Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car marked by another car door

• 03-11-2019 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭

In Blanchardstown today and parked in outside carpark. I parked in the furthest corner which has fewer cars as furthest from nearest shops. I always do this to avoid other car doors hitting my car. I returned to car to see a car door had hit my car (no dent but some slight paint damage). There was sufficient space to avoid hitting my car as I was able to put a child seat in no problem. I looked at the car beside me and couldn't be sure it was the culprit but it was an unloved car judging by its appearance and so I made the assumption. It has happened my car before which is by no means special, but it means a lot to me and I like to keep it looking it's best as well as I can. Do people do this deliberately?? Vent over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Not sure if it's a deliberate thing, just some people have no respect for other people's property and just DGAF.
    I've had people do it to mine and I've been still sitting in it and they don't give a rat's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I feel your pain OP, some people are just downright careless and have no respect for other people's property. No matter how careful you are or how far away from everyone else you park you will always get a clown who parks nearly on top of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Some people cannot park so use another car as a guideline. It's happened to me many times, one day sitting in a empty car park having my lunch and my car door was hit 7 times by some old man trying to get out.

Annoys the shi*e out of my, especially when where is ample room, many times i have parked in an empty car park and some fuc*ker has parked right beside me making me have to climb over from the passenger side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

No they don’t do it for badness, it’s just bloody sheep mentality, I parked a classic car as far away as possible from the main entrance to B&Q on a quiet Tuesday’s morning, only to come back and find it surrounded by 5 cars , even though there was 200 other spaces nearer the front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

my mums car got damaged 2 weeks ago,she had it parked went for a bit of shopping,when sher came back the whole back of the boot lid was drove.it got some whack unreal to think the c*nt of a person went off and left no phone number etc and now my mum has to repair the car out of her own pocket.
    we inquired was there cctv aound but no there was,nt :( unreal to think a person could that and just drive off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

A few months back I was parked in Blackrock Shopping Centre sending an email, in the space of 5 minutes the guy to my right lightly banged my door getting back into his car, he at least apologised through the window, whereas the woman who parked on my other side walloped her door off mine climbing out and when I got out to check for damage she looked at me like I had 3 heads when I told her she had banged my door and was convinced that she hadn't.

Summary - most people live in their own little bubble of ignorance and don't give a **** about anyone or anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Vittu

I read the posts and yeah people do not care seems to be the consensus. Damn that really annoys me.
    Let's say you had bought a 50K car, would this justify you taking 2 spaces in a carpark.

BTW my car is not 50k lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I parked in a carpark one day, it has maybe space for 300 cars and I was only car there. I was sitting having my
    Lunch.

A guy came in and parked so close to me that when he opened the door of his car he was unable to get out between us. Bumping his door off my passenger side.

I rolled down my window and asked him what did he think he was doing.

He slammed his car door mumbling something and moved to another empty parking bay

There is no car culture in this country and no respect for other cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

@ brian. I'd have reported the damage and the driver for leaving the scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

You'd like Tesla Sentry mode. It has lead to a number of people being arrested for similar and worse transgressions: https://driving.ca/tesla/features/feature-story/watch-five-times-sentry-mode-put-tesla-haters-in-their-place

I just try to park far away from the door or in a parallel spot if there's one available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marlay

I started parking in parallel spaces due to the number of times people hit the doors with theirs. Now I have a scratch on the corner of the rear bumper where someone parked behind me hit it driving either in or out. Can't win really.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's happened to me several times.

The most severe one (as I posted about here at the time) was someone who backed into the front end of the car at work and left several hundred quid of damage - luckily though the building manager is a gent and got me compensated.

Someone recently has put two small dents in my left back door which was nice (!)

Far too many people don't give a shyte about their own car (look at the amount driving around with broken lights) and so think nothing of it when they damage someone else's. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

To the GF's annoyance I always park far away, doesn't always help though. In the below picture, the row to the left just out of the picture was empty towards our side. There was also a few spaces behind where I was standing.

