Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wary I’ll be fired to avoid paying out redundancy.

Options
  • 03-11-2019 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve been a very loyal staff member of a large multinational for about 15 years.

Every year I have done very well in performance reviews and have never had any issues with successive managers. The last three years, my performance has been rexognised as going above and beyond. My mid year has been very solid this year.

Fast forward to now. My manager is flying over to have a “chat” with me. There is a new line of managers over him and I’m pretty sure my role is going to be made redundant during the conversation. It’s something that many on my side of the business could expect given the changes in how we operate and if that is the case, so be it. That doesn’t concern me.

Here’s the thing. I’m very wary that something is going to be pulled on that day to stop me getting a redundancy. I have had the feeling over the last 6 weeks that there is something not right. My manager is openly blaming me on a call for a project not being done when I specifically told him twice via mail and during conversation that we were on track. He also alluded that I was responsible for not getting a monthly report done when in fact he knows it’s not my responsibility, again openly on a mail. I discuss both issues with him last week and discussed the in detail. He understands the position now. It’s as if my chalice is being poisoned.

It’s as if I’m being set up for a fall. He told me she cannot discuss what the catch up is about.

So nothing out of the ordinary may happen - I may be made redundant cleanly or this is actually no bad news, but my gut is telling me to prepare for someone from HR rocking up via phone where I’ll be placed on a performance improvement plan, which will be the first step in a dismissal. That’s the way people are managed out at times.

So I’m looking for advice on how to prepare for this eventuality. Any advice line I can ring? Should I get an employment solicitor to guide me through certain do’s and dont’s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I’ve been a very loyal staff member of a large multinational for about 15 years.

Every year I have done very well in performance reviews and have never had any issues with successive managers. The last three years, my performance has been rexognised as going above and beyond. My mid year has been very solid this year.

Fast forward to now. My manager is flying over to have a “chat” with me. There is a new line of managers over him and I’m pretty sure my role is going to be made redundant during the conversation. It’s something that many on my side of the business could expect given the changes in how we operate and if that is the case, so be it. That doesn’t concern me.

Here’s the thing. I’m very wary that something is going to be pulled on that day to stop me getting a redundancy. I have had the feeling over the last 6 weeks that there is something not right. My manager is openly blaming me on a call for a project not being done when I specifically told him twice via mail and during conversation that we were on track. He also alluded that I was responsible for not getting a monthly report done when in fact he knows it’s not my responsibility, again openly on a mail. I discuss both issues with him last week and discussed the in detail. He understands the position now. It’s as if my chalice is being poisoned.

It’s as if I’m being set up for a fall. He told me she cannot discuss what the catch up is about.

So nothing out of the ordinary may happen - I may be made redundant cleanly or this is actually no bad news, but my gut is telling me to prepare for someone from HR rocking up via phone where I’ll be placed on a performance improvement plan, which will be the first step in a dismissal. That’s the way people are managed out at times.

So I’m looking for advice on how to prepare for this eventuality. Any advice line I can ring? Should I get an employment solicitor to guide me through certain do’s and dont’s.

Print off any and all emails now.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Dont think a solicitor will be able to advise until the company have actually taken a step towards disciplinary route....
    They cant pre empt wrong doing ..
    Sounds like they have no reason or evidence to go down this road.
    And you have plenty of.evidence in your favour. Continue to put everything on email and print as you go.
    Hopefully you have nothing to worry about but just in case you will need your facts
    Good luck with the meeting
    If it starts going down disciplinary route as for a witness to be present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I agree that it sounds like something serious will be discussed such as redundancy or a major change of role, etc.

That said, why would you think that they would be out to shaft you? Has this happened to other long term employees before?

Making a long term employee redundant is never an easy thing to do, and unless you have done something to seriously piss someone off then I do not logically see why they would not give you what you are entitled to. You mention that it is a large company, so it is not the case I would imagine that cash is an issue, as it could be at e.g. a small company.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

skallywag wrote: »
    I agree that it sounds like something serious will be discussed such as redundancy or a major change of role, etc.

That said, why would you think that they would be out to shaft you? Has this happened to other long term employees before?

Making a long term employee redundant is never an easy thing to do, and unless you have done something to seriously piss someone off then I do not logically see why they would not give you what you are entitled to. You mention that it is a large company, so it is not the case I would imagine that cash is an issue, as it could be at e.g. a small company.

I was asked to work someone until they drop dead or quit by a previous manager so they didn't have to pay him a redundancy. Thankfully I moved out of that reporting line a few years back but my manager now reports to that reporting line so nothing is off the table in terms of what could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Giblet wrote: »
    Print off any and all emails now.

