Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seats

• 04-11-2019 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking to sell an isofix car seat system, has anyone an idea where to post an add?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Sonya4u

fab5 wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm looking to sell an isofix car seat system, has anyone an idea where to post an add?

Thanks

Adverts is good, or local Facebook buy and sell pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fab5

Hi,

Thanks Sonya4U.

I have tried Adverts, DoneDeal, and Facebook with very little interest...

I thought there might be a thread on here for selling children's stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Most people wont buy a car seat from someone they dont know and rightly so in my opinion. If it was involved in a crash it would be very dangerous to use. Unless you trust the seller - most wouldnt buy. I definitely wouldnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You’re local buying and selling pages are probably best, but the market is pretty flooded with them, you’ll be lucky to move it on tbh. As above, most people won’t buy car seats from strangers

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Peppery

lashes34 wrote: »
    Most people wont buy a car seat from someone they dont know and rightly so in my opinion. If it was involved in a crash it would be very dangerous to use. Unless you trust the seller - most wouldnt buy. I definitely wouldnt.

I've always found this odd...who is selling a car seat that was in an accident? Like if you go to pick it up from someone and see they have kids it would be very shocking for that happen. Like you could apply that to lots of things and you'd never buy anything second hand. Generally, you get a feel for the person selling, look at past reviews etc.

I would say donedeal, adverts or through someone you know. Also adjust how much you'd like for it. Adverts is full of people trying to things at about 75% of original cost - it's only worth it if it's a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Peppery wrote: »
    Like you could apply that to lots of things and you'd never buy anything second hand.

This is true but I would rather a washing machine or telly not work than my kid be flung out of a car window for the sake of losing a few quid. Its why most people won't buy second hand mattresses for babies too.

OP, it will be very hard to find a buyer for it as a lot of people get them included in travel systems. Facebook and Adverts are probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Peppery

This is true but I would rather a washing machine or telly not work than my kid be flung out of a car window for the sake of losing a few quid. Its why most people won't buy second hand mattresses for babies too.

OP, it will be very hard to find a buyer for it as a lot of people get them included in travel systems. Facebook and Adverts are probably your best bet.

Well no actually reason a mattress can't be sold on (or even shared by siblings) is due to rates of SIDs. You shouldn't buy a second-hand mattress and shouldn't even pass on to next baby.

I still think that's scaremongering about the car seat. If it was so damaged you'd notice. But everyone has their ideas. Some people have things they wouldn't sell/buy second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Peppery wrote: »
    Well no actually reason a mattress can't be sold on (or even shared by siblings) is due to rates of SIDs. You shouldn't buy a second-hand mattress and shouldn't even pass on to next baby.

I should have clarified, for safety it is recommended not to re use mattresses for babies. Carseats have a shelf life and if you don't know their history, it is best to avoid using second hand ones. If it's scaremongering, so be it. I would personally err on the side of caution with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It’s not just road traffic accidents though. It’s car seats being dropped by accident. Or if it’s stored at high or low temps, that could compromise the materials used in production.
    People will literally buy and sell anything, and some people are very lacking in morals, but also in knowledge- a lot of people don’t realise that seats that have been involved in an accident should be replaced, so could potentially sell on a car seat that’s only fit for the dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Does anyone have a link for any evidence based guidelines on the mattress thing? I can't understand how a baby on a mattress for 2 years then its sibling taking over for 2 years somehow confers a risk on the second baby. I think it's a bit of Chinese Whispers.

For instance, uptoDate, which provides a summary of all the medical literature, states risk factors for SIDS as follows, and the rest of article makes no mention of changing mattress

Infant and environmental factors:
    •Preterm birth and/or low birth weight
    •Prone sleeping position
    •Sleeping on a soft surface and/or with bedding accessories such as loose blankets and pillows
    •Bed-sharing (eg, sleeping in parents' bed)
    •Overheating

So i'd be interested to see who can point to advice saying otherwise that has somehow slipped the medical journals.

• Advertisement

And back to the OP - uptodate states the biggest risk with car seats is human factors - adults not installing them properly or securing kids properly! They actually RECOMMEND a car seat loaning programme (sharing cars seats) to reduce the incidence of infant deaths in crashes.

Personally I would buy or take both second hand and have done for mine.

OSI wrote: »
    Study in the British Medical Journal:

https://www.bmj.com/content/325/7371/1007.1

Association only. Last sentence has it.

Advertisement