I don't understand the logic, if you can't park and need guidance it doesn't bloody matter if the car park is empty around you, especially towards the back. Or just open the bloody door and see how your lined up.

It's getting to the stage where I'm purposely parking just over the line or crooked to deter people from parking next to me. I'm tempted to take two spaces but I'd be afraid some social justice warrior will key my car, but I always, always park far away where it's always empty.

JHKrTcX.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

DaveyDave wrote: »
    To the GF's annoyance I always park far away, doesn't always help though. In the below picture, the row to the left just out of the picture was empty towards our side. There was also a few spaces behind where I was standing.

I don't understand the logic, if you can't park and need guidance it doesn't bloody matter if the car park is empty around you, especially towards the back. Or just open the bloody door and see how your lined up.

It's getting to the stage where I'm purposely parking just over the line or crooked to deter people from parking next to me. I'm tempted to take two spaces but I'd be afraid some social justice warrior will key my car, but I always, always park far away where it's always empty.

JHKrTcX.jpg

Better to take over the two spaces completely because if you park slightly over the line some absolute moron will always try and squeeze in beside it. I mind my own car meticulously and so does my wife when she’s with me, she also minds her own car and other peoples cars when she’s parking but if she comes back to her car and there’s a mark on it, she’s doesn’t really mind because she says she’ll just become obsessed with minding it otherwise.

I can see her point, I personally never really have peace when I’m parked for a few hours and not knowing what I’ll come back to. I would say the same people that bang their door off another persons car, are the same people that never slow down going over speed bumps. They’re just not wired to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I had bought an excellent condition expensive classic car without a mark on it but within 3 months of parling in city parks it had several marks and dings on it. never noticed this with other cars I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

Keep it filthy dirty, especially in this weather. I find it helps as is does discourage people form parking close as their clothes we can get manky. Combine this with parking far away from the entrance and I find it does help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Good idea but how many people would put them in?
    You'd end up not hitting the car next to you and they would hit and mark
    your car if they didn't have them installed on their car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have found a thread of like minded people it seems :D

same as most of you i park as far away as i can, ideally in a space where no one can park beside me but ill settle for parking on one side only.

people are the pits though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

It's alright for young, fit people but some people have to go through life with terrible aches and pains and it's painful for them to awkwardly climb out of cars. You can't judge them too harshly. From observations of elderly relatives you'd be surprised at how hard a door can hit another car and not leave any sort of mark. It's a piece of metal, are you really going to get out of the car and cause a scene over a tiny blemish to the paintwork?

As for parking we've all misjudged and slightly hit another car at some point. If you are going extremely slowly there's rarely ever any visible mark or any damage done, just don't make a habit of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Flipping neighbours destroyed our last car...had since new, was nearly like fr. teds car when we traded it in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

So, let me get this straight. People are prepared to have their cars damaged by another and don't follow up on it? If I was sitting in my car and the door of the car beside me made contact with my car, I would be out with the phone, take pictures of the general scene, then photograph their insurance disc. If there's damage, I'll treat it like any other collision and make their insurance pay for the repair.

If this was the normal procedure they'd be more careful with their doors, or their insurance would be prohibitively expensive.

To the poster saying we've all "slightly hit" another car.... we all haven't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

I can relate to this topic, last year i purchased a 75K car with white Pear effect paint... dealership actually warned me to be careful where I park it as the paint is almost impossible to match.

With that in mind i invested in 900 euro two (font & rear) dash camera system with 24 hour parking mode feature.

Id have no problem in following up with anyone that decides to leave me a gift.

It's alright for young, fit people but some people have to go through life with terrible aches and pains and it's painful for them to awkwardly climb out of cars. You can't judge them too harshly. From observations of elderly relatives you'd be surprised at how hard a door can hit another car and not leave any sort of mark. It's a piece of metal, are you really going to get out of the car and cause a scene over a tiny blemish to the paintwork?

