Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI CUP FINAL Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Incredible, what a finish.
    I can never understand why teams go mad celebrating a goal when the game isn't over and then let one in.
    Rovers will be sick if they lose this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Fücking hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Shams would be mad to let Byrne go for anything less than €1.5m cash. He runs the show and will play a big role for them next year again. If they win the league they'll get over €1m from the CL. Need to unearth a striker though..

We'll see if the board believe in Bradley when the offers start coming in next month for Byrne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Byrne is just on a different level, Shields has been a huge loss for Dundalk aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Oat23 wrote: »
    Shams would be mad to let Byrne go for anything less than €1.5m cash. He runs the show and will play a big role for them next year again. If they win the league they'll get over €1m from the CL. Need to unearth a striker though..

We'll see if the board believe in Bradley when the offers start coming in next month for Byrne.

What contract is Byrne under at Rovers? I’d agree Defo should take no less than 1 million we have seen good players in this league move abroad for peanuts but I’d argue Byrne is one of the best players this league has had in years he is a different gravy compared to those others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Good refereeing there in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

major bill wrote: »
    What contract is Byrne under at Rovers? I’d agree Defo should take no less than 1 million we have seen good players in this league move abroad for peanuts but I’d argue Byrne is one of the best players this league has had in years he is a different gravy compared to those others!

I think he's under contract until the end of 2021 but I might be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Don't understand why the manager's are not maxing out their subs. Surely the bench players are better fresh than their starting players after 105 minutes. Shamrock have 2, Dundalk 1 left*

*that's assuming you get the extra sub for extra time

Quality penalties from Rovers!

Great game of football, great advertisement for league!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Feel sick cheering for Rovers but thank you for keep our record going :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That goalie is deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

Quality penalties from Rovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

You’ll do well to see three better penalties than the first 3 for rovers. Top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Game was a great advertisement for Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Game was a great advertisement for Irish football.

100%... the overall quality that is now to be seen not only in showpiece occasions such as today but every week basically shows how much improvement there has been throughout Irish football. Future looking bright.

• Advertisement

Imagine being a Thomas Davis GAA fan tonight. First time reaching the Dublin County Final in over 30 years. Lost. Meanwhile Rovers, the club they went to war with over the Tallaght Stadium, challenged the planning decision in the High Court (and lost) and called on people to vote against politicians who didn't support the GAA, win the Cup.

Awwwwwwwwwwww.

Imagine being a Thomas Davis GAA fan tonight. First time reaching the Dublin County Final in over 30 years. Lost. Meanwhile Rovers, the club they went to war with over the Tallaght Stadium, challenged the planning decision in the High Court (and lost) and called on people to vote against politicians who didn't support the GAA, win the Cup.

Awwwwwwwwwwww.

They’re on the up and it’s been a great year for them regardless of Shamrock Rovers winning a penalty shootout in a different sport.

They’re on the up and it’s been a great year for them regardless of Shamrock Rovers winning a penalty shootout in a different sport.

I guess every year after you sink a fortune into a futile High Court case, and adopt a position so utterly ridiculous that even the GAA mad Minister said take a hike, is a step back towards normality.

I guess every year after you sink a fortune into a futile High Court case, and adopt a position so utterly ridiculous that even the GAA mad Minister said take a hike, is a step back towards normality.

And they’re thriving regardless of what they spent. Go out and enjoy the Rovers win and don’t be so bitter because you weren’t picked for under 12’s back in the day.

I’m sure most Rovers fans couldn’t give a ****e and are out to enjoy the win!! Thomas Davis getting to final was a big achievement in itself!

Bit petty to be bringing them into this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Omackeral wrote: »
    Classy Alan Mannus not facing the flag or clapping the anthem :pac:

Who gives a ****. He's not Irish (or at least doesn't consider himself to be) why should he. Do visiting national teams face it?
    sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah noticed it myself, grass is definitely longer than usual.. normally a very slick surface. Probably Micks doing ahead of the Denmark game :P

With two games in one day they keep the grass longer

Great game, we definitely deserved it but I would be lying if I said I wasn't having palpitations at the end there

Anyway see ya sometime tomorrow lads. She wore...

And they’re thriving regardless of what they spent. Go out and enjoy the Rovers win and don’t be so bitter because you weren’t picked for under 12’s back in the day.

:D

It seems like you don't really understand the word "bitter". I'm amused Rovers won on a day when Thomas Davis lost. Because I remember the way they acted, and it was nasty.

