Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowboys car sellers in donedeal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

tuxy wrote: »
    No idea, I did ask(no answer). I feel it may hold the key to how this went so wrong.
    Hi all,
    She is only used to drive in our local area...home to school etc
    She choose the car and I drove it later to home as my insurance in theory covers me driving another car
    Also my fault?could be but it can happens even to me
    I noticed it slippery and told her and the need to be replaced
    She was wrong with the guy thats all
    What is not honest is to sell something as driving perfect when is not and you know it furthemore when kids are involved
    Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

So a woman with no interest or knowledge of cars bought one in a hurry from a very obvious wheeler-dealer seller on DoneDeal without even test driving it, never mind having a mechanic to inspect it? This was always going to end one way. No sympathy whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unfortunately the world is not a perfect place. Doesn't matter whether it's a car, a tv, a mobile phone, etc. When buying anything that's used or second hand you need to be cautious and vigilant as a buyer. At the end of the day you are dealing with complete strangers that you simply don't know anything about. Don't automatically assume that a seller is going to be honest with you about something being wrong with what they are selling as it puts them at a disadvantage. It is up to the buyer to protect themselves by doing as many checks as possible. A slipping clutch is something that is not easily hidden by a seller, it is something a test drive will show as it did when you drove the car after it was already bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

He's a kerbside flipper of extremely cheap cars going by the 5 ads he has up. Buyer beware, people need to be clever entering into this type of deal. I've bought good cars in that price region before, but always brought my cousin the mechanic and threw him a few quid for his expertise.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the world is not a perfect place. Doesn't matter whether it's a car, a tv, a mobile phone, etc. When buying anything that's used or second hand you need to be cautious and vigilant as a buyer. At the end of the day you are dealing with complete strangers that you simply don't know anything about. Don't automatically assume that a seller is going to be honest with you about something being wrong with what they are selling as it puts them at a disadvantage. It is up to the buyer to protect themselves by doing as many checks as possible. A slipping clutch is something that is not easily hidden by a seller, it is something a test drive will show as it did when you drove the car after it was already bought.

I totally agree with you,she was the perfect match that's all
    Rgds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You'd have thought he's be a bit more clever in where and how the pixs were taken - two of the cars are outside the same house (which might be instructive).

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-auris/23386753
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-diesel-taxed-for-the-year/23386838

Willowfield Avenue Goatstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Often main dealers will sell cars to this type of trader.
    It doesn't mean that they are all bad cars.
    They may have a bit of body damage, parking dings etc. that the main dealer won't bother fixing. They may be too old for the profile he want's to project for his forecourt.
    You can get a good car but as others have said be careful and bring someone to look over the car and test drive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭bmc58

Snowfire wrote: »
    Think the tax book shows the number of previous owners.
    It sure does,(at least it's legally supposed to).It could of course be fraudulent dealing with these chancers.

Donedeal isn't the problem here, it's people buying cars without due diligence, if a lad wants to sell a dodgy car its not his problem some fool will buy it off him

You are totally correct.As the old saying goes and still is so pertinent still today.."Fools and their money are soon parted".

• Advertisement

I'd say the taxman would have some interest in this guy but apart from that I doubt he did anything illegal. Isn't a clutch a wear and tear item?

Well if a seller knows there's a fault in a car and sells it as fine that just can't be right.

You'd have thought he's be a bit more clever in where and how the pixs were taken - two of the cars are outside the same house (which might be instructive).

Willowfield Avenue Goatstown.

If that's the place then I've actually met this guy there on one occasion. A friend of mine was looking at buying a Golf a couple of years ago and, because he has very little knowledge of cars, he asked me to come along. There were a few rough looking cars parked on the road, I knew they were all his but he confirmed it anyway without me asking. The Golf we saw was rough - damage on the body, badly worn inside, very little history - just an all round unloved car. Nobody could mistake this guy for a professional or trustworthy person so, again, no sympathy from me.

Sale of goods act might come in if he is a registered business. But hes not. Revenue wont care either. If i were the OP id be taking care of it in a different way.