As for parking we've all misjudged and slightly hit another car at some point. If you are going extremely slowly there's rarely ever any visible mark or any damage done, just don't make a habit of it.

'rarely ever any visible mark or any damage done' All the more reason not to damage other people's property. People should take due care and not be totally careless

If people find it hard to exit their car in a tight space then they should park like most people here in an area away from the shop entrance where there are more empty spaces and so easier to exit their car.

No I never hit another person's car when I was parking.

I can relate to this topic, last year i purchased a 75K car with white Pear effect paint... dealership actually warned me to be careful where I park it as the paint is almost impossible to match.

With that in mind i invested in 900 euro two (font & rear) dash camera system with 24 hour parking mode feature.

Id have no problem in following up with anyone that decides to leave me a gift.

I like the idea but will the camera pick up something hitting the side of your car?
    75K spent and I would probably leave the car at home and cycle to the shop rather than risk
    the lovely paint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think this is a wind up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i dont mind squeezing into tight spots as some nuts cant park on two line rows properly, but when im getting out i always put my hand behind door to not ram it into someone elses - doesnt matter old banger or new, as its couple seconds of simple sense to do it.

had situations where stopping at corner store plenty spaces onecar pulls in, out opens doors wide and smacks mine :mad: not a single bother from such people.

Im always wondering how to people that have 50-100k cars most new, and just park them in public spaces, surely takes few ***** over the year to have enough scratches - do they get it sprayed over eventually or is there some dealership cover to such situations.

as from my point of view theres good bunch of people that cant get it to respect someones property and then clowns who will see nice card and will damage it on purpose.

sure it might be a minor ding if its some old person etc, but one would get nowhere trying to educate these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

Vittu wrote: »
    I like the idea but will the camera pick up something hitting the side of your car?
    75K spent and I would probably leave the car at home and cycle to the shop rather than risk
    the lovely paint

Actually its quite surprising how good the audio and impact detection is ... even opening the boot in parking mode is stored as an impact alert.

So you have the video footage of the car arriving along side you and then the audio of the impact.

I dont take this car to a public car park too often, mind you I was almost side swiped by a hire car on the motorway this week, dont think id ever be without the dash cam now.

• Advertisement

Actually its quite surprising how good the audio and impact detection is ... even opening the boot in parking mode is stored as an impact alert.

So you have the video footage of the car arriving along side you and then the audio of the impact.

I dont take this car to a public car park too often, mind you I was almost side swiped by a hire car on the motorway this week, dont think id ever be without the dash cam now.

Sounds effective. Hopefully you never need it.

If people find it hard to exit their car in a tight space then they should park like most people here in an area away from the shop entrance where there are more empty spaces and so easier to exit their car.

I gave the example of old people with mobility issues, they need to be as close to the shop entrance as possible. Why don't you park away from the shop entrance if you don't agree with taking the slight risk to your car? I appreciate that a lot of people here take care of their cars and want to have them kept right but you have to allow for things to happen and there will always be a slight chance it'll get hit. People shouldn't feel unduly terrified by nice looking cars when trying to park or get out of a space.

I'm not making the car door thing up - when I realized my elderly relative used to hit other doors I was horrified, I couldn't believe he would regularly hit another door. But after looking at it later I realized that it doesn't cause a mark unless it's flung hard. It's because unlike a car hitting it, the momentum of a car door is incredibly smaller. At worst it'll cause a blemish to the paintwork that you can spot. A bike once went into the back of my car at speed and hardly touched the paintwork.
    No I never hit another person's car when I was parking.

But how long have you been driving though? Do you drive in tight spaces much, do you have cameras or park assist helping you? Whether you have a perfect history or not, it's fair to say that occasionally people accidentally hit cars not through negligence but just trying to get out of the space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I had a huge row in Gorey last weekend with an aul one who doored my missus's new car. When I pulled her on it she tried to shout me down. That was never going to work with me, especially when the husband then threatened to give me a hiding. At this stage I was out of the car urging him to do so, when the daughter got out of the back of it and proceeded to hurl more insults.

