Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI CUP FINAL Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

D14Rugby wrote: »
    No doubt having the women's final at the Aviva is big for the players playing but it really needs to be planned a lot better. Just off the top of my head some of the huge problems it causes are that the seats that are on camera the most end up empty for the mens final which is quite frankly unacceptable, this is the showpiece event in Irish football and it just gives begrudgers another stick to beat the league with "sure the amount of empty seats I seen the place was half empty no way there was even 30, 000 at it" and they won't listen no matter how many times you tell them that the upper tiers had people and the three other lower tiers were packed (and in the case of the rovers end over crowded), the men's kick off time is at a stupid time (who kicks off at 20 to 4?) it either has to be later as in 5 or preferably 3pm for a cup final, the grass is longer to allow for wear on it which as can be seen by posts here affects the game, lots of people pick one or the other because being stuck in the aviva for 6 hours isn't ideal for eating and drinking or even being warm, we're lucky it wasn't bad weather or the second game would be seriously affected.

As for RTE they're obliged to show it, it's a designated game of national importance.

Shels play in Tolka permanently now I thought?

Personally I think if you could trust the FAI to promote it properly you would play the women's final in Tallaght, when the new stands built it'll be 10,000, pack that out create a bit of buzz to it, having it as the curtain raiser to the mens final is a bit demeaning I think.

Having two marquee games on the one pitch just doesn't work in football especially not when you have to allow for extra time and penalties.

I think it would be hypocritical to move the Women's final out of Lansdowne Road because it's less attended than the men's final.
    The argument is often made that popularity, viewing figures etc. are irrelevant when it comes to the LOI and the LOI clubs are inherently entitled to more TV coverage. How can we then turn around and say to the women that as they're not as watched as the men, they don't deserve the same big days and exposure?

Also on the bolded point, the Women's FAI Cup final is not designated a Designated Event so is not obliged to be broadcast free to air. Nor is the Men's final for that matter.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/broadcasting-media/regulation/Pages/Designation-of-Major-Events.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I think it would be hypocritical to move the Women's final out of Lansdowne Road because it's less attended than the men's final.
    The argument is often made that popularity, viewing figures etc. are irrelevant when it comes to the LOI and the LOI clubs are inherently entitled to more TV coverage. How can we then turn around and say to the women that as they're not as watched as the men, they don't deserve the same big days and exposure?

Also on the bolded point, the Women's FAI Cup final is not designated a Designated Event so is not obliged to be broadcast free to air. Nor is the Men's final for that matter.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/broadcasting-media/regulation/Pages/Designation-of-Major-Events.aspx

Maybe I worded that badly, I only said Tallaght because I think the FAI are too cheap to open the Aviva for the women on another day.
    My point is basically that the womens final should be on its own day, the double header just doesn't work in terms of making both games as much of a spectacle as they should be, two full matches is a very long time to be in a stadium so many wont stay so you inevitably end up with both games having a lower attendance than they otherwise would have had, also makes selling tickets unnecessarily messy having 4 teams involved. Even stuff like the programme end up being poor. Think each team got about 5 pages in the programme, that's ridiculous, for the men and the women.

Not having either game as a designated event is a serious oversight from the FAI though I'm not surprised

Edit: Also attendance is far from called irrelevant in terms of LOI coverage. LOI fans regularly say that the tv companies should pick games more carefully so they show games with good crowds and facilities, and people acknowledge that the number of games shown is good but the spread of them is the main issue, you can go months without a game on RTE then have 3 in a week. And if you mean viewing figures in terms of tv then its not hypocritical as I don't think anyone would even dare suggest it shouldn't be on tv whether it be in the Aviva or Ferrycarrig. It's not a case of moving the women because they don't get the same numbers as the men, its a case of moving them so that they aren't treated as a curtain raiser which personally I wouldn't like as a player.

Advertisement