Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prepay mobile broadband

• 05-11-2019 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

As the title says, I need a once off 150gb to download red dead redemption 2 for pc but don't want to get myself into monthly bills, my current broadband is fine but if I want to download the game using it it will take weeks.

My mobile phone hotspot is fast enough but I only have 30gbs on my mobile plan so I'll use it all up and still won't be enough.

So does any network offer prepay broadband that would let me download the game without having to get a contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭DopeTech

kajzer wrote: »
    As the title says, I need a once off 150gb to download red dead redemption 2 for pc but don't want to get myself into monthly bills, my current broadband is fine but if I want to download the game using it it will take weeks.

My mobile phone hotspot is fast enough but I only have 30gbs on my mobile plan so I'll use it all up and still won't be enough.

So does any network offer prepay broadband that would let me download the game without having to get a contract?
    Three.ie pay as you go. €20 top up gives you all you can eat data.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kajzer

Sir Dosser wrote: »

Do you I need to send a text to opt in?

kajzer wrote: »
    Do you I need to send a text to opt in?

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There is a fair usage cap on that...

Gomo is 80gb for €9.99 30days I believe they throttle usage after 80gb.

Neither will likely throttle but 3 is PAYG, GoMo is SIM only

• Advertisement

Neither will likely throttle but 3 is PAYG, GoMo is SIM only

Possible but you can theather on GoMo.

30 day notice I think is all so it's a very good price which includes all calls and texts.

30 day notice I think is all so it's a very good price which includes all calls and texts.

True. I'm on GoMo and find it great but if it is a once off then 3's PAYG offer seems less hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You can thether on 3 pay as you go as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GoMo is 9.99+9.99 for 30 days as there is an activation fee.

Three is typically faster (much better LTE network) and they dont enforce their FUP so better choice for most.

ED E wrote: »
    GoMo is 9.99+9.99 for 30 days as there is an activation fee.

Three is typically faster (much better LTE network) and they dont enforce their FUP so better choice for most.

Was just putting it out there as may suit....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

To be honest I wouldn't trust any mobile BB to download a 150gb file, one glitch and you may have to start over

No one you know with unlimited wired BB

fritzelly wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldn't trust any mobile BB to download a 150gb file, one glitch and you may have to start over

No one you know with unlimited wired BB

Even the Epic Games Store should manage resumable transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ED E wrote: »
    Even the Epic Games Store should manage resumable transfers.

Even with great download speeds on mobile (unlikely) that is still gonna take hours to download and increase error chances
    Not something I would risk, you really need a high speed wired connection so less chance of a download losing its place on the servers connection allocation, eg connection drops, get new ip you could be screwed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Even with great download speeds on mobile (unlikely) that is still gonna take hours to download and increase error chances
    Not something I would risk, you really need a high speed wired connection so less chance of a download losing its place on the servers connection allocation, eg connection drops, get new ip you could be screwed

Would this not be handled correctly by suitable downloading software? ....... reconnection and resume ...... not sure why a change in IP address might affect it, but then I do not download games!

Please.

Stop talking ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

This might have applied 20 years ago when downloading files on a PC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

recyclebin wrote: »
    This might have applied 20 years ago when downloading files on a PC!

I remember downloading a large file (an ISO IIRC) some 15 or more years ago, on my real slow ADSL connection.
    I was using Windows at the time .... possibly Win2K (the last one I purchased).

It took 72 hours on line to get the file, and those hours were spent d/loading over 8 days or so ..... the PC was off at night and used for other things than d/loading.

So even back then ... some 15+ years ago, there was a facility to have interrupted downloads without losing what was d/loaded before.
    I believe it was a free utility I had to install which monitored the d/load.

In fact I had several installs of Win on that box dedicated to different purposes ..... one seriously locked down and protected for private stuff, and one 'lightweight' one for the likes od downloading, with another for general use.

I was real relieved to move to Linux permanently within a few months of that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I did the same lol. I had a download manager installed but it didn't work with some of the websites like mega upload. Those were risky files. You could get to 90% after a day of downloading and download would fail because Internet disconnected or dropped out.

Advertisement