Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowboys car sellers in donedeal

• 03-11-2019 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Good morning,
    Short story....
    My wife needed urgently a cheap car for school runs and kids related
    She checked donedeal and she found one suitable car with recent nct,etc and based in dundrum dublin 14 as per description....trick???I doubt he is really based there....just parking the cars there
    Seller was asked about general questions and he informed car was driving very good and that being to carrying kids he will never play with it
    When driving the car home noticed the clutch slippery so seller was aware of this issue for sure
    She was near to have an accident this week with the kids as on a hill the clutch died totally
    Btw local garage was fully booked and appointment made for next tuesday...a bit late I know

I understand to try to avoid people to buy from this kind of cowboys see below an example of his profile

Toyota auris 2008 2850 eur

jack
    South City, Dublin
    View all ads
    Send Message
    Show Phone Number

DoneDealing since 2015
    Listed ads 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    he informed car was driving very good and that being to carrying kids he will never play with it

This is where I would have ran a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Good morning,
    Short story....
    She checked donedeal and she found one suitable car with recent nct,etc and based in dundrum dublin 14 as per description....trick???I doubt he is really based there....just parking the cars there
    Seller was asked about general questions and he informed car was driving very good and that being to carrying kids he will never play with it
    When she drive the car home she noticed the clutch slippery so seller was aware of this issue for sure
    She was near to have an accident this week with the kids as on a hill the clutch died totally
    Btw local garage was fully booked and appointment made for next tuesday...a bit late I know

I understand to try to avoid people to buy from this kind of cowboys see below an example of his profile

jack
    South City, Dublin
    View all ads
    Send Message
    Show Phone Number

DoneDealing since 2015
    Listed ads 5

Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear of your misfortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Sorry to say it but donedeal seems to be infested with lads selling cars from their front garden, with totally unprofessional and dubious sounding adverts. The amount of lads doing this seems massive based on donedeal of late. I'd personally avoid all of them if they can't be bothered to post a professional sounding advert.

Good morning,
    Short story....
    When she drive the car home she noticed the clutch slippery so seller was aware of this issue for sure

jack
    South City, Dublin
    View all ads
    Send Message
    Show Phone Number

DoneDealing since 2015
    Listed ads 5

Post the link to one of his ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Is there any way to verify only 1 previous owner?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What do you think the seller did to prevent the clutch slipping on the test drive?
    Is there some trick that is easy to do that prevents slippage for a short time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Did she not notice the clutch was slippery before she bought it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How long did she test drive it for? If you say that the clutch was visibly failing on the way home it must have been similar during any test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Coincidence, I was only looking at a Volvo he has for sale, thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear you were caught out.
    DoneDeal is so dodgy

Graham1978 wrote: »
    DoneDeal is so dodgy

It's destroying the good reputation that second hand car salesmen are known for :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Twister2 wrote: »
    Is there any way to verify only 1 previous owner?

Think the tax book shows the number of previous owners.

lawred2 wrote: »
    How long did she test drive it for? If you say that the clutch was visibly failing on the way home it must have been similar during any test drive.

He doesn't mention test driving it at all, so they may not have done. Not a good move if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Hi all,
    it was a rookie mistake
    She didn't test the car as she is only confi on its area
    As she wasn't going to test it she asked general driving info and all was ok
    I am unable to copy its link but he has actually an alfa romeo 159, volvo,...all the in dundrum dublin 14 on donedeal
    a lot of the cars I noticed carry a yellow tag with the keys....car from auctions???
    It is just a car, a lemon car I would say but few honest people over there damaged with this ones
    regards

Graham1978 wrote: »
    Coincidence, I was only looking at a Volvo he has for sale, thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear you were caught out.
    DoneDeal is so dodgy

I am happy if at least I avoided a possible bad experience
    ;)

Hi all,

I'm not sure I follow, what area and what is confi?

The yellow tag thing is normal for anyone who sells many cars. It will have a description of which car the key is for so they don't get confused.

