Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Byrne RIP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Guys been buried people should leave it now. This guy was no legend or deserves to get the man who cured cancer kind of publicity. If I hear one more Gaybo anicdote I swear I'll get sick on my shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think we are getting more reflective as time passes.
    Like all things the discussion will end in it's own time.

Get well soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

His body language in that Pee Flynn interview was telling, I like the open disdain he had for Boyzone 'you don't sing, you don't play instruments well you're going to go far then' wouldn't be surprised if he gave a bollocking to whoever booked them.

Apologies if this has been already said, returning to the thread late :)

Was he not ripping the p out of an advert of the time.... Think it was kit kat....he pretty much quoted the add word for word.

His death notice says Sandymount so I think he must have moved to an apartment there.

He downsized to Sandymount and his daughter took over the family home AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I didn't bother with all the coverage, we all have stuff going on in our own lives without needing to take on the grief of RTE who projected it onto the nation.
    Sad for his family and friends.

All one had to do was just watch foreign media or online streaming and it was not news or avoid threads like this one. I know a lot of people felt the coverage was over the top, that is not a criticism of Gay Byrne or his family. But it seems such a big deal is being made and the talk of he was an agent for change and to use this to justify the TV license and maybe possible increases.
    I would argue change would have happened with or without him, as the saying goes 'time waits for no man' and as time doesn't wait, history shows us there is always change happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Was he not ripping the p out of an advert of the time.... Think it was kit kat....he pretty much quoted the add word for word.

You're right, of course he was. The dangers of posting when you don't know the context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I agree with whoever said GB would not be that big today.

He was given the chance when young to be a small fish in a big pool but stayed here for the latter

I thought he had moved from Howth to a city apartment?

He did, I work with a man that knew him as he was friends with one of his neighbors and went to the apartment a few times. He said months ago that Gay wasn't doing good at all and never really left the apartment anymore.

He really suffered over the last year or two apparently.

Got it in one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ipplJywE8

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

He'd such a gentle manner about him. I was watching the Noel Gallagher interview from 95 last night. Gallagher has spoken about being nervous that night, coming from an Irish family and his mam Peggy being a big fan of Gay.

But Gaybo just put him at ease and got him to open up. He really was an expert interviewer. He could handle all types of personalities.

Interesting about Gallagher, when he interviewed Kate Bush (also from an Irish family) he didn't seem to care about her visible nerves & proceeded to be intrusive & quite condescending to her.

The Gallagher/Bush interviews tells us something about Byrne, if the guest was a big name or popular he could be a charmer. If however they were new or someone he didn't think much of then he could be judgemental even hostile. Kate Bush, Gerry Adams & in a much lighter way Boyzone:D got that Gaybo.

Perhaps Byrne's honesty is one of the reasons he looks so much better than Tubridy who fakes starry-eyed wonder & guffaws at every z-list no mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The Kate Bush bit there is definitely a misfire. He didn’t read her very well at all. He was being all gossipy but she clearly wanted to protect her Irish relations’ privacy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Listen to him in the first minute of this clip, whether he is quoting an ad or not, he sounds angry and goes through them for a shortcut.

'No talent whatsoever'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The Kate Bush bit there is definitely a misfire. He didn’t read her very well at all. He was being all gossipy but she cleared wanted to protect her Irish relations’ privacy.

My read of it is if you were an established act/personality you got a certain level of respect from him

but if you were unknown (to him) then he could be extremely condescending and snobbish - especially towards women. Maybe a reflection of the times.

Listen to him in the first minute of this clip, whether he is quoting an ad or not, he sounds angry and goes through them for a shortcut.

'No talent whatsoever'

He doesnt seem angry, he seemed amused.
    In fairness, they look like eejits. They wouldnt have gotten a chance starting out like that today, Gay byrne put them on the late late.

In fairness, they look like eejits. They wouldnt have gotten a chance starting out like that today, Gay byrne put them on the late late.

Louis Walsh would have taken in Gays washing for 12 months if he had to in return for that publicity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

True fact.
    Actually I am a bit disappointed that none of the ex Boyzone members showed up for the tribute show the other night.

elperello wrote: »
    Louis Walsh would have taken in Gays washing for 12 months if he had to in return for that publicity.

Absolutly.

Gaybo saw something in boyzone, he wouldnt have given them any publicity otherwise.
    Im not a fan of Boyzone but they would not have been as successful as they were if not for Gay byrne.

'No talent whatsoever'

You need to know the man's work. That is classic Byrne mock anger.

True fact.
    Actually I am a bit disappointed that none of the ex Boyzone members showed up for the tribute show the other night.

Probably afraid they'd show that clip again :)

True fact.

No mention of them at the funeral either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Probably afraid they'd show that clip again :)

Didnt one of them freak out about that clip being shown recently? Probably by tubridy but i cant remember the details.

• Advertisement

Didnt one of them freak out about that clip being shown recently? Probably by tubridy but i cant remember the details.

It’s been shown to death over the years. Typical RTÉ to absolutely ruin clips by showing them at a drop of a hat over the years. Lazy as per usual from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Interesting about Gallagher, when he interviewed Kate Bush (also from an Irish family) he didn't seem to care about her visible nerves & proceeded to be intrusive & quite condescending to her.

The Gallagher/Bush interviews tells us something about Byrne, if the guest was a big name or popular he could be a charmer. If however they were new or someone he didn't think much of then he could be judgemental even hostile. Kate Bush, Gerry Adams & in a much lighter way Boyzone:D got that Gaybo.

Perhaps Byrne's honesty is one of the reasons he looks so much better than Tubridy who fakes starry-eyed wonder & guffaws at every z-list no mark.

