Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo - Excellent Network So Far...

Options
  • 04-11-2019 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

There seems to be allot of people having issues but some of us are having none and enjoying the network. I ordered two sims and one arrived - it didn’t work when I initially put it into my phone - support thought I needed a replacement but all I needed was patience - 3 days after the online account instead of showing “Still in progress” had two numbers assigned to my account. I tried it and 4G came up on my phone - previous network I didn’t have it and I was delighted. Tested it for approx one week then ported over on Bank Holiday Monday at 9am - I said when I wake up it will be done - woke up at 11am and all done both phones working.

The only thing I had to fix was the APN on IPhone it still had previous network saved.

First bill arrived in the door on Friday and it was for €20.06 the 6 cent was activation text for iMessage.

Data speeds are excellent and some days it may not be 30mb or 50mb but it will be 8 or 10mb the highest I’ve seen was 70mb.

Overall for €9.99 amazing!

Use Twitter for support and not their chat system I found Twitter better as the chat annoyed me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Same here Oige1981. Great value.

What's the activation text for iMessage? Do I need to do that? What do I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

Same here Oige1981. Great value.

What's the activation text for iMessage? Do I need to do that? What do I do?

I turned off ICloud and on again and it said to activate iMessage we will send an SMS it’s something that happens in the background. As the new sim which is GoMo has an 085 number and I had ported my 086 I clicked - Keep iMessage as the same number that was already installed on my phone 086.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/enable-imessage-iphone-3688011/%3famp

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭xraylady

Is it usual to port over the number before you put in sim? Is it good idea to try sim before you port?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

xraylady wrote: »
    Is it usual to port over the number before you put in sim? Is it good idea to try sim before you port?

Definitely check coverage before porting. If either work/home happen to be in a blackspot for Eir coverage then moving is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

I'm in Midlands in Athlone. Moved from tesco mobile. Ordering process straight forward. Porting number was fairly seemless.

Network quality so far is mixed. Call quality is good, I drive a bit and no dropped calls so far. Data download speeds very poor. Getting 4G signal most of time, but getting only 1-5mbps downloads. A good bit worse than tesco in this area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

Ordered 4 altogether, 3 arrived 3 days later & the 4th on day 5. 2 went into the kids phones on the Wednesday. We were in Galway the thurs & Dublin the sat from the Midlands all with no problems & one was used as a hotspot for an Nintendo switch which was hit & miss on the motorway but fine otherwise (no kid meltdowns) Placed sim 4 & 5 in on sun morning & activated fine.
    Went online to port the 4 numbers on sun nite/morn morning when mobiles were off. Switched all on mon morning with all the numbers ported. No issues.

Can't fault any of the deal so far, was on nite shift & in an area where i had 3g signal were as before had no service from Tesco mobile.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

GoMo are using Eir's mobile network, I moved from eircom to Vodafone about 3 years ago as Vodafone's coverage is much better and where I live in Celbridge the Eir signal is generally bad. I got a GoMo sim on their deal with the hope that the Eir network has improved in the past few years. Put the sim in a phone and unfortunately have to report there has been no improvement, getting 1 to 3 bars of signal strength but only 1 to 2 Mb download speed after doing many tests.

I'd like to hear that Eir are doing something to improve their coverage rather that just say they have 97% coverage which may be technically correct. It's a bit like saying I have food but it's only a bag of crisps a day.

I'm holding off on porting and give them a chance to make some fantastic announcements. If nothing doing by the new year I'll just have to forget about their great deal and cancel out and stay with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ibmyself

Regarding Data: My Experience is you will be slowed down when you have used between 50 and 60GB's of data not 80GB as advertised. And by 'slowed down' they mean completely crippled to 25Kb/s at best.

Also they seem to be slowing the sending of the sim so you can't cancel within your cooling off period, it's already passed by the time you get the sim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

ibmyself wrote: »
    Regarding Data: My Experience is you will be slowed down when you have used between 50 and 60GB's of data not 80GB as advertised. And by 'slowed down' they mean completely crippled to 25Kb/s at best.

Also they seem to be slowing the sending of the sim so you can't cancel within your cooling off period, it's already passed by the time you get the sim!

Thats not the case, I've used over 70 Gb, still getting 45Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have had nothing but unremarkable experience.
    Sim posted and received, ported, and that's it.
    It's on Eir network and we have good Eir signal. No issues tethering, or with data speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

ELM327 wrote: »
    I have had nothing but unremarkable experience.
    Sim posted and received, ported, and that's it.
    It's on Eir network and we have good Eir signal. No issues tethering, or with data speeds.

Yes, if you have a good Eir signal it seems to be fine but the Eir coverage is probably the worst of the 3 networks with Vodafone at best then the 3 network and a bit down the field is the Eir network.

I ordered a sim last Thursday 21st and received this Monday 25th so for me that bit wasn't bad.

Lycamobile: runs off Three’s network.
    Tesco Mobile: runs off Three’s network.
    Virgin Mobile: runs off Three’s network.
    48: runs off Three’s network.
    Postmobile: runs off Vodafone’s network.
    GoMo: runs of eir's network

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

No issues with porting, no issues with speeds, no issues with anything since I joined Gomo, I recommend it if you had Eir and didn't have any issues...

Advertisement