It's best to avoid anyone who sells large number of cars in an unofficial way.
    Go for official car dealers or genuine private sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Donedeal isn't the problem here, it's people buying cars without due diligence, if a lad wants to sell a dodgy car its not his problem some fool will buy it off him

Donedeal isn't the problem here, it's people buying cars without due diligence, if a lad wants to sell a dodgy car its not his problem some fool will buy it off him

Nah thats victim blaming you see. Just because someone is naive doesnt mean its fair game tk take advantage of them. The problem here is a cowboy having a platforn to sell something he knows to be ****e.

Nah thats victim blaming you see. Just because someone is naive doesnt mean its fair game tk take advantage of them. The problem here is a cowboy having a platforn to sell something he knows to be ****e.

I'd say the taxman would have some interest in this guy but apart from that I doubt he did anything illegal. Isn't a clutch a wear and tear item?

tuxy wrote: »
    I'd say the taxman would have some interest in this guy but apart from that I doubt he did anything illegal. Isn't a clutch a wear and tear item?

Sale of goods act might come in if he is a registered business. But hes not. Revenue wont care either. If i were the OP id be taking care of it in a different way.

On this case was in donedeal but the net for sure is full of tricks like this one

Maybe we can be considered fools or better lacked knowledge but at least we try always to be as honest as possible with the people

• Advertisement

I agree with you but anyone who suffered a slippery clutch knows it is a very noticeable issue when driving so you cant say all is perfect

I agree with you but anyone who suffered a slippery clutch knows it is a very noticeable issue when driving so you cant say all is perfect

I've had cars where it was only noticeable in some gears.
    Did she buy the car right after viewing it?
    How was she able to drive home but not test drive?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's destroying the good reputation that second hand car salesmen are known for :mad:
    Surely you meant to use a sarcasm smiley when describing the good reputation of car dealers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

What do you think the seller did to prevent the clutch slipping on the test drive?
    Is there some trick that is easy to do that prevents slippage for a short time?

Clutches rarely "GO" just like that. It start's with small slipping when starting off from the kerb,and when changing gear and becomes more noticeable over time. Eventually reaching the stage where it fails. An experienced drive could "nurse" the clutch along for quite awhile. But of course, if a new driver starts driving it, then thinking that everything is OK, it will not last long. This is what happened in this case.

Hi all,
    it was a rookie mistake
    I am unable to copy its link but he has actually an alfa romeo 159, volvo,...all the in dundrum dublin 14 on donedeal
    a lot of the cars I noticed carry a yellow tag with the keys....car from auctions???
    It is just a car, a lemon car I would say but few honest people over there damaged with this ones
    regards

Clutch fitted in the last five months it says :rolleyes:

Here are all his ads.
    pics taking at a different house in the same estate for each one it looks like.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-for-sale-new-nct-today/23355093

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-new-nct-and-taxed/23298174

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-diesel-taxed-for-the-year/23386838

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-auris/23386753

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-new-nct-today/23346516

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Auris was purchased by a dealer on 25th October, car has 2 owners so OP would be 3rd. Car is a UK import looking at UK service stamps in service history and registration.

Donedeal offer a Greenlight verification check on cars, this car didn't have this check done, seller likely had something to hide, possibly car could be a write-off.

My guess is seller is buying up stock offloaded by dealers that is too old or in too bad a condition to be economicaly viable for dealer to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Whocare

Don't see a problem with what he doing if you want a warrant buy from a dealer simple

Whocare wrote: »
    Don't see a problem with what he doing if you want a warrant buy from a dealer simple

So no problem if he blatantly lies?

blade1 wrote: »

How do you know he lied maybe when he bought the car there was a a receipt for the clutch being done .It old car cheap clutch put in it and went faulty

• Advertisement

How do you know he lied maybe when he bought the car there was a a receipt for the clutch being done .It old car cheap clutch put in it and went faulty

I'll take it you missed the "if".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Unfortunately being naive does make you fair game for these types of people. If people did the basic checks then they wouldn't be able to sell their dodgy wares. There have been dishonest sellers since before the internet e.g. Don't buy a pig in a poke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Hi all,
    it was a rookie mistake
    regards

https://www.donedeal.ie/all?userId=2049437

You can suspect that but not prove it.

