Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 VW Golf 1.2 petrol, low battery warning/ radio

• 05-11-2019 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi,last week my Radio stopped working,no volume and touch screen no working.Now Low battery warning light has come on a few times,it only got a new battery last month!.Are they linked?.
    I dont do big miles,most of my journeys are short A to B,does the car need a good spin to charge the battery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Could be the alternator........any "whine" noise when you are driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Could be the alternator........any "whine" noise when you are driving?

Nah dont think so,car is driving fine,starting no problem despite battery low warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Does the car have stop/start ? Was the right batter fitted if so ?

Was the car coded to let the ECU know it has a new battery ?

tossy wrote: »
    Does the car have stop/start ? Was the right batter fitted if so ?

Was the car coded to let the ECU know it has a new battery ?

Jesus the Radio just came back on after been out of action for 2 weeks!,yes it has stop/start.The battery they fitted is physically bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

pkvader wrote: »
    Jesus the Radio just came back on after been out of action for 2 weeks!,yes it has stop/start.The battery they fitted is physically bigger.

The car has to be coded to let it know it has a new battery, i think the coding procedure is hit and miss when it comes to spurious batteries, not sure never done it to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Coding the battery is good practise but if exchanging a like for like battery, there should be no short term issues with not coding the battery, certainly not with the radio etc.

Sounds like it's not a like for like from what your saying though, they have an AGM, not a lead acid battery from the factory, I'd make sure the new battery is an AGM and I think 70 amp hours. I'd definitely start by getting the right battery into it.

Those radios did suffer from an awful lot of glitches though, similar to what you describe, so I wouldn't rule out it needing a software update.

Coding the battery is good practise but if exchanging a like for like battery, there should be no short term issues with not coding the battery, certainly not with the radio etc.

Sounds like it's not a like for like from what your saying though, they have an AGM, not a lead acid battery from the factory, I'd make sure the new battery is an AGM and I think 70 amp hours. I'd definitely start by getting the right battery into it.

Those radios did suffer from an awful lot of glitches though, similar to what you describe, so I wouldn't rule out it needing a software update.

Radio just came back earlier and Battety low warning never came on the last two times i started the car earlier.Will see how i go over the next few days,id say they fitted the incorrect battery alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

The cold weather is a hassle for the electronics in a car, especially in a car that doesn't see much action. The wrong time showing up on the clock is a common one. I'd imagine a touch screen radio has a happy zone in terms of its electrical feed and operating temperature. That being said, it could be a glitch specific to the radio.

Advertisement