Email them to your private email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Do not do that.

That is most likely a breach of contract.

Do not do that.

Big +1 on that, this could most certainly be grounds for instant dismissal, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Do not do that.

I doubt it would be, they are emails to you, about you and your position. Person related as opposed to ‘job’ or company related.

I’ve kept certain work emails that directly related to me backed up on my gmail in a ‘work’ folder.... pension stuff, travel expenses, all e-payslips, in fact the pension rep even recommended we keep the pension stuff documented at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Do nothing until something happens
    You may be just reading something into nothing, could be your manager is for the chop and trying to lay blame on you
    At 15 years you have plenty of rights
    Worse comes you can then goto the WRC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Do not do that.

If it's a laptop, the mail will be cached in outlook. Could take a virtual image using Acronis of the laptop with the evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

If it's a laptop, the mail will be cached in outlook. Could take a virtual image using Acronis of the laptop with the evidence.

Or he could be just reading it wrong and he's about to get a promotion :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

If the worst happens you need to be prepared and have a strategy to deal with it.
    In some companies the HR dept. are in dread of a date with the WRC and will do anything to avoid.

So if you go on a PIP, meet with HR and in a subtle way point out your exemplary performance record to date and that you are very concerned about recent developments and mention the last thing you want is to have to revert to WRC as you see yourself as a loyal and valuable employee dadadada....

If they see you are in possession of this type of info, you may find an offer of redundancy on the way.

emeldc wrote: »
    Or he could be just reading it wrong and he's about to get a promotion :rolleyes:

Or the OP isn't and he is simply protecting his interests. Worst case he has the background to his loyalty and commitment to the company/role and best case he has a backup of his laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Looks like you'd be entitled to statutory redundancy of 31 (2x15 +1) weeks pay to to a max of €600 per week. €18k. You'd know yourself whether this is the kind of sum your company would risk an unfair dismissal case over. Also don't know if your company has something in place over and above the statutory requirement.

Only advice I'd give you at this point is to make a record of everything - performance reviews to date, bonus, salary raises, points at which your manager made comments on your performance, points at which your corrected those comments (with as much detail as possible). Dates, content, etc. Personally I'd be printing all of this out and keeping at home. Will be much easier to do now.

Other thing you might look into is what your contact says about disciplinary meetings/being put on a PIP e.g. are you entitled to bring a colleague with you, are you entitles to notice ahead of the meeting if it is a PIP, etc.

Once you know what's happening you can take a view on an employment lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Or the OP isn't and he is simply protecting his interests. Worst case he has the background to his loyalty and commitment to the company/role and best case he has a backup of his laptop.

My remark was tongue in cheek. But in all honesty could he not just print off the relevant emails and keep a hard copy instead of getting into the 'virtual imaging' stuff.

emeldc wrote: »
    My remark was tongue in cheek. But in all honesty could he not just print off the relevant emails and keep a hard copy instead of getting into the 'virtual imaging' stuff.

With the email data you will also have header information, read receipts, cc lists, positions in the company attachments, etc etc. Over a career of 15 years that's a lot of info to print. If he also prints that volume of info at work it may raise suspicion via the print queue, volume or content.

Boot from C.D with a imaging tool, take a virtual image saved onto an external hard disk, leave it for a few hours. Job done rather than the time taken to print or invariably forgetting something.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

copying or removing digital data from a company's computer is normally a breach of contract and you can be summarily dismissed for that.

You really think IT wouldn't notice someone imaging a computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You hardly need all your emails. You'll only want a few that illustrate the issue.

copying or removing digital data from a company's computer is normally a breach of contract and you can be summarily dismissed for that.

You really think IT wouldn't notice someone imaging a computer?

If the worst come to the worst and the employee I going to be dismissed regardless anyways under some engineered means to not pay redundancy then what's the difference.

Be best to wait until what happens in the meeting. If there is dismissal on the cards usually the laptop/ID card will be returned on the last day of work..by then the data would be obtained to protect the employees position.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LWS

See who shows up on meeting day. Ask for it to be minuted. Ask to bring a rep. Ensure you get a copy of the minutes of the meeting. At the end of the meeting - if it is not 'good' - ask for your manager to confirm that you have been there 15 years, that you have had exemplary record, that you have confirmed that project was on track by email on xxx dates, that you have no responsibility for report x as set out on xxxx email.etc Have it all minuted, ask for a copy. Also if they are really being assh**es then also say that you felt the way this meeting was organised together with the recent accusations of less that adequate job fulfillment has left you feeling very stressed and not sleeping lately etc and that you may need to go to the doctor about it!!!!! Frighten the beeejjaazzusss outta them😂 good luck - hope it doesnt end up like this but always better to be prepared to fight if needs be..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Be best to wait until what happens in the meeting. If there is dismissal on the cards usually the laptop/ID card will be returned on the last day of work..by then the data would be obtained to protect the employees position.

