Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show Tribute to Gay Byrne, Tuesday, RTÉ One, 9:35pm

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I have to say, I did go into cringe mode when Duffy did that. He goes completely over the top and it comes across as faux despair, just as his 'anger' does at times. That recitation put the tin hat on it tbh.

What’s worse Duffy seemed merry/jarred reading it too.

I strongly felt it was extremely disrespectful to GB and his family in mourning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Does anybody know why Christy Moore wasn't' on the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

PWEI wrote: »
    Does anybody know why Christy Moore wasn't' on the show?

On tour, judging by his website. Other than playing on the show I never sensed a great rapport between them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

On tour, judging by his website. Other than playing on the show I never sensed a great rapport between them tbh.

Does anyone have a rapport with Christy Moore?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

pinkyeye wrote: »

Has Christy Moore been on the LLS since Tubridy took over as host? I can`t remember him being on it in a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeh, I know there are plenty. Christy never looked comfortable in Montrose to be honest, plenty of artists and others out there like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've met him several times. Always a gent to deal with.

He doesn't suffer gobsh1tes.

This is the last time I remember him on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Independent.ie on Saturday 09/11/2019
    Entertainment section/Joe Brolly

Joe Brolly: 'For all the sugary words from RTE's top brass, Gay Byrne wouldn't last two minutes there nowadays'

Readers under 40 will not appreciate just how thrilling, shocking and transformative Gaybo was. In truth, they should have retired The Late Late Show along with him..."

Source/Full article by Joe Brolly as per below link:
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/joe-brolly-for-all-the-sugary-words-from-rtes-top-brass-gay-byrne-wouldnt-last-two-minutes-there-nowadays-38676958.html

I would recommend those interested to review this article as it does seem to reflect what was unique about Gay influence from 1962-1999 versus where The Late Late Show has ended up since Gay departed the show back at the end of May, 1999. I would have to agree that the show probably should have finished as soon as Gay Byrne exited. Yes of course so many things have changed such as attitudes, access to foreign media, new technologies etc; however; now it should be more engaging rather than safe and predictable most of the time.

Brolly using Gay's career for his own agenda. He's at this full time since he was thrown off the SG. Oh look at me I'm a brilliant maverick that bland modern Ireland is trying to silence, a modern Gaybo.

No Joe. You said David Gough, the all Ireland ref the first day for Kerry v Dublin 2019, was compromised. You've been insufferable on the SG not letting anyone speak. Spillane tries to get a word in, puts his hand on your arm and you start shouting 'STOP PATTING ME'! You can be seriously witty and are very bright but most of the time you're a little boll*x. Plus you want to eulogize about the Dubs in long ramblings with no proper analysis. You're as fickle as a weather vane. One week it's 'I love the All Blacks playing what's infront of them the best in the world', next week 'my favourite team is South Africa as they're playing for a bigger cause'!

Joe you've done a great deed donating your kidney, but you're insufferable with a massive ego.

P.s. This coming from someone who knows Brolly well from college days and even then all his teammates felt the same about him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Has Christy Moore been on the LLS since Tubridy took over as host? I can`t remember him being on it in a long long time.

Sang Nancy Spain this month 10 years ago when the great Liam Clancy died. All I remember with Tubs.

https://youtu.be/5BdZlGIZCsA

Is it against boards rules for someone to put up the full article? I'm not giving my email address to INM to be "interrogated" by an English security consultancy firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Christy Moore has in fact appeared on The Late Late Show during Ryan Tubridy's time as presenter. Have a look at the below special segment: Christy Moore, On The Road which is probably in recent years. I think Tubridy as host should not be sitting alongside Christy (or any other artist for that matter) during such a session as this should be reserved for the artist to express themselves more freely. If the production team of The Late Late Show wanted to interview an artist in between performances they could do so without keeping the host under the same spotlight throughout the entire performance.

That said, I am not sure if Christy Moore ever had an issue with this and who knows Ryan Tubridy may not have preferred this approach but may have been required to follow instructions from the production team. (We sometimes forget that Gay was producer/presenter for most of his time on The Late Late Show and had much more autonomy than his successors in the role.

Christy Moore on The Late Late Show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SVo9W4QM5A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

sligojoek wrote: »
    Is it against boards rules for someone to put up the full article? I'm not giving my email address to INM to be "interrogated" by an English security consultancy firm.

Use a secondary email address.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

My mother told me that in the early 1980s my grandmother used to go down to my other grandparents house in order to watch the Late Late Show or "Kenny Live" as my mother always calls it. However they didn't stay awake for long as the fire my grandfather put on in the house put them all to sleep. We still have photos in the house of those friday nights, it was 10 years before i was born. People don't watch it anymore where I live as far as I know.

Advertisement