Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show Tribute to Gay Byrne, Tuesday, RTÉ One, 9:35pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

because unlike tubs and like gaybo she is actually part of irish history

She is indeed - I could not agree more. Always fascinating as a guest on The Late Late Show down through the years. She had a spark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The glint in her eye, the cutting remark followed by a roguish tilt of the head awaiting the reaction.

Her court reports in the IT were ground breaking.

We won't see her likes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I always wonder was it more than coincidence Gaybo got out of TV just as the ubiquity of the internet was spreading, perhaps he sensed the traditional LLS format days were numbered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭gidget

Not sure if Friday's regular Late Late Show will still air or; if they will show a repeat of Tuesday night's special tribute programme dedicated to Gay Byrne. The special tribute show deserves credit given that it had to be put together at very short notice.

If RTÉ does decide to repeat the tribute show, I think it would be great to do it around New Year's Eve or Day as a tribute to those we lost through the year, that along with the Brendan Grace documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I always wonder was it more than coincidence Gaybo got out of TV just as the ubiquity of the internet was spreading, perhaps he sensed the traditional LLS format days were numbered?

He was 65 when he retired, so 20 years ago in 1999 wow. I’m guessing that he would have had to go as an employee with RTÉ ? Or could he have remained on as an independent contractor or indeed employee ? Would an RTÉ employee ‘have’ to retire at 65 ?

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    He was 65 when he retired, so 20 years ago in 1999 wow. I’m guessing that he would have had to go as an employee with RTÉ ? Or could he have remained on as an independent contractor or indeed employee ? Would an RTÉ employee ‘have’ to retire at 65 ?

I think his contract used come up for renewal every 12 months so he would often suggest he might look elsewhere like North America when he went over for one or two summers working for Westinghouse back in the 1980's while he was away from his TV/Radio work at RTÉ. I can remember lots of speculation about Gay Byrne's possible next move would appear in the Sunday newspapers back in the '80's/90's. This may have been after his former accountant and close friend was discovered to have spent all of Gay's money which only came to light after his friend had passed away which left Gay very insecure. He lost out again many years later during the crash. Normally RTÉ staff employees are required to retire at 65yrs such as Alf McCarthy (Late Date) and Mary Kennedy (Nationwide) and others.

I think his contract used come up for renewal every 12 months so he would often suggest he might look elsewhere like North America when he went over for one or two summers working for Westinghouse back in the 1980's while he was away from his TV/Radio work at RTÉ. This may have been after his former accountant and close friend was discovered to have spent Gay's money which only came to light after his friend had passed away. Normally RTÉ staff employees are required to retire at 65yrs such as Alf McCarthy (Late Date) and Mary Kennedy (Nationwide) and others.

Probably got out at the just the right time either way.

Probably got out at the just the right time either way.

Well he continued working on so many other projects such as:
    Who wants to be a Millionaire? , For One Night Only, Make 'Em Laugh, The Meaning of Life, Chair of the RSA (Road Safety Authority), Lyric fm presenter etc;

Well he continued working on so many other projects such as:
    Who wants to be a Millionaire? , For One Night Only, Make 'Em Laugh, The Meaning of Life, Chair of the RSA (Road Safety Authority), Lyric fm presenter etc;

I meant the beginning of the end of the dominance of LLS, its demise was inevitable,with or without him.

Normally RTÉ staff employees are required to retire at 65yrs such as Alf McCarthy (Late Date) and Mary Kennedy (Nationwide) and others.

Thanks for that, yep Kenny departed 7 years ago he will be 72 next birthday, fûck. That even makes me feel old.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, yep Kenny departed 7 years ago he will be 72 next birthday, fûck. That even makes me feel old.

But arent Tubs etc not officially staff? Surely it could have been arranged for Gaybo to stay on in the role as an independent contractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I meant the beginning of the end of the dominance of LLS, its demise was inevitable,with or without him.

Why would future audience figures have anything to do with why Gay Byrne left?

He could have stayed for ten years after that with high audience figures, what difference would it make if he only got half the audience though? His audience on radio was likely a fraction of what he got on the LLS.

Gay Byrne left because he sensed the internet was taking off and the LLS would go downhill? That makes no sense and your idea is wrong. Sorry but someone has to say it.

But arent Tubs etc not officially staff? Surely it could have been arranged for Gaybo to stay on in the role as an independent contractor?

I’m not sure... I presume Gay was in fact an independent contractor after the Late Late as he presented the program ‘the meaning of life’ from 2009-2016 I’m reading.

Ah yes - It was gonna change in some shape or form alright because Ireland was becoming less insular with mobile phone communications, international cable & satellite tv expanding towards a digital future and the internet was just starting to get established too. Things were changing in Ireland and around the world and the Celtic Tiger economy was also well under way by the Summer of 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Jaysus, Red Hurley's grimly hanging onto the eh, red hair...

and a life support machine at this stage id say

Why would future audience figures have anything to do with why Gay Byrne left?

He could have stayed for ten years after that with high audience figures, what difference would it make if he only got half the audience though? His audience on radio was likely a fraction of what he got on the LLS.

Gay Byrne left because he sensed the internet was taking off and the LLS would go downhill? That makes no sense and your idea is wrong. Sorry but someone has to say it.

Well I think with the benefit of hindsight, we can all say what happened next although; back then it was merely speculation.

Also, I suspect Gerry Ryan's Show on 2FM probably impacted on Gay Byrne's daily morning radio programme as younger audiences were probably more attracted to Ryan on 2FM. Gay was also growing tired of the daily slog as he was only presenting his radio show on Wed/Thur/Fri in the final phase while a series of different hosts such as Gareth O'Callaghan and others filled in on Mon/Tues each week for quite a while.

I think Gay grew tired of the busy workload and sought to get out in 1998 in the case of his Radio job on RTÉ Radio 1 and in 1999 in the case of The Late Late Show on RTÉ tv while he still had his health. Looks like he made a wise decision.

I’m not sure... I presume Gay was in fact an independent contractor after the Late Late as he presented the program ‘the meaning of life’ from 2009-2016 I’m reading.

I reckon they were all independent contractors or working freelance - I suspect that Marian Finucane may be another example as she was 65yrs a few years ago and would have been retired if she was on RTÉ staff.

That is a good template for us all, make sure you retire ‘well and healthy’ so that when you can be retired you are not looking back at the ‘good old days’ through rose tinted glasses, stuck in a chair with health issues etc.... planning for retirement...traveling, a holiday home, seeing friends etc, living life to the most is only achievable if you have the health to back it up...

skearnsot wrote: »
    and a life support machine at this stage id say

Still gigging.
    Anyone would be glad to sound as good at 71.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I think his contract used come up for renewal every 12 months

For many years it was every 3 months according to himself on the Gaybo Doc, he never felt secure enough to look for an extended contract.

Eventually he got an agent who negotiated a degree of security for him.

The doc is well worth a look.

• Advertisement

I thought that she seemed quite confused and almost agitated. I genuinely hope that she is not seriously ill as she shared many interesting conversations on The Late Late Show down through the years during Gay Byrne's time in the chair.

I see where Nell is unfortunately suffering serious health issues; she has had a series of strokes. Quite mean of Ryan (a man who goes on quite a bit about kindness) not to let her speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Gay did it for Ciarán Bourke the night of the Dubliners do.

I see where Nell is unfortunately suffering serious health issues; she has had a series of strokes. Quite mean of Ryan (a man who goes on quite a bit about kindness) not to let her speak.

No it wasn’t. It’s by-the-book TV presenting not to go back to her after the initial interaction. She probably shouldn’t have been there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

She looked bewildered. Kinder not to let her have a say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I wasn't aware he had died, you don't even get RTE in my house anymore

I wasn't aware he had died, you don't even get RTE in my house anymore

Or newspapers or the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

No it wasn’t. It’s by-the-book TV presenting not to go back to her after the initial interaction. She probably shouldn’t have been there at all.

I don't agree with that-Nell was very important to the Late Late. She was a young woman when their interactions started. Offering the opposing viewpoint to what Conservative Ireland would have expressed.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/4745989/nell-mccafferty-not-drunk-late-show/

I know she's had a series of strokes-but she doesnt' look too bad in photos. I didn't know RTE had wiped the 1970s feminist episode-she seemed angry at that. As she should, since others were maintained to pristine quality. (The Dubliners episode, for one).

What I don't agree with her saying is that 'she hadn't been back on the show since 1999, when Gay retired.

That's completely untrue-I don't know if that is down to possible memory loss, but she'd been on the show many times with Pat Kenny.
    One time unveiling the painting of her, in the buff, on the live show.

She even called Pat 'plank' to his face. And she was brought on many times. I wonder if she forgets because of the strokes, or a deliberate change of narrative. I don't know.

(Link has no images, don't worry)

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/american-artist-causes-a-stir-in-ireland-with-nude-portraits-of-the-elderly-70361222-237670521

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Or newspapers or the internet.

Somebody is looking for their daily doze of attention. ;)

Skid X wrote: »
    For many years it was every 3 months according to himself on the Gaybo Doc, he never felt secure enough to look for an extended contract.

Eventually he got an agent who negotiated a degree of security for him.

The doc is well worth a look.

I'll have to check out that doc on Gaybo as I never watched it this week. I think I recall something mentioned by Mike Murphy in relation to Gay's contract in recent years and I was taken aback given how stable the media landscape was back in those days unlike today's constant pace of change! Looking back Gay seemed very insecure during the summer months when he would take his annual break from both The Late Late Show on tv and the Gay Byrne Show on radio. He was so insecure that he never jumped ship to Century Radio back in 1989 which turned out to be a wise move in the end.

I often think Gay admired his successor Pat Kenny for having the balls to quit RTÉ and negotiate such a lucrative remuneration package with NewsTalk 106-108 and subsequently TV3/Virgin Media Television as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I was surprised he didn’t speak to McCafferty - she was a memorable guest on the show down the years. I have to think they didn’t speak to her for a reason - maybe worried about putting her on the spot as her health may have affected what she would say. And I guess it’s hard to get around to everyone. David Norris was in the audience too and I don’t believe got to speak. There were probably lots of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'll have to check out that doc on Gaybo as I never watched it this week. I think I recall something mentioned by Mike Murphy in relation to Gay's contract in recent years and I was taken aback given how stable the media landscape was back in those days unlike today's constant pace of change! Looking back Gay seemed very insecure during the summer months when he would take his annual break from both The Late Late Show on tv and the Gay Byrne Show on radio. He was so insecure that he never jumped ship to Century Radio back in 1989 which turned out to be a wise move in the end.

I often think Gay admired his successor Pat Kenny for having the balls to quit RTÉ and negotiate such a lucrative remuneration package with NewsTalk 106-108 and subsequently TV3/Virgin Media Television as well.
    The Gaybo documentary is well worth watching, even if it is, IIRC, nearly 15 years old now.

The standout for me, which speaks to the point you are making, was Gay referenced Mike Murphy quitting "The Live Mike" live on air - Mike said something like, that's the end of the series and that's the end of The Live Mike - we won't be back.

Gay couldn't understand that. He said to Mike, something like "You know that you've just ruined your career". But Mike, fair play to him didn't give a sh1t. He said he just wasn't enjoying it so why carry on? Gay said that the idea of not having something to hang onto was anathema to him.

Gay also said something about having a temp stand in for you when you're off - not someone too good who'd be kept on instead of you.

This insecurity is very interesting for someone so talented - but maybe that's what drove him to excel as well.

serfboard wrote: »
    The Gaybo documentary is well worth watching, even if it is, IIRC, nearly 15 years old now.

The standout for me, which speaks to the point you are making, was Gay referenced Mike Murphy quitting "The Live Mike" live on air - Mike said something like, that's the end of the series and that's the end of The Live Mike - we won't be back.

Gay couldn't understand that. He said to Mike, something like "You know that you've just ruined your career". But Mike, fair play to him didn't give a sh1t. He said he just wasn't enjoying it so why carry on? Gay said that the idea of not having something to hang onto was anathema to him.

Gay also said something about having a temp stand in for you when you're off - not someone too good who'd be kept on instead of you.

This insecurity is very interesting for someone so talented - but maybe that's what drove him to excel as well.

Yeah, Mike ended up in Winning Streak- he never reached the same heights after Live Mike. (I wasn't alive when that show came to an end). My parents could never warm to him-and I think that sort of rubbed off on me too. I don't know what it was, he was sort of the 'lazy' types that arrived after Gay Byrne and crew.

I think quitting the show (Live Mike) in such a manner was sort of an insult to RTE. (Pat Kenny similarly quitting the Late Late live on air probably put him on the outs with RTE after that).

Yeah, Mike ended up in Winning Streak- he never reached the same heights after Live Mike. (I wasn't alive when that show came to an end). My parents could never warm to him-and I think that sort of rubbed off on me too. I don't know what it was, he was sort of the 'lazy' types that arrived after Gay Byrne and crew.

I think quitting the show (Live Mike) in such a manner was sort of an insult to RTE. (Pat Kenny similarly quitting the Late Late live on air probably put him on the outs with RTE after that).

Mike Murphy had a good show on Friday nights called The Live Mike which is when we probably first got to see the late Dermot Morgan dressed up as a priest except it was not Father Ted but Father Trendy. You also had sketches with Twink (Adele King) and Fran Dempsey. In those days The Late Late Show used be broadcast live on Saturday nights straight after the 9 O'Clock news. I think the late Derek Davis then had a show called "Davis At Large" which probably replaced "The Live Mike" on the Friday night slots before The Late Late Show made the permanent switch to Friday nights around the mid-1980's. "Saturday Live" a new entertainment show with different guest hosts each week then ran for a while before it eventually became "Kenny Live" with Pat Kenny.

Mike later did a successful Sunday night family quiz show for several years called "Murphy's Micro Quiz-Em" which used go out just before RTÉ's weekly rural soap drama, GLENROE! Not sure if "Where In The World?" with Marty Whelan (Series 1) Theresa Lowe (All other series) replaced that quiz in same time slot but I think it did.

Mike Murphy's best television was documentary type shows for television (1) Murphy's America and (2) Murphy's Australia some years later - I reckon these style programmes reflected his talents best. Mike did "Morning Call" which had music, news updates, listener requests on RTÉ Radio 1 for 7 years and that slot was replaced by news & current affairs show "Morning Ireland" around 1984 to present day. He also did an arts show on radio for many years.

It's amazing that Gay Byrne had managed to stick with the same Late Late Show on prime time television and The Gay Byrne Show on radio for all those years as the pressure was on him to keep churning it out at such a high standard week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Good article in today's Indo from Kim Bielenberg, about how the LLS was back in Gaybo's Day...

Unpredictable, the guest line-up not being revealed beforehand, the audience joining in with the debate with often led to fisticuffs.

Imagine that in 2019, Ryan would soil himself :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Good article in today's Indo from Kim Bielenberg, about how the LLS was back in Gaybo's Day...

Unpredictable, the guest line-up not being revealed beforehand, the audience joining in with the debate with often led to fisticuffs.

Imagine that in 2019, Ryan would soil himself :D

The only occasion that came anywhere near that in Tubridy`s time on the LLS was when Linda Martin and Billy McGuinness went head to head a few years back. And as far as I remember Ryan did look as if he was going to **** himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

does anyone know why Marian Finucane wasn't at either the tribute show or funeral? She also had very little to say on her radio programme this morning about Gaybo

Leilak wrote: »
    does anyone know why Marian Finucane wasn't at either the tribute show or funeral? She also had very little to say on her radio programme this morning about Gaybo

With all of those egos involved they cant all have been the bosom buddies the claim in their eulogising.

No idea. Maybe they were not friends?

She was out in the smoking room?

No idea. Maybe they were not friends?

Possibly but when a broadcaster of that stature dies generally everyone toes the company line, eg Jimmy Savile and then subsequent u-turns by the same company drones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

she was at both

Independent.ie on Saturday 09/11/2019
    Entertainment section/Joe Brolly

Joe Brolly: 'For all the sugary words from RTE's top brass, Gay Byrne wouldn't last two minutes there nowadays'

Readers under 40 will not appreciate just how thrilling, shocking and transformative Gaybo was. In truth, they should have retired The Late Late Show along with him..."

Source/Full article by Joe Brolly as per below link:
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/joe-brolly-for-all-the-sugary-words-from-rtes-top-brass-gay-byrne-wouldnt-last-two-minutes-there-nowadays-38676958.html

I would recommend those interested to review this article as it does seem to reflect what was unique about Gay influence from 1962-1999 versus where The Late Late Show has ended up since Gay departed the show back at the end of May, 1999. I would have to agree that the show probably should have finished as soon as Gay Byrne exited. Yes of course so many things have changed such as attitudes, access to foreign media, new technologies etc; however; now it should be more engaging rather than safe and predictable most of the time.

Independent.ie on Saturday 09/11/2019
    Entertainment section/Joe Brolly

Joe Brolly: 'For all the sugary words from RTE's top brass, Gay Byrne wouldn't last two minutes there nowadays'

Readers under 40 will not appreciate just how thrilling, shocking and transformative Gaybo was. In truth, they should have retired The Late Late Show along with him..."

Source/Full article by Joe Brolly as per below link:
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/joe-brolly-for-all-the-sugary-words-from-rtes-top-brass-gay-byrne-wouldnt-last-two-minutes-there-nowadays-38676958.html

I would recommend those interested to review this article as it does seem to reflect what was unique about Gay influence from 1962-1999 versus where The Late Late Show has ended up since Gay departed the show back at the end of May, 1999. I would have to agree that the show probably should have finished as soon as Gay Byrne exited. Yes of course so many things have changed such as attitudes, access to foreign media, new technologies etc; however; now it should be more engaging rather than safe and predictable most of the time.

He's accurate enough in his analysis. Just look at how he was fired from the Sunday Game. Joe Brolly went off on one, Joanne Cantwell couldn't handle him-so instead she reported him to RTE.

It was similar to how Ryan Tubridy handled Linda Martin and Billy McGuinness-except they didn't invite Billy back to the show. But they did invite Linda-possibly because she's ingratiated herself with out types. And Ryan can't afford to lose guests. I'd say there's some in the canteen who won't appear on the show out of respect to Gay Byrne.

But Joe Brolly was accurate-I know my mother was saying to me the other night that my cousins who are older than me, probably remember the impact of Gay Byrne far more than my brother and I do.
    I tried to disagree with her-I do remember many shows and how important they were. But I don't think she was far off.
    I do remember how RTE showed the Dubliner's tribute on the LLS either a year, or two years ago. And I felt that was like a 'secret thank you' to Gay Byrne-it was two years after his diagnosis, and I'd imagine even then people knew the prognosis was not good. Imo, the tribute to Dubliners acted also as a tribute to Gay Byrne.

As Graham Norton said-people had a voice when Gay Byrne was around. Even if it was just calling in to complain about about price increases.
    In the time before Twitter, facebook, instagram.... people felt seen. Genuinely acknowledged. Even Social media is a vapid, vacuous 'we see y'all' load of crap.
    Gay Byrne would take that time-genuinely set aside his own time-to speak to people. When others were trying to shun AIDS victims, ignore them, or deny them their voice... he knew there time was short-so he gave them time to record their voices.
    As he did with Thom McGinty aka the Diceman. AIDs was killing people, taking their lives-and Gay went out of his way to allow them be heard.

But for him-a lot of these folks would have been silenced.

Big discussion about Gay on her show right now.

Big discussion about Gay on her show right now.

I'd say she needed time to adjust to it all. You sort of forget how close many of these people were to Gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Thanks for posting this, well worth a read, though I think that Brolly himself has mastered the art of controversy for controversies sake, in a manner similar to Eamonn Dunphy.

This is feckin' hilarious though:
    Joe Brolly wrote:
    I felt myself blushing ... when Joe Duffy began reading out Auden’s 'Funeral Blues' with a straight face.

Maybe Joe doesn’t realise that Auden wrote the poem as a piss-take on how the establishment goes way over the top in eulogising an individual's death for its own ends.

When Joe finished with: "... I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong", I could imagine Gay’s eyebrows hitting the ceiling.

Joe went on to boast that it took him seven years to get through Trinity. That quickly?

Joe Brolly is full of it.

He might know his stuff when it comes to sports matters but his knowledge of literature is sadly lacking.

The fact that a different version of Funeral Blues with a satirical slant was originally written by WH Auden for a play in no way negates the use of the version quoted below written two years later.

It is widely used by mourners as a sincere tribute to the memory of the deceased.

The poem has also become part of popular culture being quoted in both films and TV programmes most notably Four Weddings and a Funeral

Funeral Blues

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
    Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
    Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
    Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
    Scribbling on the sky the message 'He is Dead'.
    Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
    Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.

elperello wrote: »
    Joe Brolly is full of it.

He might know his stuff when it comes to sports matters but his knowledge of literature is sadly lacking.

The fact that a different version of Funeral Blues with a satirical slant was originally written by WH Auden for a play in no way negates the use of the version quoted below written two years later.

It is widely used by mourners as a sincere tribute to the memory of the deceased.

The poem has also become part of popular culture being quoted in both films and TV programmes most notably Four Weddings and a Funeral

Funeral Blues

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
    Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
    Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
    Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
    Scribbling on the sky the message 'He is Dead'.
    Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
    Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.

I have to say, I did go into cringe mode when Duffy did that. He goes completely over the top and it comes across as faux despair, just as his 'anger' does at times. That recitation put the tin hat on it tbh.

I have to say, I did go into cringe mode when Duffy did that. He goes completely over the top and it comes across as faux despair, just as his 'anger' does at times. That recitation put the tin hat on it tbh.

And you are of course quite entitled to that opinion. I too often cringe at some of what is said at funerals or wakes but I keep my feelings to myself.

Joe Brolly on the other hand simply used the occasion of Gay Byrne's funeral to take a cut at Joe Duffy and RTE.

He should have realised it was neither the time nor place and besides he based his little diatribe on an incorrect understanding of the poem.

No class.

elperello wrote: »
    And you are of course quite entitled to that opinion. I too often cringe at some of what is said at funerals or wakes but I keep my feelings to myself.

Joe Brolly on the other hand simply used the occasion of Gay Byrne's funeral to take a cut at Joe Duffy and RTE.

He should have realised it was neither the time nor place and besides he based his little diatribe on an incorrect understanding of the poem.

No class.

No argument on Brolly either! Opportunistic contrarian.

• Advertisement
Advertisement