Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restrictions passcode

Options
  • 03-11-2019 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All

I have a huge issue in that I am completely addicted to my phone & in particular to 2 apps. I have put restrictions passcodes on my phone and purposefully forgot them 3 times, only to restore my phone and continue using the apps.

My question is, is there a way to permanently enable the restrictions passcode? Or is there a way to prevent an i-phone from being factory restored?
    Are there any apps or online services that permanently block apps on an iphone?

These apps are really causing me a lot of issues so would really appreciate if anyone had any ideas on apps or other methods to block the apps permanently

kind regards
    Jack

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What apps?
    Delete them?

Turn on password required for app downloads and met someone else pick a new password that you don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jackm25

Yeah, ive done that before but i just restore the phone every time and it removes the password

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jackm25 wrote: »
    Yeah, ive done that before but i just restore the phone every time and it removes the password

Ok then.
    Sounds like you need professional help here.
    I don’t think boards is going to rub the answer to your problems.

Have you spoke to someone about it?
    You may be able to get guidance from a friend or family member.

Thanks for your compassion & yeah I am trying to sort it in otherwise but I was just wondering if there was a technical way - which obviously there isnt. I think it is time people started to recognise the extent of the impact technology can have on us all/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You can place parental restrictions on the phone.

1. Set it up with someone elses iTunes account or one you don't have access to the email/password on - That will stop you resetting it.
    2. Apple has a screen time feature that can limit screen time and apps - I believe this has a different password to the main lock screen.
    3. Disable app downloads via this too.

Essentially, what you need is to be treated like a child. I don't mean that as an offense, but if your impulse control is poor, then you need to remove what you can control. I have a similar set up with my son, as I don't want him on the phone non stop.

That said, I would echo the advice to seek help, and best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Treat it like any other addiction. Look at the issues it is causing and decide to stop. If you really want to you can do it. Just like someone who stops smoking.
    You have tried a couple of times and failed. Let each failure give you greater resolve to conquer.
    There is really no technological solution to this as you have found out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Buy a Nokia. Give up the smart phone. So what’s best for your mental health.

Cheers for all the updates & support. I bought a Nokia 3310 & it was too basic. I do really need to do something though. I started therapy and it is helping a little bit. But a restricted / more basic phone that still has say Wats App and maybe audible would be the ideal. Would anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Nokia 2720 has Whatsapp. I haven't actually used one or seen one in action yet, but it definitely has Whatsapp

Cheers, I also heard that some Android phones can actually enforce restriction pass codes, would anyone know any more about that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement