Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

priority fuse board location

Options
  • 04-11-2019 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭

Evening all, my sister is at me to install another electric shower for her, this means installing a priority board.
    To make life easy im looking to mount this board at the top of the staircase so i dont have to run another cable back to the fuseboard if i was to mount it down there.
    Is this ok.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is possible to do it this way and comply with the rules. However it may not look too pretty especially when you consider the maximum permissible mounting height is pretty low. I wouldn’t be happy with this solution if it was my house. Having said that it wouldn’t bother plenty of other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Phil.x wrote: »
    Evening all, my sister is at me to install another electric shower for her, this means installing a priority board.
    To make life easy im looking to mount this board at the top of the staircase so i dont have to run another cable back to the fuseboard if i was to mount it down there.
    Is this ok.

My inspector said it is permissible to mount it in the attic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »

That would very much depend on the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

meercat wrote:

I have seen this many times. I can't tell you if it's right or wrong but it's quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We've one in the attic, the attic is floored, board is at eye level & easily accessible though with an attic stairs

• Advertisement

We've one in the attic, the attic is floored, board is at eye level & easily accessible though with an attic stairs

That sounds ideal. However most attics are not like this, for that reason I normally wouldn’t be a fan of this approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

2011 wrote: »
    That sounds ideal. However most attics are not like this, for that reason I normally wouldn’t be a fan of this approach.

I would agree

"Readily accessible" to my mind means a fitted attic stairs to comply with ET:101 2008

And Floored with Lighting to enable easy access

-that would rule out many attics

Advertisement