Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband- wired/wireless speed issues

• 03-11-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi all, (Apologies it's a long post to include info)

Let me start by explaining that we were having issues with sluggish speeds and paid to upgrade the dish and modem with our current provider and have now gone into a new contract for 70MB up from 30MB.

The problems: Well, it's worse than before. I was told before upgrading to wire my PS4s directly to the old modem (there are three of them in the house). As this is a farm house it's not easy nor is it my property to just do so. And hence the term wireless comes to mind:p Therefore I agreed with the upgrade....

Can anyone explain before I let rip at the provider to take the stuff away and give back what was working - (yes sluggish but at least 100 times better)...

A: Why the network keeps dropping connection at a regular rate of every 20/30 mins meaning if on the laptop I have to press reconnect (if it doesn't do it itself) and on the PS4 streaming Netflix or You tube gets interrupted to the point its horrible watching it and being kicked out of online to offline in Gaming mode which ruined my Saturday night:D

B: When I do wire the PS4 to the new modem I get speeds of 47MB (keep in mind there was only the 2 PS4 consoles streaming at that time). When I wire my laptop I get 11.7MB v 13.52 wireless, yet 20 mins later I get 31.11 wired with no changes in the regime in the house....

C: Why is it right now when everyone is still asleep and my console is the only one connected to the network that when I did a speed check I get 1.2MB?????? (Wireless). They upgraded the Firmware on Friday as my son was saying the connection was constantly dropping that day, so I contacted them while at work. Even then he said the speeds were no different....

D:Why has my coffee gone cold:D:D (Don't answer that) haha

Please can anyone explain it all to me so I have my answers ready for the provider who will undoubtedly try and talk me into keeping the stuff. Im all for it - IF IT WORKS!!!!!! Does anyone know what could be wrong or needs fixing?

Any questions please ask. Ill keep an eye on this as I need to sort it out.

Thanks so much for reading...:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

In my experience CS people are not very tech savvy and only there to pay lip service to customers and give the impression they care for you as a valued customer. They cannot and will not be able to solve any technical issues that you cannot do solve yourself. Dont waste your time or euros.

The best connection is by far direct connection via Ethernet to the access point. The issue with speed is an outside issue on the line because your on a shared line its called "contention" and no amount of complaining will solve that. I wouldn't upgrade if I wasn't getting what I was paying for now. Its a common sales pitch to suck you into spending more for nothing.

Advertisement