They got it back in spades. I was in the right humour for them. No damage to the car thankfully.

I gave the example of old people with mobility issues, they need to be as close to the shop entrance as possible. Why don't you park away from the shop entrance if you don't agree with taking the slight risk to your car? I appreciate that a lot of people here take care of their cars and want to have them kept right but you have to allow for things to happen and there will always be a slight chance it'll get hit. People shouldn't feel unduly terrified by nice looking cars when trying to park or get out of a space.

I'm not making the car door thing up - when I realized my elderly relative used to hit other doors I was horrified, I couldn't believe he would regularly hit another door. But after looking at it later I realized that it doesn't cause a mark unless it's flung hard. It's because unlike a car hitting it, the momentum of a car door is incredibly smaller. At worst it'll cause a blemish to the paintwork that you can spot. A bike once went into the back of my car at speed and hardly touched the paintwork.

But how long have you been driving though? Do you drive in tight spaces much, do you have cameras or park assist helping you? Whether you have a perfect history or not, it's fair to say that occasionally people accidentally hit cars not through negligence but just trying to get out of the space.

I guess that a small touch won't leave a mark but many don't care less about other peoples property and slam doors into other cars, enough to leave dents and paint scratches. I'm sure a few even do it on purpose for some strange reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

DaveyDave wrote: »

JHKrTcX.jpg

If that carpark got busy the qashqai would have fun getting out of the space, some people have no clue about how angled spaces work.

saabsaab wrote: »
    I had bought an excellent condition expensive classic car without a mark on it but within 3 months of parling in city parks it had several marks and dings on it. never noticed this with other cars I had.

I have a red Volvo last 2 years, never marked!

I had a blue Benz before it. Found gold paint on the door 2nd day I had it, and it got bashed I bet at least once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

So, let me get this straight. People are prepared to have their cars damaged by another and don't follow up on it? ....
    I accept that it happens but life's too short to be tackling people in car parks and trying to follow up on what is usually just a tiny mark. I'd rather be doing something more constructive. Much more damage is caused by stone chips on the front/bonnet.

I live on a street beside a large school so I often see people sitting/leaning on my car or leaving cans, chip bags and other litter on it. I just accept that it will happen and that makes life so much easier.

'see people sitting/leaning on my car or leaving cans, chip bags and other litter on it'

That's unacceptable I for one wouldn't tolerate that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

My car got pretty badly dinged when I only had it 2 weeks, earlier this year. Still need to get it repaired.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    My car got pretty badly dinged when I only had it 2 weeks, earlier this year. Still need to get it repaired.

That's awful. Always seems to happen with new paintwork. I think it's called the green eyed monster. Envy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

garv123 wrote: »
    If that carpark got busy the qashqai would have fun getting out of the space, some people have no clue about how angled spaces work.

The qashqai would just drive out against the flow of traffic.

Ive seen that type of thing numerous times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Few years back was parked up in a supermarket car park ad far from the shop as you can get, loads of empty spaces around in the car park and some aul lad decided to park right beside me. His wife gets pit of the car and bangs my door. First thing out of her "it was the wind that done it" then off she toddles. No sorry or anything

garv123 wrote: »

Should have just driven into the space, would have to take a much smaller turn on the way out without having to go against the arrow. I've often gone against the arrow in car parks myself, it's only a suggestion and not legally binding but it's your responsibility then to not hold up people going the right way and it could sometimes be dangerous.

Should have just driven into the space, would have to take a much smaller turn on the way out without having to go against the arrow. I've often gone against the arrow in car parks myself, it's only a suggestion and not legally binding but it's your responsibility then to not hold up people going the right way and it could sometimes be dangerous.

Nice Volvo 740 or 940 at the end of the video.

Advertisement