I doubt this guy relies on all his customers not doing a test drive to pass on dodgy cars.

I'll take it you missed the "if".

I don't know what your problem is . If you want a warrant paid dealer premium you and people like you want best of both worlds buy cheap and and come back if something go wrong.

You can suspect that but not prove it.

I doubt this guy relies on all his customers not doing a test drive to pass on dodgy cars.

Let face it only a complete dreamer wouldn't test drive a old car like that.

• Advertisement

I don't know what your problem is . If you want a warrant paid dealer premium you and people like you want best of both worlds buy cheap and and come back if something go wrong.
    I bought my car off a main dealer so you are wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get a mechanic to check a car over in any purchase....

Was the op not told this on another thread....

Donedeal offer a Greenlight verification check on cars, this car didn't have this check done, seller likely had something to hide, possibly car could be a write-off.

The green tick is only when you put the serial number from the vehicle registration cert into donedeal when you are uploading the ad!

M

ronaneire wrote: »
    The green tick is only when you put the serial number from the vehicle registration cert into donedeal when you are uploading the ad!

Yes I know, and not a single ad the seller has up feature this.

The Auris was purchased by a dealer on 25th October, car has 2 owners so OP would be 3rd. Car is a UK import looking at UK service stamps in service history and registration.

My guess is seller is buying up stock offloaded by dealers that is too old or in too bad a condition to be economicaly viable for dealer to sell.
    Yes I know, and not a single ad the seller has up feature this.

Maybe he hadn't the VLC to hand when he put the ad up.

Donedeal need to stop allowing "private sellers" selling multiple cars!

• Advertisement
    M

Maybe he hadn't the VLC to hand when he put the ad up.

He did...

YWIzMjBjMmM0MDRhZTk4MmI2ZjkzMDM0M2Y5OWExMTcb-A-JOrWC0xTppWRyvCdmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU2NDU4MjF8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    Donedeal need to stop allowing "private sellers" selling multiple cars!

Buyers should also insist on only buying from person named on the logbook, that facilitates a lot of this.

He did...

Buyers should also insist on only buying from person named on the logbook, that facilitates a lot of this.

Not if you are legit and in the motor trade, That is where the Shannon is notified of the transfer and the motor trader has it to hand!

M

Not if you are legit and in the motor trade, That is where the Shannon is notified of the transfer and the motor trader has it to hand!

I meant for private sales obviously.

I meant for private sales obviously.

Agreed. However is Jack in the motor trade or getting a few cars from a "mate" in the trade and sells them on the side?
    It won't be long before you need your PPS number to purchase a car, I am sure revenue are well aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A professional dodgy fcuker.
    Mike brewer has a lot to answer for if you ask me.
    Idiots watching him on tv boasting about his “profits” and Eddie China with an unpaid labour bill.
    The gullible think they will be the next mikey brewer and start trading in sh1te box cars chasing the “profit”.
    The same fcukers then wouldn’t know a clutch from a wiper motor.
    I’d advise to stay well clear of the dreamers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You’d have a better chance of catching a white blackbird than the likelihood of there being 4 brand new tyres on the 1200 euro accord.
    4 of the shiniest part worn,unmatched ditch finders fitted I’d bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Donedeal is full of these road side traders passing off as private sellers. In saying that anyone buying anything needs to do proper due diligence before hand. It's a big bad world out there and buyers need to have common sense and be savy before handing over any money blindly. I have sympathy for the OP but being naive enough to buy a car without test driving it or doing any sort of background checks was always going to end in disaster whether it was from this road side trader or the next guy.

It's not nice and hopefully a worn clutch is the only issue here but the one silver lining is that the OP will learn a valuable lesson from this experience in that if you leap without looking you have no idea where you will land.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I have sympathy for the OP but being naive enough to buy a car without test driving it

Do you think being naive caused this?

Sounds like an entirely different issue to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What does "she is only confi on its area" mean?

If you assume a car doesn't need to be test driven then yes that naivety.

bazz26 wrote: »
    What does "she is only confi on its area" mean?

No idea, I did ask(no answer). I feel it may hold the key to how this went so wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement