Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boil Water - its back...

• 04-11-2019 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1104/1088651-boil-water-notice-reissued-for-600-000-people/

Considering how many people I saw on various online sources saying they didn't hear of the last one for days its probably worth spamming it here!

Applying some basic engineering knowledge to it, it is inevitable that they have let sub-standard water out in to the system in similar weather conditions before countless times; as its not like either the "old plant" or the technical reasons for this are new.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

This is very concerning, how can they blame heavy rain for affecting the quality of water, is this the first time it rains in Dublin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    This is very concerning, how can they blame heavy rain for affecting the quality of water, is this the first time it rains in Dublin??

The reason given makes sense - that its stirring up settled sediments.

The idea that it has never happened before doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The bit that really gets me is this latest article from RTE on it

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/1105/1088734-boil-water/

RISE TD for Dublin West Paul Murphy said it is scandalous that Irish Water appears incapable of providing clean drinking water to people and there must be sanctions for failure to deliver EPA recommendations.

He said funding for Irish Water was inadequate and that high earners and wealthy should be taxed at higher levels in order to fund it.

This is the same fella who was a leading campaigner against general water charges for the whole population of Dublin only a few years ago.

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/campaign-against-water-charges-31129453.html

It would drive a fella to drink.... :confused:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Murphy has posters up in Tallaght with "NO TO THE CARBON TAX - WE NEED A GREEN NEW DEAL" or similar on them

Any "green new deal" will include carbon taxation; and the one he is probably specifically referencing was the US one which is built around a core of carbon tax.

He's against any tax or charges except on some unspecified unicorns that'll pay for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

L1011 wrote: »
    Murphy has posters up in Tallaght with "NO TO THE CARBON TAX - WE NEED A GREEN NEW DEAL" or similar on them

Any "green new deal" will include carbon taxation; and the one he is probably specifically referencing was the US one which is built around a core of carbon tax.

He's against any tax or charges except on some unspecified unicorns that'll pay for everything.

He is against any tax that might hit his voter pool.... he would happily tax "the rich" tho, the rich being people with jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

One thing that's been bothering me about the boil water notice, is how long does it take to clear out the tank in the loft? Like when is it safe to start using the bathroom sink to brush your teeth again? They don't say anything about that on the irish water site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

It's also unclear how they decide when it's safe to use the tap water, how do they know if the pipes in my house are clean?

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    It's also unclear how they decide when it's safe to use the tap water, how do they know if the pipes in my house are clean?

Tested at multiple domestic connection points at the furthest reaches of the area served; but they've no idea what's in your own pipes - or tanks - beyond that

Attic tank water in a lot of older houses has to be treated as dirty at all times due to the tanks usually being uncovered to begin with - I've seen dead mice/rats/bats in tanks before - but newer houses have it covered and I know plenty of people that drink it.

If the rain tonight is as heavy as expected, expect the notice to go to Tuesday or beyond.

Advertisement