Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My landlord is saying I've missed a weeks rent when I haven't?

Options
  • 03-11-2019 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Basically my ladlord beleives I didn't pay rent one week in October. I put it weekly in an envelope and put it in a locked drop box.

The only rechord that I have is I took the money from my account from an atm.

I had a bit of a fight with her, she got combative saying I wasn't listening to her. At the end she just siad forget about it but just to end the converation. I'm pretty upset about it.

I use an electroinc to do list, as well as scrimp and save and sometimes go without eating so I can pay my rent so I know I have paid it. I could always be wrong, I really don't think I am though.

I know the crux of this problem is we should have been signing a rent book each week but we haven't but I'll be making my landlord do it from next week.

Any advice on what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Get her bank account number, and pay her properly from now on. Keep all receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

Get her bank account number, and pay her properly from now on. Keep all receipts.

I asked her if she wanted to do that, she said no. I could ask her again though. I was thinking about giving her my point of view in a written letter or maybe I should just drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Masala

If you dealing with cash.... you shoukd run a Receipts Book and get her to sign off every week that you Hand over cash.

You should watch Judge Judy.... it's all about people saying they repaid people in cash and can't prove it!!! It's gonna be your word over her word

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

LL obviously not declaring tax so won't want this, no other reason in the 21st century not to have Direct Debit for rent set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,404 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

DeeAvery wrote: »
    I asked her if she wanted to do that, she said no. I could ask her again though. I was thinking about giving her my point of view in a written letter or maybe I should just drop it.

She said no ? Then you say NO to renting. You want to ‘ask’ her again ? You TELL her that you are unhappy with the current arrangements as to her making herself available to be in collection of payment. You want to hand it to her in person and receive a receipt so that the transaction is transparent, safe and two way accountable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

So people pay their rent every week, not monthly? And they pay in cash? Is there a black box on the wall with a slot for a 50p coin for the "leccy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's not as easy as people are making out. This sort of LL will have no compunction about illegally evicting the OP and even if they do manage to get compensation where are they meant to go in the mean time?

Get them to sign the rent book if you can. If not I would suggest texting them every time you drop off the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bank account is the best option obviously but I'd only agree to cash if you got to physically hand it to her and then you need a receipt.

Are you the only tenant paying this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Bank account is the best option obviously but I'd only agree to cash if you got to physically hand it to her and then you need a receipt.

Are you the only tenant paying this way?

I don't know how many in my building are paying her with cash, but she said I wasn't the only one. She has more then one property so I can't speak for the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

LL obviously not declaring tax so won't want this, no other reason in the 21st century not to have Direct Debit for rent set up.

Not always true. I know people who prefer to collect cash each month so they can keep an eye on their place. Cash is lodged to mortgage account so there's still a trail if Revenue needed to investigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't hand over cash unless you receive a receipt or it noted in a rent book....

Is the rental registered with the RTB?

If she is going to continue this dispute I would suggest you bring a case against her through the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Session2019!

Had this exact same issue in one my house shares. She was an absolute wagon and accused me of the same thing. Money went into envelope and then a locked drop box. She refused to accept bank transfer. Fought her and eventually she recounted the money she collected that week and funnily enough she found it. I then started txting her to say rent was in the box and made her agree to txt me to say she received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Tell her you'll send her an email with a screenshot of the rent withdrawal, and that you'll CC both Revenue and the PRTB. See how quickly she finds the money then.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tell her you'll send her an email with a screenshot of the rent withdrawal, and that you'll CC both Revenue and the PRTB. See how quickly she finds the money then.
    Maybe about the same length of time it takes the landlady to tell the OP to move out!
    Threats are not a way to improve relations between the two parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

The advice i will give you is not to hand over cash without a receipt. You need to be able to prove you paid, just in case something happens, like this.

Show landlady your atm withdrawal receipt. Ask her to check again, because your sure you paid. Regardless of the outcome tell her you need something to prove you paid when you did. a text, a receipt, a bank transfer. It doesn't matter what form the proof is, but its leaving yourself open to something like this happening again, unless you protect yourself.

Assuming she tells you you still owe the money then you have a decision to make/If its a nice place & the price is right and you want to stay there i would personally consider paying her again, because the cost of moving and the hassle wouldn't be worth it.

If you can get some place similar, for the same price easily enough, then refuse to pay again, but be prepared to leave, if the relationship is irreparably damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I'd go along with the advice from Xterminator.
    When you drop your rent into the cashbox send LL a text to say you've done it. At least theres some sort of 'papertrail' there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Maybe about the same length of time it takes the landlady to tell the OP to move out!
    Threats are not a way to improve relations between the two parties.

Then you say "I have a Part 4 Tenancy, take it up with the PRTB"

Advertisement