Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New boots please!

Options
  • 04-11-2019 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My 2.5yr old Richa Nomad boots are now starting to leak, so looking around for a replacement. I'd hoped they would have lasted longer, but the rain on Friday evening and this morning, both let rain in leaving me with soggy socks.

They're used for my daily commute, 70km roundtrip motorway + city.
    All year round, so need to be warm too. I have a lighter pair of boots I'll use sometimes in the summer.
    Easy on/off is important too, given it's a daily boot, and I swap to shoes around the office.
    Mid height boot is preference.

I don't mind paying for a decent pair of boots, would rather something reliable that will last.

TCX Explorer Evo are on my list, but looks like they've released some new boots for 2020 too, which might be tempting.

Any suggestions? Or boots to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Best boots I have ever had are the Alpinestars SMX plus, I currently have 2 pairs the goretex version and the non goretex version. They have been absolutely amazing since day one and I have the goretex version about 4 yrs now and still looking perfect. Incredibly well made and so warm and dry......

I have had other brand name boots like RST and Dainese goretex and all leaked etc.

They are pricey but absolutely brilliant.....do not get the smx 6 its the SMX PLUS you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Good brands with Goretex, thats pretty much it

Ive got Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex Boot over 2 years ago and they are dry inside in the most torrential rain all year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Usually that is the case as long as they are GORETEX and not the brand name water system like D-DRY from Dainese. I had the Dainese D-DRY and Goretex boot and they were not great. Got refund for both pairs and bought the A/S boots.....

But you should be okay with most goretex boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

A* SMX 6 goretex. I've had them 3 years now and they're used daily (4 seasons) for 100km round trip. They've never let a drop in and it looks like I'll get at least another year out of them. They even survived a spill, and protected my ankles from what probably would have been a break otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I use the TCX Infinity Gore Tex.

Might be too lengthy for you but I've had no issues fitting them under any trousers. Have done almost 7K miles in them in under a year, originally bought them as heavy duty weather boot as I've a smaller pair for summer but they are so quick to put on and comfortable I've used them 99% of the time in summer as well.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/218130

• Advertisement

I've had a pair of Sidi B2 goretex for nearly six years now, they've only just started to let a bit of water in!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

I had (well still have) a nice pair of Dainese boots which I got Dec 2013, done approx 90k-100k km on them, and they started to leak this spring, but not due to the goretex wearing, due to the soles getting worn down and cracking and leaking through the bottom of boot up into the bottom of my foot, weird sensation.

Got a new pair of Dainese Nighthawk D1 boots as replacement and expect to get another 5/6 years out of them. Got drowned on the way in this morning but my feet were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Daytona goretex boots would be top of my list if I was buying. I have a pair going on 3 years now used daily in all weather and never an issue. Granted they are a full height touring boot but a quick Google has brought up a short boot: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/98115

Not cheap at €300 but if they are anything like the pair o have they will be comfortable, durable and waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

As above Daytona , 10 yr warranty, buolt to last and the best commuting boot you will ever buy imo regardless of weather.

try M@ddocks in Bray, they stock them and can do good prices on them, will defo be cheaper than UK. (Were for me anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

My first pair of Altbergs lasted me at least 100k miles and only were replaced because I tried using saddle oil on them and the soles departed the uppers. Kept me dry and warm in all kinds of weather. My present set have about 0k miles on them and are perfect. Will not break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Bought these TCX Explorer's yesterday here:
    https://www.motoin.de/Clothing/Boots/Touring-boots/TCX-Explorer-Evo-boots-gore-tex::40247.html?language=en

Seems like best deal out there, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Alt-Berg
    I special ordered a wide size (I'm 8 1/2 G).
    Expensive at GBP 270 for the Roadrunner, but always buy quality, "buy cheap, pay twice" and all that.
    Get a pair or two of their great socks, and shoe footbeds, and Leder-Gris.
    Despite all the German sounding names they are a Yorkshire company.

That is your boot situation sorted forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

I had frey Daytona for about 20 years. Expensive but.....20 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Alt-Berg
    Expensive at GBP 270 for the Roadrunner, but always buy quality, "buy cheap, pay twice" and all that.

^^^ this.

I have them too- best boot I've ever bought. The issue I find with a lot of bike boots is that they are narrow-fitting so I ended up buying too-large boots just to get into them.

AltBerg have different widths available so I now have a proper comfy boot that is most comfortable.

And frankly, I think they're good value as well. I've been in the factory and it's great to see.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Alt-Berg

Great boot as we all know

Awful styling, they do look like something out of the curragh. Which I accept some folks are in to.

Advertisement