Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Purchasing Advice

Options
  • 04-11-2019 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi there, looking to purchase a hybrid bike for short city commutes. Not looking to send a lot, budget is €200 max. Was looking at this from Halfords if anyone would have any input on it. Or if anyone could recommend something better within my price range. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Straignt wrote: »
    Hi there, looking to purchase a hybrid bike for short city commutes. Not looking to send a lot, budget is €200 max. Was looking at this from Halfords if anyone would have any input on it. Or if anyone could recommend something better within my price range. Thanks.

Ordinarily I would have said that €200 is too little to get a decent bike but that doesn't look bad for the money.

One thing it doesn't have are accessories, lights (essential for commuting), pump/puncture repair, lock kit etc so you can expect to add at least another €50 to kit out with these.

I did find a hybrid in NCD for 195 on Done Deal, that has the accessories mentioned and being a private sale, might be room to haggle a small bit.

Have you considered bike to work scheme? Would double your budget.
    If new to cycling, ride route at weekend in daylight maybe to familiarise yourself before heading in to rush hour.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Maby look at second hand for that money might get a reasonable bike that doesn't look too flash which might deter robbers. Of course will depend if you have a safe spot to leave it .If it's a short spin in traffic a hybrid would probably do the job.Also get good tyres on it will be a big help do not waste money on cheap tyres .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Straignt

Ordinarily I would have said that €200 is too little to get a decent bike but that doesn't look bad for the money.

One thing it doesn't have are accessories, lights (essential for commuting), pump/puncture repair, lock kit etc so you can expect to add at least another €50 to kit out with these.

I did find a hybrid in NCD for 195 on Done Deal, that has the accessories mentioned and being a private sale, might be room to haggle a small bit.

Have you considered bike to work scheme? Would double your budget.
    If new to cycling, ride route at weekend in daylight maybe to familiarise yourself before heading in to rush hour.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice.

I actually have all of the accessories already from cycling in the past, so can save on that expense :)

I had considered purchasing used but the only thing is the bike might need some maintenance/a service if I do.

I'm a student and not working full time, so wouldn't be eligible for the bike to work scheme unfortunately.

How far is your journey ? That could make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Straignt

How far is your journey ? That could make a difference

Main use would be back and forth to college 1-2 times a day 1.5km each way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Straignt wrote: »
    Main use would be back and forth to college 1-2 times a day 1.5km each way.

Might be worth considering the second hand option given it is a short commute and for college use. Again, Done Deal has a few bikes for around €100 if you think this is all you are going to be using it for. You are correct about the possible need for maintenance but you might be surprised, many cyclists take very good care of their bikes so you really could get something ready to ride.

Many bikes are unfortunately stolen from college campuses and I'm not suggesting it will definitely happen but would be a shame to lose a brand new bike in this way.

You could potentially change in a few months for a newer one once you are more familiar with the use of it, and confident about the security.

(P.S. Check out guidelines for locking a bike securely to give you a heads up if possible)

at that distance a Halfords bike should be fine still would try and have decent tyres on it standard tyres generally poor enough so easy to puncture but i understand your budget so you may have to go with it . good luck and safe cycling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I would suggest a second hand single speed. Very simple machines, not much to go wrong, even if you buy second hand. There are no hills in the city you won't be able to get over (I do a 40k total a day commute on a fixie, and it's fine).
    Simple, easy to maintain, cheap replacement parts, sturdy and lockable-about.

Get thee a single speed!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

eeeee wrote: »
    (I do a 40k total a day commute on a fixie, and it's fine).

Yeah maybe for a National Champ

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yeah maybe for a National Champ

:pac:
    It can be done :D
    I do see other people on single speeds going as far as town on my 'mute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Any old yoke will do for a 1.5km ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wouldn't blow the bike to work on a first "real" bike anyway, speaking from experience. 5 long years of regret about that!

I'd say if you can stretch to Carrera in Halfords, they're a bit of a step up from the Apollo's. My zelo's is still going strong on the turbo!

If you're in UCD, Belfield bikes have hybrids in that ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

eeeee wrote: »
    I would suggest a second hand single speed. Very simple machines, not much to go wrong, even if you buy second hand. There are no hills in the city you won't be able to get over (I do a 40k total a day commute on a fixie, and it's fine).
    Simple, easy to maintain, cheap replacement parts, sturdy and lockable-about.

Get thee a single speed!

I bought a 2nd hand On One steel fixed bike over 2 years ago for €200.

It is used daily for shopping, banking, pub, creche etc in all weathers. Other than a very occasional chain lubing it has received no maintenance.

It has two brakes but as I use pedal force for braking the pads haven't even been changed.

For a 1.5km commute with a low maintenance requirement there is no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Single speed is the way to go, there's a ton of them second hand and you could probably get an OKish new one for about €200.

https://www.adverts.ie/fixies-singlespeed-bikes/state-bicycle-black-label-6061-fixed-gear/19170125

Advertisement