Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full payment in advance?

• 04-11-2019 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking at some ADIs, here, at the minute and some are flexible about paying incrementally for the 12 lesson EDT course, while others want a deposit and full payment on the first lesson. I'd be kind of concerned about paying in full on the first lesson, or paying a deposit in case they flake out on me, but I also understand some only do this because of flaky students. Just wondering how common it is to pay in advance rather than as you go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you saying they want you to pay for 12 lessons at once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

briany wrote: »
    Just looking at some ADIs, here, at the minute and some are flexible about paying incrementally for the 12 lesson EDT course, while others want a deposit and full payment on the first lesson. I'd be kind of concerned about paying in full on the first lesson, or paying a deposit in case they flake out on me, but I also understand some only do this because of flaky students. Just wondering how common it is to pay in advance rather than as you go.

I had to pay an insurance co. up front for all my sons lessons in order to get him on my policy y. I felt safe doing this as it was a mainstream company. I wouldn't in a million years do this with a self employed driving instructor. He get paid immediately before or after each lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Its a bad idea, what if you don't like them as an instructor, not saying bad instructor necessarily, but sometimes you just don't get on with an instructors particular style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭hawley

I wouldn't pay for the full course. I had a few different instructors when learning to drive and only lasted one lesson with two of them because I found them way too impatient. It would be awful to have to sit through twelve lessons with someone who you don't feel comfortable with. Maybe you could book a single lesson with the instructor firstly. They should be willing to include this as one of the twelve mandatory lessons, if it works out between you. Best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭briany

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you saying they want you to pay for 12 lessons at once?

Yes, that's certainly the impression I get from what they've told me. 1/3 of the cost as a deposit and then the rest on the commencement of lessons. Good rate he's doing, though - 330 for the 12 EDT.
    cruizer101 wrote: »
    Its a bad idea, what if you don't like them as an instructor, not saying bad instructor necessarily, but sometimes you just don't get on with an instructors particular style.

Good point. I guess this is the risk you always take if you pay up front. I've heard of some people asking to switch instructors when they were getting the lessons from a larger franchise like ISM or Airport. Not really an option, I guess, with an independent ADI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn’t do that anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I paid an ADI in full, because it came at a discounted rate and he had an incredible reputation. Very highly recommended and I've given other folks a recommendation for him too on the back of my experience with him. It really comes down to knowing what you're paying for.

Advertisement