Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racing fuel

• 03-11-2019 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a 5 gallon drum of racing fuel. (Petrol)
    Is there anyone in cork that sells it ?

The closest supplier I can find is in ennis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Out of curiosity, what octane is racing fuel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Out of curiosity, what octane is racing fuel?

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuels

Excellent - thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

mikeecho wrote: »
    I'm looking for a 5 gallon drum of racing fuel. (Petrol)
    Is there anyone in cork that sells it ?

The closest supplier I can find is in ennis

EARS in Mallow should be able to help

ianobrien wrote: »
    EARS in Mallow should be able to help

No they can't.

They said that they don't sell any fuel.

• Advertisement

No they can't.

They said that they don't sell any fuel.

Oh I didn't realise that. If you can wait a few weeks, I'd say head to service at the historic Lakes in Killarney. There you'll have a choice of suppliers selling it by the drum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Drennan Oil Products sell Elf, they are based in Kilkenny, a drum Elf 102 is around €200 for 50l

Link

Thanks for the info guys.

The reason I'm looking for it is, Canned race fuel had a shelf life of 3 to 5 years.

I have a generator and instead of having to rotate fuel every few months or yearly with sta-bil, I thought it might be easier just to leave a 25l sealed can of fuel sitting there until it's needed.

It'll probably work fine in a generator well past the 5yr mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks for the info guys.

The reason I'm looking for it is, Canned race fuel had a shelf life of 3 to 5 years.

I have a generator and instead of having to rotate fuel every few months or yearly with sta-bil, I thought it might be easier just to leave a 25l sealed can of fuel sitting there until it's needed.

It'll probably work fine in a generator well past the 5yr mark.

Don't bother with race fuel for an old genny, buy some Aspen its as pure as you can get and has a massive shelf life as well.

You can get it in both premixed 50:1 and straight 4T versions, the 4T is in a blue can.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't bother with race fuel for an old genny, buy some Aspen its as pure as you can get and has a massive shelf life as well.

You can get it in both premixed 50:1 and straight 4T versions, the 4T is in a blue can.

The aspen is actually more expensive, about €5/l

• Advertisement

it comes in larger containers as well. 5 litres is around 23 which makes it a lot cheaper than 200 for 50 litres. Plus it’s actually made for your purpose, race fuel is highly oxygenated which a generator doesn’t actually need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Would the ecu in most cars just retard timing if you shovelled in a tank of racing fuel?

I'm open to correction buy I thought the timing was retarded for poor quality fuel (low octane). With higher octane it's more advanced timing that's needed.

Running race fuel in a standard engine isn't a good idea as it generates more heat and sometimes the engine can't cope (cooling system and metallurgically)

Would the ecu in most cars just retard timing if you shovelled in a tank of racing fuel?

The ECU should run the timing as advanced as it can till the point the knock sensors pick up detonation.

I'm just looking for fresh fuel that can be easily stored for years without the need for sta-bil etc.

It's just emergency fuel for a genny.

Next time I'm passing Ennis I'll pop in... Actually.. anywhere in Newry selling it ?

I'll probably be up there before I'm in Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I converted my Honda 20i generator, that I seldom use, to run on lpg. No problem with fuel going stale.

JamesM wrote: »
    I converted my Honda 20i generator, that I seldom use, to run on lpg. No problem with fuel going stale.

That's actually the best solution by far.
    What kit did you use? I was under the impression that the EU series wasn't as easy as previous models to convert successfully with a spud type setup.

It was about 3 years ago and it came from Northern Ireland - I'll try to find something on it. I have only used it a few times and it ran very smoothly. I use it for a boat, but I got the reference from a camper and caravan forum. I'll check.

The kit was from Edge Technology Power Ltd. in Crewe UK, although I think that it came from NI. It was in 2014. The kit was Kit B and suitable for the Honda EU 20i. It cost £183.00
    https://www.edgetechnology.co.uk/index.php/lpg-conversion-kits.html

Advertisement