Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set up as a sole trader?

Options
  • 05-11-2019 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for advice/opinions. I am unemployed a few weeks now and looking for work, doing some interviews but yet to get an offer.

An organisation that I did some temping for through my last job have contacted me directly and asked me to do some work for them.

They are not in a position to employ me and I no longer work for the company that allowed me to do the temping (they were a Consultancy and took care of all the invoicing/taxes etc).

The organisation wants me to set up as a sole trader so I can invoice them independently as a contractor.

Seems like a lot to do considering I'm actively looking for a position and may get an offer elsewhere any day. But I'd be glad of the opportunity to work while something more permanent comes along.

Any advice/opinions if this is worth the hassle?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It's work, take it! As long as you come to a reasonable notice period, then it's just like having a job. You won't get sick or holiday pay though.

However, you will need to register for tax. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/self_employment/self_employment_as_an_individual.html

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Hi Guys

I have also set up recently as a sole trader,it is a long story so i wont bore you as to why i did it.
    My background is driving and deliveries so i have set up a courier business.
    Whilst i have Registered with Core and Vat and tax/insurance etc but i am finding it difficult to come up with my own price list as such.
    Too hard to compare with huge companies like dhl etc,so my question here is..
    Can anyone recommend or point me in right direction to get an idea of pricing for the following as a sole trader deliveries/collections please..

Jiffy bags
    Small parcel
    Large parcel
    Small pallet
    Large pallet up to 1.8M high.

Sorry if this is in wrong thread.

Advertisement