Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rochestown Inn...

Options
  • 05-11-2019 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what is possibly happening there? New place going in there??!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Heard it has been bought and a new bar will be opening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Heard it has been bought and a new bar will be opening

interesting. They are doing a fair amount of demolition to the side of it anyway, I'm guessing they will keep the front of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Is there anyway of ever finding these things out for definite??! I suppose it is private business and doesn’t have to be in public domain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

All planning applications are available for inspection by the public, I’m unsure if the bar is now under the authority of city or county council, but call up the planning offices in both to find out. You can either inspect or obtain a copy of the plans for the site for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

I work in the pub trade and that's where I heard it off a reliable source so that's what I'm going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Can't see anything later than 2011 listed here for the Rochestown Inn:

http://corkcity.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e4af482c8da547de9f1689eba346a1ed

But they may not need planning though I guess if footprint and purpose of buiding not changing. Would be good to have it open again and not an eyesore there. Hopefully they will do nice food also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ludo wrote: »
    Can't see anything later than 2011 listed here for the Rochestown Inn:

http://corkcity.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e4af482c8da547de9f1689eba346a1ed

But they may not need planning though I guess if footprint and purpose of buiding not changing. Would be good to have it open again and not an eyesore there. Hopefully they will do nice food also.

you were one of their biggest customers I've heard ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

At last some movement on this.

Plans/model can be found on this facebook page. From what I can gather, the plan is to have the pub open before xmas, and the remainder to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

dotsman wrote: »

Plans/model can be found on this facebook page. From what I can gather, the plan is to have the pub open before xmas, and the remainder to follow.

Pat Healy own it?

Pat Healy own it? Heard he did, decorated a few of his pubs in the past or at least ones he'd a majority share in

• Advertisement

Pat Healy own it? Heard he did, decorated a few of his pubs in the past or at least ones he'd a majority share in

No, it's the Sweeney family. They live behind the inn and were involved in the pub trade in the UK. You may remember the girl who was murdered down there almost 20 years ago, Nichola. It's her dad/brother who are running it.

Just realised I never included the link in the post above - added now.

No, it's the Sweeney family. They live behind the inn and were involved in the pub trade in the UK. You may remember the girl who was murdered down there almost 20 years ago, Nichola. It's her dad/brother who are running it.

Just realised I never included the link in the post above - added now.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I am a bit confused with this one....I thought they had planning permission and had started building early last year? I think I read an article somewhere pub would be ready by May last year? Something happen? Other than the virus I mean...

I am a bit confused with this one....I thought they had planning permission and had started building early last year? I think I read an article somewhere pub would be ready by May last year? Something happen? Other than the virus I mean...

My understanding (which may be wrong*) is that, after years of planning discussions/submissions, they did have permission to go ahead with the pub part, and that's the building work that began in 2019 and delayed by Covid. This recent submission is for the entire development. I think the plan is to have the pub opened by xmas this year with the rest to follow the year after.

*Based on memories of drunken conversations with people close to the family well over a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That murder feels like it's more than 20 years ago, even though it's less.

That murder feels like it's more than 20 years ago, even though it's less.

And the bastard has been getting day releases for the last 6-7 years!

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2019/0925/1078169-whelan-murder/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Woh, I didn't mean to go down that road.

Shameful.

Dangerous bucko

Woh, I didn't mean to go down that road.

You're right - slightly off topic. Back to happy thoughts about the Inn reopening :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Looks horrific. Cheap and basic exterior which looks like apartments. Pity as it used to be quite nice. Still better than the eyesore it is at the moment so good to see it being developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Ludo wrote: »
    Looks horrific. Cheap and basic exterior which looks like apartments. Pity as it used to be quite nice. Still better than the eyesore it is at the moment so good to see it being developed.

Plans rejected. Pretty standard looking development nothing soft on the eye is been built these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Rochestown badly needs a pub.

Advertisement