Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LF1200DT Lifan E3 electric moped Insurance

Options
  • 03-11-2019 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

Would anyone any experience with this moped? Also, I'm struggling to find an insurer, does anyone know where I could look?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

Insurers are telling me that insurance is not required for this bike but it's falling into a grey area where gardaí are starting to confiscate them. Weird. It's as powerful as a petrol scooter. I'm going to go into my local station tonight to ask for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

You'll need an AM licence, insurance, and tax. It's an electric moped, not a push scooter. AXA should do them.

RSA E-Bikes FAQ

Pedelecs don't need insurance, they're basically battery assisted bicycles. Electric motorcycles do need insurance.

The govt really need to clear all this stuff up once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    You'll need an AM licence, insurance, and tax. It's an electric moped, not a push scooter. AXA should do them.

RSA E-Bikes FAQ

Pedelecs don't need insurance, they're basically battery assisted bicycles. Electric motorcycles do need insurance.

Not for this one they don't: it's not a pedelec, it's not a push scooter.

Under EU regs, it's a PTW - a Powered Two Wheeler. Anything (2-wheeled) that can move without rider assistance, is a PTW.

So, Number Plates (registration required), licence, insurance, tax required.

That fact it's electric is irrelevant: that's like saying a petrol engined vehicle should be treated differently from a diesel one (which obvs, isn't).

I see the faffing about in the media and the like as some sort of apologism: that because it's 'no emissions' (sic) that it should be accorded some sort of favour from normal rules.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

RSA E-Bikes FAQ

Its nothing to do with the government clearing anything up. Its simply a case of people stop referring to anything they dont understand as a "grey area" :rolleyes:

Axa don't insure them.. Actually I wasn't able to find one insurer which does. Axa themselves said "we don't insure this model but I will quote you one piece of law which you can interpret yourself". They then went on to quote something said something about an electric engine which travels up to 45 miles per hour doesn't require tax or insurance.

Obviously not true. If it is, I'm someone who doesn't chance their arm with anything. I know myself to look at this thing it need a tax and insurance. The shop said Axa but unfietu rely they don't insure it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Who's selling it? Is it type approved?

Disgraceful that an insurer is giving out such wrong information.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Moto4u in Rathfarnham are selling it.

https://www.moto4u.ie/listings/all-electric-eco-scooter-lf1200dt-coming-soon-to-moto4u/

The Gardaí confirmed the obvious to me - needs tax and insurance. They had no clue what section of the law the guy in Axa was quoting to me. I'm not sure what to do now, I really wanted this bike.

Who's selling it? Is it type approved?

Disgraceful that an insurer is giving out such wrong information.

How would I find out if it's type approved? I'm not sure what that means sorry..!

CPTM wrote: »
    How would I find out if it's type approved? I'm not sure what that means sorry..!

Basically the shop should be able to tell you, failing the RSA will definitely be able to clarify it. I spoke to them in the past about a petrol GoPed. They might not want to though. As far as I'm aware there's nothing illegal about selling a vehicle in ireland thats no type approved for the road.

Ah right I thought you'd seen the actual bike

It'll have a plate on the frame near the headstock with frame number and an E mark in a circle

Hell to pay getting anything road registered without it and insurance will be difficult as well.

Presumably this yoke is kosher and there's no reason for them not to insure it apart from them being clueless about anything that's not already on their system.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The seller will register it, and it should come with a registration Cert and number plates. For the seller to do this, he has to provide Revenue withe Certificate of Conformity (to EU regs etc). This literally is the sellers job.

If he can't/won't do this, then walk away.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

I saw one of these outside Moto4u this morning, they're defo mopeds that need insurance! Bruce said that AXA are insuring them, so whoever you spoke to is full of BS. I used to deal with Mick in AXA, he knows his stuff, ask for him maybe?

I saw one of these outside Moto4u this morning, they're defo mopeds that need insurance! Bruce said that AXA are insuring them, so whoever you spoke to is full of BS. I used to deal with Mick in AXA, he knows his stuff, ask for him maybe?

Thanks so much for that advice. I will phone Mick in Axa and see what he says. Would you have the phone number you used before (to make sure I'm getting through to the right people!)

Well well well, I spotted one of these in Drumcondra this morning. 100% , the same bike, but going the opposite way. I managed to get a look at the back and it had a proper reg plate on it.

I just spoke to Mick in Axa and he sorted it all out for me. He was very nice. If there is anyone reading this in the future, axa do insure it but it's listed on their side as an LF1200DT (They don't have it named as a lifan E3). He said that was probably the issue when talking to the other person in there. Thanks Boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Is this first time moped/motorbike insurance for you? What category of licence will you be using?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Is this first time moped/motorbike insurance for you? What category of licence will you be using?

Yes first time insured on a moped - But I've had a full irish license (category M and B) for 13 years. I passed my test before October 2006. I've been driving a car since then.

Is this restricted to 45km/h? You're not licensed to ride it if not.

Is this restricted to 45km/h? You're not licensed to ride it if not.

Yes thanks, I think it's restricted.. I'll check for that.

Advertisement