In the meantime, I see you've posted about Bohs and Dublin GAA clubs. Oh dear oh dear. Bad day all round, was it?

It seems like you don't really understand the word "bitter". I'm amused Rovers won on a day when Thomas Davis lost. Because I remember the way they acted, and it was nasty.

In the meantime, I see you've posted about Bohs and Dublin GAA clubs. Oh dear oh dear. Bad day all round, was it?

We won our county final today so it was a great day all round. Glad to see Shamrock Rovers do well too, nice to see the classic clubs doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Shamrock Rovers 100% deserved the cup today. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Rovers had more of the play although Dundalk possibly had the better chances. Still Dundalk cant really complain about the result. Byrne had some game for Rovers, some of his passes were inch perfect and his positioning was great, always available to be picked out. Was surprised he didn't get man of the match, Lopes was solid but didn't really stand out.

Dundalk will rue Shields absence, they were overran at times in the midfield particularly the first 20 minutes and they never really got a hold of the ball in the entire match.

Really enjoyable match and there's always drama in the Fai cup final. Atmosphere was electric and fai cup final day really is the best value day in sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Feel sick cheering for Rovers but thank you for keep our record going :)

Agree.

I'll never be able to forgive myself:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Whatever about bitter, it does seem very petty that the foremost thought on your mind is to give out about Thomas Davis (who seem to be rising through the ranks in hurling and football) after Rovers win the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I was at the game. Greg Bolger was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Great to see over 33k at the game today. Attendances seem to be booming especially with the Dublin clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just home from a great day out, great atmosphere in Ringsend and around the stadium before the game, got chatting to lots of sound fans from both sides who had traveled a long way to be there today. Good game of football I thought despite not a whole lot of goal mouth action, Rovers came out all guns blazing but Dundalk never necessarily looked like they were in trouble. I thought Rovers just about deserved it over the course of the 120 mins but not much between them at all, Burke and Byrne might not have had their best games in Rovers shirts but both looked like classy players out there, Finn put in a great shift as well I thought but Pico a deserved MOTM.

Great to see how much it meant to both the players and the fans. I was sitting close to the Rovers bench and seemed to be in the vicinity of a lot of the Rovers players' families, a lot of emotion on show at the end of the game. Bradley has gotten a lot of abuse from our fans in the past, at the time you could argue it was somewhat deserved, but he has really got a good squad of players together and playing great football. Fantastic to see them win a trophy and cap off a good season overall, hopefully next season they can close the gap on Dundalk and push them for the title. A long wait from now until the start of the new season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Give it its own day out in Tallaght with a near full house. The women's national side plays out there.
    It's daft jamming it in at 12 in an empty LR.
    It throws off the kick off time for the men's final.
    Doesn't seem to suit anyone.

I usually agree with your takes on the game but in this it's absolutely no way. I am massively opposed to the idea that not playing the cup final at the national stadium would somehow be good for the women's game.

I've been involved with Wexford Youths Women for a good number of years now, and from a commercial and sponsors perspective, it's fantastic to be playing at the national stadium with the RTE cameras there live (I don't think we should kid ourselves that they would do the same if it was at a different ground on a different day. They never ever broadcast a single other day in the women's football season for it's own sake even for highlights, and EVEN if they actually have a camera there recording it)

From the player's perspective, it's a gigantic boost too. These players will likely never get any other chance to play at this stage. It's a very large part of what gives the Women's FAI Cup the prestige that it has.

From the staff/volunteers, it's an absolutely magnificent moment too. For the women's league, Ferrycarrig Park is relative luxury. To get this one day out at a proper proper stadium, it's a wonderful experience and I think it's one we have earned.

For this game, we do get a relatively good number of neutral fans at the match compared to any other game in the year. For what possible reason, given everything above, would more of them somehow come out to Tallaght Stadium or whatever other ground come to the match.

I feel like I have lived and breathed matches like this in the modern era of domestic women's football, given my unusually lucky position of being in and around Wexford Youths Women for the past several years. I am passionately opposed to any movement of the FAI cup final to a lesser stadium and different day, and feel the FAI has this situation as well fixed as it can be. The attendance at the Women's National League has been undoubtedly disappointing this year but I feel moving the final would be just an attempt in burying the issue.

I feel the issue is that clubs like Peamount and Shelbourne need to get their fanbase and fan facilites sorted. PRL Park is not a good ground at all for fans to attend and Shelbourne LFC have really failed in finding a steady ground to stay at. I feel Wexford has done well on this front (not that I'm at all unbiased) and Cork and Galway, given time, can meet this level. The media powerhouse that is Galway can bring a lot of visibility to their side in future given that their U17 side was undoubtedly the strongest this year.