If there is a dismissal on the cards, expect to hand in your laptop immediately after the meeting and to be walked off the premises immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Summary dismissal is reserved for instances of gross misconduct. It is not a remedy for performance issues, real or contrived, without going through some kind of performance improvement plan, verbal warning(s) and written warning(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

1: Buy diary
    2: Write all of the above issues in the diary specific to the dates. Make each day a summary of notes/minutes put in as much as you remember.
    3. Print off emails place into specific dates in diary.
    4. Await meeting.

I would imagine redundancy is coming, can be costly and time consuming to "manage" someone out of the buisness. They also get a rebate if your are made redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Sounds like it is not a nice place to work. Would you look for something else and maybe leave the job asap. Sounds like it is stressing you out. That's what I would do in your position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fingerbang2

Print of all emails and also all your performance reviews which will be the most important.

I don’t think the company will dismiss you but probably chancing their arm that if they give you a load of crap you will start looking for another role and hence no redundancy.

Just stick it out for the minute

I can only repeat what I said in my previous post, but it is not at all normal to want to make a long term employee redundant without paying them what is due to them. It is a dreadful thing to have to do, but it is the sad reality that some roles do indeed become redundant and long term folk need to be cut. That said, in the far majority of cases the company will gladly pay out what is due.

The only reasons that I can think of that the company will not want to pay out will be when the company simply cannot afford it (small operation, not the case here) or the person has very seriously pissed someone off.

As the OP does not seem to have done so then I would be willing to bet that the payout itself is not in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

skallywag wrote: »
    I can only repeat what I said in my previous post, but it is not at all normal to want to make a long term employee redundant without paying them what is due to them. It is a dreadful thing to have to do, but it is the sad reality that some roles do indeed become redundant and long term folk need to be cut. That said, in the far majority of cases the company will gladly pay out what is due.

The only reasons that I can think of that the company will not want to pay out will be when the company simply cannot afford it (small operation, not the case here) or the person has very seriously pissed someone off.

As the OP does not seem to have done so then I would be willing to bet that the payout itself is not in question.

I have seen at least one situation of a new manager putting a long-serving employee who up to that point has a good performance record onto a PIP in order to bring in their own recruited employees, so its not always straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all,
    Thanks for the advice.

It’s been a tough few days so apologies for not replying. The meeting was pretty straight forward but things going up the creek today after first consultation.

Every single employee that has gone through the door here has received 2 weeks statutory and 4 weeks per years service, uncapped as to length of service.

They are offering me a sum that is essentially 2 weeks statutory and then about a week extra per year. Basically it looks like they are paying me extra the difference between my weekly wage and the weekly cap of 600 that is on the statutory.

To say I’m let down and hurt is a massive understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AaronMan

Is it perhaps the case that several candidates, including your boss, could be made redundant, so he is doing this in order to support the case why it is you that should be made redundant, instead of him or somebody else?

Either way, as others have advised, print relevant emails and keep a log of events in case you do need to defend yourself against what you are worried about. Someone made a suggestion to leave this job due to amount of stress - For time being, I disagree with this, as you could get a lot of money if you are really made redundant after 15 years in the company.

P.S. I have a friend who was made redundant: After it was announced, he was also getting nervous and worried that the company might 'trick' him somehow instead of paying what's due (as there is a statutory redundancy + what the company is paying for). Of course, none of it happened - it was also multinational company, so you'd expect some standards from them, and he was very happy afterwards - got a new job quickly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Follow your instincts and .
    Keep a diary - a paper one - write one down now - including recent events.
    Make a checklist of points to handle in each call / interaction and be thorough - so you can defend yourself.
    Get a paper trail - to very politely inquire about any discrepancies - assuming the best in others but written to cover yourself.
    E.g. Ask about why you were called out - assume an innocent misunderstanding - ask if things are changing how can you do them right.
    Find a way to go above and beyond soon... create counter-argument fuel. Read around / study this area a lot.

If something seems "off" - consider asking for clarity / support - in a way that gives you a paper trail to rely on later if you need it. E.g. write to your HR manager - express how you're confused by some of this behaviour. that wrong footed you - ask if you haven't received some key communications / that you're acting off wrong assumptions etc.

Good luck!

Advertisement