Normal people don't go down't that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Darren85858585

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    If that's the place then I've actually met this guy there on one occasion. A friend of mine was looking at buying a Golf a couple of years ago and, because he has very little knowledge of cars, he asked me to come along. There were a few rough looking cars parked on the road, I knew they were all his but he confirmed it anyway without me asking. The Golf we saw was rough - damage on the body, badly worn inside, very little history - just an all round unloved car. Nobody could mistake this guy for a professional or trustworthy person so, again, no sympathy from me.

Short stocky bodybuilder type lad?

Short stocky bodybuilder type lad?

Not sure I'd say he looked like a bodybuilder - stocky alright though.

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    She is only used to drive in our local area...home to school etc
    She choose the car and I drove it later to home as my insurance in theory covers me driving another car
    Also my fault?could be but it can happens even to me
    I noticed it slippery and told her and the need to be replaced
    She was wrong with the guy thats all
    What is not honest is to sell something as driving perfect when is not and you know it furthemore when kids are involved
    Regards

Be very careful with your insurance and assuming things that you are covered for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Darren85858585

Not sure I'd say he looked like a bodybuilder - stocky alright though.

Yeah know all about him from personal experience. He lives in Goatstown and parks cars all over the place except outside his house. Stating the obvious his name isn't Jack either.

He's a kerbside flipper of extremely cheap cars going by the 5 ads he has up. Buyer beware, people need to be clever entering into this type of deal. I've bought good cars in that price region before, but always brought my cousin the mechanic and threw him a few quid for his expertise.

Smart move.For €100 or less to bring a mechanic with you is a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

DD should stop Dealers fraudently posing as private sellers/car owners

Outside of that there's realistically no warranty priced into a 2000 euro car -sold as seen and you need a mechanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I think the OP knows he messed up with the purchase of this car but I do have sympathy for him and his wife.

I suspect the op and his wife are not Irish and may not be as clued up and easily recognise some of our special car dealers and their ways and your wife may have had to much trust in his spiel.

OP,I would say if this car drives well and has no other issues then buy a clutch kit and get some one reliable to do it for you and it may turn out to be a decent car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

tipptom wrote: »
    I think the OP knows he messed up with the purchase of this car but I do have sympathy for him and his wife.

I suspect the op and his wife are not Irish and may not be as clued up and easily recognise some of our special car dealers and their ways and your wife may have had to much trust in his spiel.

OP,I would say if this car drives well and has no other issues then buy a clutch kit and get some one reliable to do it for you and it may turn out to be a decent car.

It's the same in any country, if you don't know what you are doing or looking at you get someone that does....

Cars are dangerous and should be treated so and get fully checked over and if one thinks because it has NCT it's going to be fine then they are really dreaming...

I believe the op was already told on another thread to make sure to get car checked over and even if not there is a section on the motors forum on how to keep safe buying...

• Advertisement

tipptom wrote: »

I know she was wrong and also me but sometimes you have to be wrong to know new things
    We are not irish but I think is a kind of international rule too nice/ cheap to be good
    Car was already towed to a garage to try to fix it
    Here I like people way to handle certain situations...on my place this guy would have a lot of trouble selling this way

Twister2 wrote: »

Let's hear your idea on how they will be able to do that.

Let's hear your idea on how they will be able to do that.

register with a passport or driving licence

submit log book to verify ownership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

There's your new business, off you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They'd probably lose a lot of money then.

I'm assuming they want to keep the site alive so I don't think they'll go for that.

I'm assuming they want to keep the site alive so I don't think they'll go for that.

costs nothing and answers your question

i see all the dealers are here

terrydel wrote: »
    Sorry to say it but donedeal seems to be infested with lads selling cars from their front garden, with totally unprofessional and dubious sounding adverts. The amount of lads doing this seems massive based on donedeal of late. I'd personally avoid all of them if they can't be bothered to post a professional sounding advert.

That's what it's for isn't it?

Well at least as per private messages received here I know I am not the first one and surely the last one who had a bad experience with this guy.
    Several out there...
    Rgds anf thanks for all the xtra info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well at least as per private messages received here I know I am not the first one and surely the last one who had a bad experience with this guy.
    Several out there...
    Rgds anf thanks for all the xtra info

Go back to him, tell him it's going to cost X and see will he contribute....