Anyway, a lot of opinions there, I am happy to expand on any. I do not feel the status quo is perfect by any stretch, but as always I do not feel there is any magic bullet that will suddenly improve our position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Unionism and the protestant community are represent in the Tri colour so for mannus to show it that much disrespect is staggering. McClean won't ear a poppy because the proceeds directly benefit members who served during the conflict in the North. (Bloody Sunday etc). As much as I dislike McClean this is a little different.

It's blatantly disrespectful by Mannus and deliberate too.

Unionism and the protestant community are represent in the Tri colour so for mannus to show it that much disrespect is staggering...

Ireland is represented in the Union Jack by the saltire of St. Patrick...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick%27s_Saltire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Unionism and the protestant community are represent in the Tri colour so for mannus to show it that much disrespect is staggering. McClean won't ear a poppy because the proceeds directly benefit members who served during the conflict in the North. (Bloody Sunday etc). As much as I dislike McClean this is a little different.

It's blatantly disrespectful by Mannus and deliberate too.

Ah here will you give over with the faux outrage.
    What disrespect did he show?
    He didn't face the tricolour and stood motionless. Other national teams don't face the tricolour during amhrain Na bhfian.
    We're in danger of coming across as small minded and hypocritical as the English and Nordies with this fleg and anthem craic!
    Absolute non story anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Ah here will you give over with the faux outrage.
    What disrespect did he show?
    He didn't face the tricolour and stood motionless. Other national teams don't face the tricolour during amhrain Na bhfian.
    We're in danger of coming across as small minded and hypocritical as the English and Nordies with this fleg and anthem craic!
    Absolute non story anyway.

Rewatching the coverage today and I noticed that many of the mascots didn't bother turning to the flag either. DISGRACE

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Rewatching the coverage today and I noticed that many of the mascots didn't bother turning to the flag either. DISGRACE

Or the refs

Kill them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The Mannus thing just seems like an attempt to turn nothing into something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

osarusan wrote: »
    The Mannus thing just seems like an attempt to turn nothing into something.

People who want to be offended ,get offended.

I usually agree with your takes on the game but in this it's absolutely no way. I am massively opposed to the idea that not playing the cup final at the national stadium would somehow be good for the women's game.

I've been involved with Wexford Youths Women for a good number of years now, and from a commercial and sponsors perspective, it's fantastic to be playing at the national stadium with the RTE cameras there live (I don't think we should kid ourselves that they would do the same if it was at a different ground on a different day. They never ever broadcast a single other day in the women's football season for it's own sake even for highlights, and EVEN if they actually have a camera there recording it)

From the player's perspective, it's a gigantic boost too. These players will likely never get any other chance to play at this stage. It's a very large part of what gives the Women's FAI Cup the prestige that it has.

From the staff/volunteers, it's an absolutely magnificent moment too. For the women's league, Ferrycarrig Park is relative luxury. To get this one day out at a proper proper stadium, it's a wonderful experience and I think it's one we have earned.

For this game, we do get a relatively good number of neutral fans at the match compared to any other game in the year. For what possible reason, given everything above, would more of them somehow come out to Tallaght Stadium or whatever other ground come to the match.

I feel like I have lived and breathed matches like this in the modern era of domestic women's football, given my unusually lucky position of being in and around Wexford Youths Women for the past several years. I am passionately opposed to any movement of the FAI cup final to a lesser stadium and different day, and feel the FAI has this situation as well fixed as it can be. The attendance at the Women's National League has been undoubtedly disappointing this year but I feel moving the final would be just an attempt in burying the issue.

I feel the issue is that clubs like Peamount and Shelbourne need to get their fanbase and fan facilites sorted. PRL Park is not a good ground at all for fans to attend and Shelbourne LFC have really failed in finding a steady ground to stay at. I feel Wexford has done well on this front (not that I'm at all unbiased) and Cork and Galway, given time, can meet this level. The media powerhouse that is Galway can bring a lot of visibility to their side in future given that their U17 side was undoubtedly the strongest this year.

Anyway, a lot of opinions there, I am happy to expand on any. I do not feel the status quo is perfect by any stretch, but as always I do not feel there is any magic bullet that will suddenly improve our position.

