Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 13 and Charging

• 05-11-2019 9:13am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What’s happening guys?
    I’ve had cables scattered around the House, car and work for years. All have worked perfectly up u til recently.

Now none of them charge the phone.
    Initially on plug in, the phone vibrates and the charging logo appears but then stops instantly. No warning message.

Same goes for my wireless charger. The last 2 nights In a row the phone didn’t charge despite the logo appearing on initial set down.

Anyone else having trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

All ok here on an iPhone XS Max. on the latest iOS using Apple 18w charger and USB-C to lightening cable. Also using a RavPower wireless charging pad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

All ok here on an iPhone XS Max. on the latest iOS using Apple 18w charger and USB-C to lightening cable. Also using a RavPower wireless charging pad.

Cheers.
    Took the charger from the USB port in the car and plugged it into the 2 way USB port connected to a ciggy lighter for the dash cam and it charged no problem.

I'm in work now and its charging normal plugged into the socket. Thing has a mind of its own. It's an 11 Pro so i'll keep an eye on it incase its a fault rather than a bug with the iOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

kceire wrote: »
    Cheers.
    Took the charger from the USB port in the car and plugged it into the 2 way USB port connected to a ciggy lighter for the dash cam and it charged no problem.

I'm in work now and its charging normal plugged into the socket. Thing has a mind of its own. It's an 11 Pro so i'll keep an eye on it incase its a fault rather than a bug with the iOS.

Strange one. Has there been reports of this? Maybe do a soft reset if not done so already.

Strange one. Has there been reports of this? Maybe do a soft reset if not done so already.

A few here and there about Apple restricting charging speeds and pop up warnings when not using official apple cables etc

I'll try a soft reset to see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I've an iPhone 8 on iOS 13 and not having any issues charging with either the official Apple cables or a Belkin cable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

Sometimes some fluff gets stuck in the lightning socket on the phone, which prevents a connection being made. Get a little pin and (gently) see if there's anything stuck up there and clear it out if there is.

giveth wrote: »
    Sometimes some fluff gets stuck in the lightning socket on the phone, which prevents a connection being made. Get a little pin and (gently) see if there's anything stuck up there and clear it out if there is.

Well aware of that. Brand new phone though and it happened over wireless charging 2 nights in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I know it’ll be a pain in the arse, but in your situation I’d send the phone back and get a replacement. I vaguely remember reading (perhaps even on here) not long after wireless charging appeared on the iPhone that the systems for wired and wireless charging are slightly different, albeit the use the same ‘power board’, so if both aren’t working it suggests a hardware issue rather than, for example, the charging port being damaged/dirty etc.

Obviously I guess you could try the usual stuff, like the various resets, restoring etc but at that sort of price you’d like to have confidence in the product.

brophs wrote: »
    I know it’ll be a pain in the arse, but in your situation I’d send the phone back and get a replacement. I vaguely remember reading (perhaps even on here) not long after wireless charging appeared on the iPhone that the systems for wired and wireless charging are slightly different, albeit the use the same ‘power board’, so if both aren’t working it suggests a hardware issue rather than, for example, the charging port being damaged/dirty etc.

Obviously I guess you could try the usual stuff, like the various resets, restoring etc but at that sort of price you’d like to have confidence in the product.

Yeah gona try it out over the next few days. The wife’s X is the same. Started acting up after iOS 13 update. So not limited to my new phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

kceire wrote: »
    Yeah gona try it out over the next few days. The wife’s X is the same. Started acting up after iOS 13 update. So not limited to my new phone.

Ah right, that changes things. Sounds like it’s a software issue so. Odd that you’ve both had it. Do you by any chance use the same iTunes account on the phone?

• Advertisement

brophs wrote: »
    Ah right, that changes things. Sounds like it’s a software issue so. Odd that you’ve both had it. Do you by any chance use the same iTunes account on the phone?

No completely separate.
    I’ll monitor it as it charged perfectly in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

on an XS Max, I'm having similar problems with wireless charging since updating to ios13 as well - but only on my car holder/charger - before the update it worked perfectly, but now i have to raise it a couple of millimetres higher in the holder for it to maintain the charge - otherwise it charges for a few seconds, then stops, then starts again.

There is a slim case on it, but there was no issue prior to the update to 13.

I've a couple of cables that don't work anymore, but I had put that down to them being cheap ****e from home-store-and-more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I'm experiencing similar with my old 7plus (which I've given to my son) - it used to charge fine on any number of cables we have kicking about the house, but now only charges on one, oddly not an apple original cable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

looks like 13.3 has fixed or at least improved wireless charging in the car....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

ive had issues with the latest ios update, the battery dies a lot faster, it actually shut down with about 13% left on it, I got a message banner after it started up by itself, saying it had shut down due to a battery/software error, but that now they had fixed it. Again today, 9% battery left, it died in the middle of a phonecall, I'm pretty upset about it, bloody disaster.

Advertisement