I sold a 4x4 before and it had full service history but it blew a piston through the block....

I sold at a profit but helped the new owner out by giving half towards replacement engine.

I wasn't in any way shifting rubbish and it was just unlucky it happened.

Go back to him, tell him it's going to cost X and see will he contribute....

I sold a 4x4 before and it had full service history but it blew a piston through the block....

I sold at a profit but helped the new owner out by giving half towards replacement engine.

I wasn't in any way shifting rubbish and it was just unlucky it happened.

Logical but I dont want any dirty money back
    I contacted him just saying not to be honest and clear without any answer 😉
    Thanks for the idea and fair play to you

Logical but I dont want any dirty money back
    I contacted him just saying not to be honest and clear without any answer ��
    Thanks for the idea and fair play to you

Why would it be dirty, it'd be your own money back. Slim chance of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I know she was wrong and also me but sometimes you have to be wrong to know new things
    We are not irish but I think is a kind of international rule too nice/ cheap to be good
    Car was already towed to a garage to try to fix it
    Here I like people way to handle certain situations...on my place this guy would have a lot of trouble selling this way

All he did was sell a car with a bad clutch, which you noticed when you drove home. You let your wife off in the car with a bad clutch not the seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

blade1 wrote: »

That Auris (the RN reg one in the link) is in the name of Beaufort Motors, 29 Beaufort Downs, Rathfarnham, Dublin 24.

Blatant disregard for the previous owner of that 159 to, showing his name address and phone number on the ad,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That Auris (the RN reg one in the link) is in the name of Beaufort Motors, 29 Beaufort Downs, Rathfarnham, Dublin 24.

Blatant disregard for the previous owner of that 159 to, showing his name address and phone number on the ad,

True Colm,be one way of finding out why he sold it though.

Del2005 wrote: »
    All he did was sell a car with a bad clutch, which you noticed when you drove home. You let your wife off in the car with a bad clutch not the seller.

Good seller good hubby tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

OP you should ask him for half the replacement cost of the clutch.

This week looks like he is gonna be Owen instead of Jack in donedeal...
    Rgds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

This week looks like he is gonna be Owen instead of Jack in donedeal...
    Rgds

Have you asked him to meet you half way on the replacement of the clutch?

Have you asked him to meet you half way on the replacement of the clutch?

I sent a private message just letting him know what happened without answer
    We had enough with this issue/guy
    Thanks for the idea

soundbyte argument

lets say they have car sales as an offshoot with id registration

customers are happy and know if it's a dealer or genuine private sale

revenue is brought into the loop

rogue traders clear off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Any one buying a car be it on Donedeal, Adverts etc..private sale approach in with the mind there is something wrong with it and it is my job to find it before handing over the cash, if you don't know nothing about cars then take someone who does and always test drive it yourself, not just to see if there's is something wrong with it, you might not like how a particular model drives anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Looks like he pulled all his ads from Donedeal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I'm not sure I follow, what area and what is confi?

The yellow tag thing is normal for anyone who sells many cars. It will have a description of which car the key is for so they don't get confused.

It's best to avoid anyone who sells large number of cars in an unofficial way.
    Go for official car dealers or genuine private sales.

Its not that hard.
    He means confident in her area driving.
    I assume hes not a native english speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

bazz26 wrote: »
    What does "she is only confi on its area" mean?

If you assume a car doesn't need to be test driven then yes that naivety.
    No idea, I did ask(no answer). I feel it may hold the key to how this went so wrong.

You seriously cant have an educated guess?

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Looks like he pulled all his ads from Donedeal!

Issue was reported to donedeal...perhaps them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

terrydel wrote: »
    You seriously cant have an educated guess?

Original post said she was unable to take a test drive but was able to drive it home, I couldn't figure out how that happened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Outside of that there's realistically no warranty priced into a 2000 euro car -sold as seen and you need a mechanic

I've bought 3 cars at sub 2k and they all had warranties.

I've bought 3 cars at sub 2k and they all had warranties.
    Is possible to know where?
    Rgds

• Advertisement
Advertisement