No doubt having the women's final at the Aviva is big for the players playing but it really needs to be planned a lot better. Just off the top of my head some of the huge problems it causes are that the seats that are on camera the most end up empty for the mens final which is quite frankly unacceptable, this is the showpiece event in Irish football and it just gives begrudgers another stick to beat the league with "sure the amount of empty seats I seen the place was half empty no way there was even 30, 000 at it" and they won't listen no matter how many times you tell them that the upper tiers had people and the three other lower tiers were packed (and in the case of the rovers end over crowded), the men's kick off time is at a stupid time (who kicks off at 20 to 4?) it either has to be later as in 5 or preferably 3pm for a cup final, the grass is longer to allow for wear on it which as can be seen by posts here affects the game, lots of people pick one or the other because being stuck in the aviva for 6 hours isn't ideal for eating and drinking or even being warm, we're lucky it wasn't bad weather or the second game would be seriously affected.

As for RTE they're obliged to show it, it's a designated game of national importance.

Shels play in Tolka permanently now I thought?

Personally I think if you could trust the FAI to promote it properly you would play the women's final in Tallaght, when the new stands built it'll be 10,000, pack that out create a bit of buzz to it, having it as the curtain raiser to the mens final is a bit demeaning I think.

Having two marquee games on the one pitch just doesn't work in football especially not when you have to allow for extra time and penalties.

• Advertisement

https://extra.ie/2019/11/05/sport/soccernews/rovers-keeper-mannus-explains-why-he-didnt-turn-to-face-irish-flag

To be fair to the lad he gives his reason here. Totally acceptable.

Didn't realise he was Canadian by birth and lived there for 7 years. I'd have though he was good enough to play for them.

https://extra.ie/2019/11/05/sport/soccernews/rovers-keeper-mannus-explains-why-he-didnt-turn-to-face-irish-flag

To be fair to the lad he gives his reason here. Totally acceptable.

Didn't realise he was Canadian by birth and lived there for 7 years. I'd have though he was good enough to play for them.

Why would he choose to play for Canada over Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

D14Rugby wrote: »

Maybe because he's Canadian? :rolleyes:

Did you read the article?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It wasn't a dramatic game filled with goalmouth action, but the ball was kept on the ground. There wasn't the fear that is present in the usual LOI big game. Both sides cancelled each other out.

O'Brien and Finn did very well with Duffy and Massey and Gannon and Kavanagh were evenly matched, neither getting forward much. Both sides were fit and there wasn't much cramp. Two mistakes were capitalised on.
    fatbhoy wrote: »
    I was at the game. Greg Bolger was brilliant.

He was huge in the first half of ET getting around the pitch providing fresh energy. Hopefully he is signed up before Cork have any ideas tempting him back. Bradley said that most players on Sunday had been (re-)signed for two or three more years.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Maybe because he's Canadian? :rolleyes:

He's also Northern Irish and if you ask him where he's from he says Northern Ireland so why would he pick Canada over NI?

• Advertisement

Did you read the article?

Yeah and it says **** all about Canada other than that he was born there. He grew up in Northern Ireland and feels Northern Irish and Northern Ireland are better, why pick a country that he probably barely remembers over his home?

Yeah and it says **** all about Canada other than that he was born there. He grew up in Northern Ireland and feels Northern Irish and Northern Ireland are better, why pick a country that he probably barely remembers over his home?

it hasn't been unknown for professional sports people to pick a different country in order to advance their careers.

I think you know that though.

it hasn't been unknown for professional sports people to pick a different country in order to advance their careers.

I think you know that though.

That doesn't make it "strange" that he didn't play for Canada. Its far from "strange". I think you know that though and are just stirring.

That doesn't make it "strange" that he didn't play for Canada. Its far from "strange". I think you know that though and are just stirring.

No I think it for a pro sports player to do that is admirable. But I also think it's strange.

Way off topic but look at the like of CJ Standers , Jean Kleyn. Then in soccer Freddie kanoute, Eduardo Callum Robinson etc. They all would have played for the country of their birth but weren't really good enough to hold down a long term place there so they chose adopted countries.

No I think it for a pro sports player to do that is admirable. But I also think it's strange.

Way off topic but look at the like of CJ Standers , Jean Kleyn. Then in soccer Freddie kanoute, Eduardo Callum Robinson etc. They all would have played for the country of their birth but weren't really good enough to hold down a long term place there so they chose adopted countries.

Yeah playing for the country you grew up in and came through the ranks in. Very strange...

NI are 30 places higher than Canada so the not good enough doesn't apply whatsoever

• Advertisement
Advertisement