer and checking them out for yourself. Though the only one I've seen with particularly awful boot space is the current Prius PHV, but the battery is about seven times the capacity of the non-plugin hybrids.

Thanks zilog. Another issue I'm looking at is to get a good warranty with the deal. Boot space in the older Prius must be better than the new one? Cheers!

It's only the current Prius PHV (Plug-in Hybrid) that has a terribly small boot. I have the first generation Plug-in (2012-2015) and it's pretty much the same as the standard Gen 3 Prius (2009-2015) except for lack of a spare wheel well. The current standard Prius (non-plugin) isn't too bad.

It's only the current Prius PHV (Plug-in Hybrid) that has a terribly small boot. I have the first generation Plug-in (2012-2015) and it's pretty much the same as the standard Gen 3 Prius (2009-2015) except for lack of a spare wheel well. The current standard Prius (non-plugin) isn't too bad.

Thanks for that, zilog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Out of interest what is the fuel economy like on the Camry. I'd love one.

Driving it with a light-ish foot, around a mixture city, country roads and some motorway, I'm getting about 5.7 litres/100 km. Long motorway drive with smaller amount of city driving, it seemed to go down to about 6.2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Looking at a hybrid myself, driving a 2006 Avensis that I've had since 2009, not ready for full electric so think hybrid best route to go as I'll keep it at least 10 years again.

Last new car I bought was 1999, man alive things are way more pricey since then! Top spec Corolla saloon 32k, Is it just the hybrid power train that makes these things so expensive? Taking top spec Octavia (not the RS) as a comparison, 6k in the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm driving an Optima PHEV estate. You can pick them up in the UK for decent money. Plenty of saloon models, estates are harder to come by. 7 year warranty is transferable.

Great car, not exciting to drive but does what you need and does it well. Loads of gadgets too and very comfortable.

I guess it depends on your needs but my preference would be PHEV at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What does the Prius do differently to other hybrids in the range to be so fuel efficient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

PHEV Skoda Octavia coming in second half of 2020 if you can wait.

Gael23 wrote: »
    What does the Prius do differently to other hybrids in the range to be so fuel efficient?

Why do you think the Prius is so efficient?

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »

Aerodynamics and weight reduction are the only real differences, the power train is the same as what you'd find in the Corolla and C-HR hybrids. The real world difference isn't massive.

Advertisement