Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water

Options
  • 04-11-2019 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am new to brewing and looking for a source of water to use for my small 5-8 litre batches.

I am fairly new to Ireland as well so I'm surprised that you can't really buy distilled water here. (I know you can buy 6 drops for 1000 euros in pharmacies)

So lets say you're brewing a Pilsner, what water do you use to build pilsner water profile?

PS. I know I could buy RO filtration system and build my water profiles from that but I can't justify the cost of such system at the moment.

Thanks,
    DebeliDule
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You can buy 25 litres of RO water from most Aquatic stores for about €3/€4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DebeliDule

That's great.

Thank you very much Sleepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

With RO water like this, you will have to build up the mineral level.

You will need a sub-gram weighing scales and a supply of the various minerals you need. But building up a pilsner water profile should be very straightforward from RO water.

One option that I had in the UK was to get the cheap Tesco Ashbeck water at about 1.50 /5L. But that isn't an option in ireland - every single supermarket water is rubbish for beer making.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DebeliDule

yeah, tell me about it, I was running around supermarkets reading water bottle labels like a crazy person only to find nothing suitable.

I managed to get all the salts and acid that I think I will need from a homebrew store, but would love to get a hold of Calcium Hydroxide but I cant seem to find any in Dublin. Spent hours googling to no avail.

Do you happen to know where I could buy some Slaked Lime?

Advertisement