From your description i was expecting that to be a whole lot worse. He's a bit cool in his questioning but i certainly didnt detect any hostility or condescension anyway. My initial reaction was actually to wonder if I'd even heard her speak before! Came across very well i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yeah showed it when they had some reunion. The guy that arrived late and worse for wear ripped into Tubs.

Tubs did the same **** with Mick McCarthy at the London LLS.

From your description i was expecting that to be a whole lot worse. He's a bit cool in his questioning but i certainly didnt detect any hostility or condescension anyway. My initial reaction was actually to wonder if I'd even heard her speak before! Came across very well i thought.

Didnt sound condescending at all, wasnt even a proper interview just a few questions after her performance and responded well to her I think.
    Most new artists dont get that courtesy today u never hear them speak until theyre big enough to be asked to do interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

He definitely brought previously taboo subjects to the mainstream in Ireland things like contraception etc. He has been a very important figure in the shaping and development of Irish society. May he Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Correct.
    He went home to his spiritual home in Howth to die.
    Brendan Grace went home to his spiritual home in the Liberties

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yeah showed it when they had some reunion. The guy that arrived late and worse for wear ripped into Tubs.

Tubs did the same **** with Mick McCarthy at the London LLS.

It was Shane Lynch. Apologies for the video quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEA4bRzy2pE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Guys been buried people should leave it now. This guy was no legend or deserves to get the man who cured cancer kind of publicity. If I hear one more Gaybo anicdote I swear I'll get sick on my shoes.
    I can see Gay rising again after 3 Days . Rte are just not ready to let go .

Louis would have done the washing as well .

• Advertisement

It was Shane Lynch. Apologies for the video quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEA4bRzy2pE
    Un-Grateful bar-steward = Lynch and Tragedy .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

blinding wrote: »
    Un-Grateful bar-steward = Lynch and Tragedy .

Shane lynch needs to grow tf up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

blinding wrote: »
    Louis would have done the washing as well .

And he would have taken the clothes off of Gay's body for him as well!

Edgware wrote: »
    Brendan Grace went home to his spiritual home in the Liberties

It’s almost like they were different people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Mmmm if Mike Murphy had of pushed him a tad further :pac:

RIP to him and condolences but all these recycled clips are beyond boring. Typical RTÉ carry on to drag the arse out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

According to Louis Walshe the guys were only picked out of a group of 100 or so the week before.. So how did they get this very lucrative (for their careers) slot? with all the much better acts on the go at the time

RIP to him and condolences but all these recycled clips are beyond boring. Typical RTÉ carry on to drag the arse out of it.

It's probably proving difficult to get him to make new clips. :rolleyes:

It's probably proving difficult to get him to make new clips. :rolleyes:

Nah Francie I mean the likes of the boyzone clip

It was mildly funny the first time. Note- Mildly funny.

RTÉ in their wisdom proceed to show it about every few weeks from then on

Boring stale and lazy. Typical montrose rubbish

:D:D Exaggeration maybe?

:D:D Exaggeration maybe?

Not really.

It was rolled out every time any of the individual members of that group appeared on any RTÉ show - which was pretty regular

Also was often played when louie welsh was on

Also was played on various shows like reeling in the years and pat shorts music clips show.

• Advertisement

Not really.

It was rolled out every time any of the individual members of that group appeared on any RTÉ show - which was pretty regular

Also was often played when louie welsh was on

Also was played on various shows like reeling in the years and pat shorts music clips show.

And they were on 'every week'?

I would say that they played it when any member was on because of it's relevance, much like they play Packie's save whenever he appears on a show.

According to Louis Walshe the guys were only picked out of a group of 100 or so the week before.. So how did they get this very lucrative (for their careers) slot? with all the much better acts on the go at the time

Wouldnt believe much that Louis Walshe says to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Tammy! wrote: »
    Mmmm if Mike Murphy had of pushed him a tad further :pac:

They kept showing this but to me this is an example of the kinda pompous nature he had. ‘Do you understand **** Owffff’’

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Wouldnt believe much that Louis Walshe says to be fair.
    Ah I know but they were pretty much unrehearsed on the late late basically buck lepping around the studio like there was a wasp in their underpants.. Just wonder how these guys were picked for this slot given the musical talent around at the time

And they were on 'every week'?

I would say that they played it when any member was on because of it's relevance, much like they play Packie's save whenever he appears on a show.

No, I said “every few weeks” but thanks anyway!

No, I said “every few weeks” but thanks anyway!

Sure...they showed it every few weeks. :rolleyes:

I found it way more than mildly funny and still do every time I watch it. It’s a joyous clip that I will never tire of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I found it way more than mildly funny and still do every time I watch it. It’s a joyous clip that I will never tire of.

A 'joyous' clip :rolleyes::rolleyes: What ballsology.

Looking at a few teenage lads from the 90s doing a few moves has brought great joy to the nation.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    A 'joyous' clip :rolleyes::rolleyes: What ballsology.

Looking at a few teenage lads from the 90s doing a few moves has brought great joy to the nation.

I find it a joyous clip. That’s “ballsology”? :) Guess I better start tacking on ‘IMO’ onto the end of sentences. Where did I say I speak for the nation? You’re welcome to direct me to that. And the rolly eyes have been deployed. I’m chastened.

Sure...they showed it every few weeks. :rolleyes:

Yep. See my explanation above. It was shown so often that members of boyZone asked RTÉ to stop showing it last time. The public were sick of it.

Bbc or ch4 or even Mickey Mouse stations like pick tv wouldn’t have to be told. More cop on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement