Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FRASCATI SHOPPING CENTRE - WHY SO SLOW?

Options
  • 04-11-2019 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I pass through Blackrock most days and wonder why it is taking so long for the re-vamping of the Frascati Shopping Centre.

Part of the front hoarding was cleared away 12 months ago, but half of it is still there. The building work seems to be going at a snail's pace - especially when you look across the road and the speed that the new office block is coming along.

Can't be good for M&S and other tenants on that side of the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Baseball72 wrote: »
    I pass through Blackrock most days and wonder why it is taking so long for the re-vamping of the Frascati Shopping Centre.

Part of the front hoarding was cleared away 12 months ago, but half of it is still there. The building work seems to be going at a snail's pace - especially when you look across the road and the speed that the new office block is coming along.

I think frascati is finished now? They are just looking for tenants I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I think frascati is finished now? They are just looking for tenants I think.

I don’t think it is. There are still ongoing issues with the apartments being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Baseball72 wrote: »

It is crazy how long it is taking ! Although I was in there today and it was pretty busy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Was in there a few weeks back, and apart from it being mostly empty and a lot of work still to be finished....it's no great upgrade on what was there before.........they really need to get the units filled asap with more enticing outlets.

Grid. wrote: »
    Was in there a few weeks back, and apart from it being mostly empty and a lot of work still to be finished....it's no great upgrade on what was there before.........they really need to get the units filled asap with more enticing outlets.

Totally agree - even a couple of pop up shops for the xmas period would be better than nothing - the emptiness really detracts from it.

At the moment it's not really an upgrade - bar Aldi which was a great addition.

Badly need a biggish name decent womens highstreet clothes store for the younger market like Next or Zara and some unique/not very common stores like sostrene grene. Even a flying tiger could do well and add some variety, or a sports store since the one in the Blackrock centre closed down a while back. A homeware or electrical store could do well - the new Murray mobile place always has people at it.

A lot of the shops are aimed at the older market imo - Debenhams, M&S, the womens clothes stores like Pamela Scott and Serena. They need to get a younger 20-40 demographic in too I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A homeware or electrical store could do well .......

I agree with your comment on the demographics (quoted below) but there is already a large homeware and (small appliances) electrical store in the basement of Debenhams.
    A lot of the shops are aimed at the older market imo - Debenhams, M&S, the womens clothes stores like Pamela Scott and Serena. They need to get a younger 20-40 demographic in too I think.

coylemj wrote: »
    I agree with your comment on the demographics (quoted below) but there is already a large homeware and (small appliances) electrical store in the basement of Debenhams.

In fairness, the small appliances section in debenhams is pretty small and only stocks a few brands and the homeware is pretty poor these days too - used to be better, I agree, but it is very limited now. Dunnes in stillorgan is much better for homeware imo and even that is quite small. In a shopping centre the size of frascati, a second homeware offering with a different option would do well I think. Somewhere like Meadows & Byrne for example, or else a cheaper option to debenhams.

It would be great if there was somewhere to get a pair of headphones, samsung tablet or a bluetooth speaker or whatever. The nearest would be argos in dun laoghaire probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Having looked at the number of compliance related documents in the last 3 to 4 years, it would appear as though red tape is the real culprit for the hold up. Check out the search results of the online planning application here.

The amount of needless nit picking that goes on in complying with planning conditions also drives up the cost of construction which indirectly puts a huge strain on the viability of businesses wishing to set up in the resultant retail units. I understand the need for some baseline conditions. However, 4 years of back and forth is excessive and makes development of this nature more of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The amount of needless nit picking that goes on in complying with planning conditions also drives up the cost of construction which indirectly puts a huge strain on the viability of businesses wishing to set up in the resultant retail units. I understand the need for some baseline conditions. However, 4 years of back and forth is excessive and makes development of this nature more of a risk.

+1 The Danish retail chain JYSK has said that it takes four times longer to establish a new store in Ireland compared to other countries.

Poul-Erik Larsen, JYSK’s expansion director......

.... complained, however, that while in other European expansion markets, Jysk can find a store and sign a lease in up to four weeks, in Ireland “it takes anywhere from 12 to 16 weeks”.

“The legal aspect of a new store takes far longer in the Irish market. The negotiations for the lease and the time it takes to get the necessary permits and approvals – that all takes a lot longer here,” he said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/jysk-says-it-takes-four-times-longer-to-open-irish-store-than-rest-of-europe-1.4009278

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

To wait from around 12 to 16 weeks for a business to establish an expansion in Ireland is absolutely outrageous.

Why on earth does it take that long to get it up & running? What type of red tape are we talking about here when we trying to set one up?

I was in Frascati last Tuesday to see the 3 new shops opened recently that is Bannon Jewellers, Sugar Daddy & Sugar Coated. They all look excellent. I have also seen that the new asthetic clinic from Sisu is making progress upstairs in getting its unit fitted out while it's planned to get it opened right beside Sugar Coated. But the thing about House of Ireland not opening in Frascati yet is still an outstanding issue to be resolved. There could be still some issues there regarding their lease being repudiated with Frascati's management over the summer. I haven't got any idea about what is going there at all. There has been new signage on display placed outside it's unit. But apparently there has been no further movement on it since then. The unit for it is still closed to date.

Can someone here give us an update about when that business is meant to finally open in Frascati? Will it be sometime in 2020?

• Advertisement
Advertisement