Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford focous 1.0 ecoboost.

• 03-11-2019 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys anyone ever dealt with this dealer before?
    What do you think of this focous? It’s the 100ps which is the ecoboost model which is supposed to be very good.
    Does the price seem about right, it’s coming with a 6 month warranty also.
    Is there anything I should look out for in this model that’s a known fault or anything like that?
    Thanks
    Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Link would help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

UK import. Normal caveats apply.

UK import. Normal caveats apply.
    So that's checking the history on My Vehicle.ie or equivalent, to make sure it hasn't been wrote off or there's no outstanding finance.
    Is there anything else I need to look out for?
    Do you think the price is ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

It's much too expensive. My brother bought a good focus 2010 over 2 years ago with half that mileage for 4.5k. So same age as yours is now.

It was my workmate selling it and he couldn't shift it at all.... Up towards 8k is lunacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

If buying the one litre I would hold off for the 123 BHP version. There was also an issue with this engine and fires, not sure on the details you may want to Google that

If buying the one litre I would hold off for the 123 BHP version. There was also an issue with this engine and fires, not sure on the details you may want to Google that

And an issue with head gasket failure. I know a recall was done but not sure how effective it was.

OP a family member had use of one of these for a few weeks and said it drank petrol like a fish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ba_barabus wrote: »
    And an issue with head gasket failure. I know a recall was done but not sure how effective it was.

OP a family member had use of one of these for a few weeks and said it drank petrol like a fish.

Ah stop.

That is a very popular engine and won European Engine of the year multiple times.

It's smooth, quiet, and has decent torque and power equivalent to a n/a 1.6.

There have been a few failures but overall reliability is good.

Driven hard it'll consume plenty of fuel, but driven normally its economical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Ah stop.

That is a very popular engine and won European Engine of the year multiple times.

It's smooth, quiet, and has decent torque and power equivalent to a n/a 1.6.

There have been a few failures but overall reliability is good.

Driven hard it'll consume plenty of fuel, but driven normally its economical.

The head gasket failure seems well known on them.

Seems to need a new engine when it happens.

It's hard to quantify how common an issue it actually was and is because when you see common issues reported on internet. It can make the fault look more common then it is.

Hopefully Ford got on top of it on later examples - this thing on modern cars (not just Ford's) of being caught for thousands in repairs at low mileages for design issues just sucks.

There isn't a Mk 8 Fiesta Titanium in red outside the door because I refuse to do cars that do reported big bill faults.

My take is that if I'm going to a risk of big money faults then I might as well drive a Jaguar, Tesla or Range Rover.

Should add that Ford are far from alone in this - modern complexity is a big driver of issues.

• Advertisement

Ah stop.

Not sure why you have that attitude. I wasn't slating the engine. I highlighted 2 issues I've personally come across which I've heard others also mention.

You then go on to tell us they are in fact issues......

Not sure why you have that attitude. I wasn't slating the engine. I highlighted 2 issues I've personally come across which I've heard others also mention.

You then go on to tell us they are in fact issues......

A little perspective.

A little perspective.

Again, I'm a little bemused. I just said there had been an issue, I didn't inflate it or the numbers affected.

Again, I'm a little bemused. I just said there had been an issue, I didn't inflate it or the numbers affected.

That's fine. Failures happen.

My point is that this is a very popular, and multi award winning engine and that whilst the odd failure has happened (they happen to every engine I'd imagine) the overwhelming majority are good quality units. If there was a universal problem they'd have all been recalled. They haven't.

That's perspective btw.

If there was a universal problem they'd have all been recalled. They haven't.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/ford-ecoboost-engine-recall-–-what-you-need-to-know/n17972
    Ford Ecoboost engine recall – what you need to know
    Ford says it will compensate owners of Ecoboost-engined cars after some suffer sudden engine failure and others burst into flames...

Now, it only affects 2011-2013 Focus models and Ford changed the offending coolant pipe on newer built cars. All I'd be simply advocating here for anyone buying one of these cars is to check the recall work was done. Considering I've two Toyotas sitting outside my front door it was something I did when buying them as they've had so many. Doesn't lead me to believe they're sh!te.

I've not damned the engine despite the alarmist headline given by Whatcar.

You're right, it is a brilliant design let down by a poor component. IIRC it's the smallest engine in terms of size and weight fitted to a car currently.

Now would I buy one, if it suited my needs yes I would. We've a 1.2TSI Yeti here which I regularly drive and I'm a big fan of small advanced turbo charged petrol engines. We've never had any issues with them, they're nice to drive and economy is good.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/ford-ecoboost-engine-recall-–-what-you-need-to-know/n17972

Now, it only affects 2011-2013 Focus models and Ford changed the offending coolant pipe on newer built cars. All I'd be simply advocating here for anyone buying one of these cars is to check the recall work was done. Considering I've two Toyotas sitting outside my front door it was something I did when buying them as they've had so many. Doesn't lead me to believe they're sh!te.

I've not damned the engine despite the alarmist headline given by Whatcar.

You're right, it is a brilliant design let down by a poor component. IIRC it's the smallest engine in terms of size and weight fitted to a car currently.

Now would I buy one, if it suited my needs yes I would. We've a 1.2TSI Yeti here which I regularly drive and I'm a big fan of small advanced turbo charged petrol engines. We've never had any issues with them, they're nice to drive and economy is good.

Thanks very much for this post. I’ve rang the shop we were thinking about getting 1.0 ecoboost from and I’m making sure that car was sorted with a recall. Very informative.

Was just talking to the car salesman, he reckons that was only the 125 brake that was recalled? He’s looking into it though.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Was just talking to the car salesman, he reckons that was only the 125 brake that was recalled? He’s looking into it though.

Get the reg and ring a Ford dealer. They'll tell you quickly enough.

Advertisement