Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxing 18 ton truck privately. Possible?

• 05-11-2019 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've had a search around and could only find previous threads on this that were either very old, or dealt with vans/pickups.
    I have an 18Ton rigid truck. I only use it about once a month to attend motorsport events. It is never used for hire or reward and never carries goods.
    I can't find any information on any of the government/motor tax office websites about this situation. Has anyone got a proper, big truck taxed privately?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Showman's cover a possibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s a category N3 vehicle, you can’t tax it privately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Isambard wrote: »

What’s showman’s cover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

In Ireland? That's a UK special tax category.

Odelay wrote: »
    What’s showman’s cover?

Special tax for vehicles over 3.5 ton with adaptations for travelling shows/circus.

Circus/show vehicles here use machine/workshop/contrivance tax rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Stating the obvious I know OP, but can you not ask around at the next event ?
    Or put up a post on the F/B page of whichever discipline you are competing in....
    I appreciate a lot of people using Trucks in motorsport either have a commercial business or are often involved in the Motor Trade. I'm down at the Transporter-Towing level so cannot offer any avenues to go down.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pryantcc wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've had a search around and could only find previous threads on this that were either very old, or dealt with vans/pickups.
    I have an 18Ton rigid truck. I only use it about once a month to attend motorsport events. It is never used for hire or reward and never carries goods.
    I can't find any information on any of the government/motor tax office websites about this situation. Has anyone got a proper, big truck taxed privately?
    Thanks.

Ask what the equestrian guys do: lots of privately owned horse boxes about, albeit 18t is a bit OTT.

Would you consider changing down to a 7.5t - for your purposes should still be more than sufficient, and half the tax (ish). Even a 12t would be €500 instead of the €900 of the 18t.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Some convert them to campers. once inspected and taxed as a camper they convert it to a horsebox. I think it's about 110 a year

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

Thanks for all the responses everyone.
    Most people at the events have 4x4/van and trailer setup. The truck is the business because there's room inside, out of the weather to work on the machine and we can sleep in the cab.
    Long term plan (provided the private tax idea comes to the dead-end I expect it to be) is to convert it to a camper (lots of time, money and effort), get it registered as a camper and then undo half the conversion so that there's space again for a workshop and carrying the racer. The problem being that in order for the engineer fella to agree to convert it to camper, all of the space has to be for living in!
    I think this has changed recently for the horse people. Their trucks usually have about 6 or 8 foot of accommodation at the front and horse piss/sh1t in the rest of it. It seems to me that until recently they have gotten away with camper status, but for newer yokes, there has been a clamp down and now they are in the same boat as me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

What about a mobile machine workshop? That's only €333 per year. As it's for service at a Motorsport event, you'll have workbench, tools, parts, compressor etc in the back of the unit, won't you?

I'd investigate that option also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s a category N3 vehicle, you can’t tax it privately.

Why not? That's outrageous, there are several legitimate private uses for large wagons like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Thanks for all the responses everyone.
    Most people at the events have 4x4/van and trailer setup. The truck is the business because there's room inside, out of the weather to work on the machine and we can sleep in the cab.
    Long term plan (provided the private tax idea comes to the dead-end I expect it to be) is to convert it to a camper (lots of time, money and effort), get it registered as a camper and then undo half the conversion so that there's space again for a workshop and carrying the racer. The problem being that in order for the engineer fella to agree to convert it to camper, all of the space has to be for living in!
    I think this has changed recently for the horse people. Their trucks usually have about 6 or 8 foot of accommodation at the front and horse piss/sh1t in the rest of it. It seems to me that until recently they have gotten away with camper status, but for newer yokes, there has been a clamp down and now they are in the same boat as me.
    If it's a business you'd be able to tax it commercially surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

If it's a business you'd be able to tax it commercially surely.

It's not a business, that's the thing! I'm having the craic a few weekends a year. I'm just trying to keep the costs down and would prefer not to pay the same tax as someone who's hammering our roads for 1000km per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

It's not a business, that's the thing! I'm having the craic a few weekends a year. I'm just trying to keep the costs down and would prefer not to pay the same tax as someone who's hammering our roads for 1000km per day.

Commercial tax for vehicles over 12,000 Kg is only €900, so surely that would be much cheaper than any displacement/CO2 based tax rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

The only think which you probably didn't consider is that HGV commercial tax rates currently are way lower than what you'd pay in private tax on a lorry based on engine size.
    Annual tax on 18 tonne truck is 900 per annum if i'm not mistaken.
    So unless your truck has an engine below 2000ccm, then you'd rather prefer to pay commercial tax on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Fill out the change of particulars form, in the box marked 'other' put 'private'.
    Bring it into the tax office, presuming it's over 3 litres you will pay €1809 instead of €900.
    You will still need to CVRT it every year and need the correct driving licence for its weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

€500 will tax that truck commercially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

How much are you paying currently OP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jimgoose wrote: »
    Why not? That's outrageous, there are several legitimate private uses for large wagons like that.

Yeah but the question is whether it can be taxed as a passenger vehicle essentially. It’s a truck and truck tax isn’t expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I see another problem with the camper insurance, there are only three companies doing camper insurance here and I could almost guarantee that they have a max weight of 9t or something very close to that.
    I'd be checking insurance before getting it registered as a camper or getting an SQI to look over it.
    Stuff like this is hard to do here, in some other EU countries its not a problem. DE and AT registered truck campers are common but this country has a fairly rigid set of pigeonholes into which you must fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah but the question is whether it can be taxed as a passenger vehicle essentially. It’s a truck and truck tax isn’t expensive.

Oh I see what you mean. Yes, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

What weight is it unladen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Vittu

That's your problem right there - having the craic with a vehicle. Not in this country you don't unless you pay big time..

Vittu wrote: »
    That's your problem right there - having the craic with a vehicle. Not in this country you don't unless you pay big time..

Now now, stop being a cnut(*)

(*) Google the username before you get offended ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Vittu

samih wrote: »
    Now now, stop being a cnut(*)

(*) Google the username before you get offended ;-)

Lol, this is a family friendly forum 😉

Advertisement