Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blarney vs Doneraile

Options
  • 04-11-2019 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

I recently stayed in Blarney for a couple of nights with the family. Considered going for a walk in around Blarney castle. However, 18 Euro each is just extortionate for a walk in dodgy weather, so gave it a miss.

On the way back to Limerick we saw a sign for Doneraile forest park and decided to have a look. Wow, a stunning location and a lovely spot for a walk, for free.

I cant judge Blarney castle as I didn't go in but can anyone tell me how the price can be justified. I will happily go back to Doneraile if I am in the area again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Its a sellers market in the area i guess. I know locals get a discounted seasonal pass but even that is considered expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Doneraile Park is a lovely spot. I've recently seen posters for (newly-opened?) Doneraile Court which seems worth a look.
    Must find time to make the detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I've been to both. I dont understand why Blarney Castle doesnt have separate tickets for Castle, the gardens or both. The only time Ive gone there is when the guide dogs have a fundraising day there with a market, its a fraction of the full price and you are supporting a good cause.
    Theres a nice place to walk just off the N20 Blarney exit

Doneraile is super too, its only 15 mins from where we're living now. Its a great go to place with kids. Its always busy on any decent dry(ish) Sunday all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Blarney is an overrated expensive attraction, Cork's answer to the Guinness Storehouse.

The guy that cooked up a story about a magic rock was a marketing genius. There's plenty walks and loads of castles you don't have to pay a cent to go and see in the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

+1 for Doneraile park, Blarney is crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

Doneraile Park is gorgeous, loads of parking there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Doneraile is great.
    Blarney is ok for a bus load of Yanks who believe that ****e about the Blarney stone

Advertisement