Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

baldbear wrote: »
    Will you get in trouble for letting someone outside your house use your account details?

nope, my daughter is stuck up in dublin, and i'm using her log in details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

The quality on the sky q Disney app version is terrible the difference between it and the lg C9 app is night and day and it's not just hdr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Is X-Men Evolution on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

gmisk wrote: »
    Seems a bit odd only putting up the first two mandalorian eps

I presume it’s to stop people who only want to watch this signing up for the free trial, binging the whole series and then cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Got it set up via SkyQ no problem. Have a bunch of TVs in the house of varying age using Sky so handiest. Might try the app on the newer Samsung TVs to see if there’s a quality difference. Liking the interface etc so far. Glad to see they have a “skip recap/intro” option in there from the get-go. Here’s looking at you two, Sky On Demand and Prime Video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Jofspring wrote: »
    It should work with a Chromecast.

Defo works with my chrome cast anyway

From iPhone and android

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Got it set up via SkyQ no problem. Have a bunch of TVs in the house of varying age using Sky so handiest. Might try the app on the newer Samsung TVs to see if there’s a quality difference. Liking the interface etc so far. Glad to see they have a “skip recap/intro” option in there from the get-go. Here’s looking at you two, Sky On Demand and Prime Video.

Apparently you don’t get HDR and are limited to 1080 via Sky box, so if you have 4K TVs it’s worth getting the native app. Interestingly it self-installed on my newest Samsung telly. https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1259555/Sky-TV-DisneyPlus-Watch-HDR-Ultra-HD-Box-Bad-Deal/amp

• Registered Users Posts: 54,322 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I have the Disney + app on the 4K Nvidia Shield with a 4K tv

Finding the quality not the best either

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Nijmegen wrote:
    Apparently you don’t get HDR and are limited to 1080 via Sky box, so if you have 4K TVs it’s worth getting the native app. Interestingly it self-installed on my newest Samsung telly.

I had Sky Q since launch but got rid of it in January. Sick to death of them promising HDR but year after year they fail to deliver. Back in the day Sky were trail blazers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Headshot wrote:

It's red by more than 25 percent for the next few months at the request of the EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Anyone using it on an LG TV finding navigating the app very laggy and non responsive and also takes a while to load a video?

Videos buffering a lot too.

Netflix etc working fine on the same TV

Headshot wrote: »

This is why...
    The Walt Disney Company has today rolled out its Disney+ streaming service in seven European countries, including Ireland.

But the new service is being launched with reduced bandwidth - and hence output quality - because of the heavy demand on network infrastructure during the coronavirus crisis.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0324/1126087-disney-launch/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Headshot wrote: »

Native TV apps apparently give better quality than Amazon Firestick or Nvidia shield. A guy on YouTube could only get Dolby vision (or some other HDR mode) working on his LG TV app. The picture from the Nvidia shield wasn't nearly as good in comparison.

Is anyone using Getflix? I'm stuck on the American version of Disney+ and it's only streaming in SD. Looks awful!

I tried turning off that channel group in Getflix, but it won't change to the Irish one. I'm using a Firestick. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but no luck. I'd rather not disable Getflix completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

mossy464 wrote: »
    Anyone using it on an LG TV finding navigating the app very laggy and non responsive and also takes a while to load a video?

Same here, thought I was the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Noticing a lot of stuff that's NOT on it. Considering they own Fox, there's a lot of that catalogue missing. Not to mention Touchstone & Buena Vista of which there's nothing at all I can find & Miramax too

OU812 wrote: »
    Noticing a lot of stuff that's NOT on it. Considering they own Fox, there's a lot of that catalogue missing. Not to mention Touchstone & Buena Vista of which there's nothing at all I can find & Miramax too

None of that was ever going to be on it. They’ve been fairly clear on what type of stuff would be included. Just the family friendly stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

A lot of the touchstone & buena vista stuff was family friendly, some of the other studios they own also.

List of Touchstone
    List of Hollywood Pictures
    List of Searchlight

Miramax also had the Miramax Family brand which is also missing

Unfortunately I cant seem to find a list of Buena Vista titles,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Is X-Men Evolution on it?

Of the animated series there's only the original and the newest stuff.

A lot of the stuff in the middle is either Sony, WB, or Nickelodeon.

Evolution was WB, and then the next version was Wolverine and the X-men which was Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FinanceDublin

mossy464 wrote: »

Very odd. Exact same problem. Will stall for seconds at a time on same menu. Really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Tried watching Brave earlier tonight and it stopped to buffer about 5 mins into the film, then again about 5 mins later. I wanna believe that it could be due to not only the reduced bandwidth, but the amount of people trying to use it at once due to the fact it's only out today. I'll give it a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Varik wrote: »
    Of the animated series there's only the original and the newest stuff.

A lot of the stuff in the middle is either Sony, WB, or Nickelodeon.

Evolution was WB, and then the next version was Wolverine and the X-men which was Nick

Thanks that sucks.

OU812 wrote: »
    A lot of the touchstone & buena vista stuff was family friendly, some of the other studios they own also.

List of Touchstone
    List of Hollywood Pictures
    List of Searchlight

Miramax also had the Miramax Family brand which is also missing

Unfortunately I cant seem to find a list of Buena Vista titles,

Just pointing out that they didn’t say at any stage this stuff would be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Disney planing on have all the rest of the catalogue on hulu which was last mentioned but no dates given to be 2021 for international.

Maybe with Corona wiping out a lot of their traditional revenue they'll push it forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Because Disney either don't care, or are tonedeaf to the reality of the situation, IMO. This show has been out and available on the high seas for a good 4 months by now. There can't be many Star Wars fans in the UK and Ireland who have faithfully waited this long to watch The Mandalorian on D+, and are now going to watch it weekly according to Disney's schedule.

Sure there will be casual or new fans in the D+ subscribers who will watch those first 2 episodes and tune in from then on, but IMO Disney should have put up all 8 episodes for launch today.

They are offering a 7 Day free trial: https://www.disneyplus.com/
    Of course that free trial only went up today, after the €59.99 offer expired.

Most people are not that tech savvy using VPNs or downloading. Most will watch it weekly.

It's also not that bad to do Watching Picard & Better Call Saul and I sometimes think it's better than binging.

Gives time for stuff to sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Varik wrote: »
    Disney planing on have all the rest of the catalogue on hulu which was last mentioned but no dates given to be 2021 for international.

Maybe with Corona wiping out a lot of their traditional revenue they'll push it forward.

That Disney+, Hulu & ESPN bundle looks like a serious challenger to Netflix in the US. They probably make a lot more selling the rights to stuff in Europe, to launch it here anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Virgin Media customers should be getting this soon. Any word on that yet?

https://www.disneyplusinformer.com/liberty-globals-virgin-media-in-talks-to-add-disney-in-the-uk-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

PS4 has the Disneyplus app also that’s what I use ,I think Xbox might have the app cousins got theirs that way .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I know bandwidth is restricting the quality but at the moment I am seeing no major difference in quality between the app on sky and the native app on my LG tv and is perfectly adequate for what the kids watch during the day.
    You would imagine sky would try sort out the HDR issues.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Most people are not that tech savvy using VPNs or downloading. Most will watch it weekly.

It's also not that bad to do Watching Picard & Better Call Saul and I sometimes think it's better than binging.

Gives time for stuff to sink in.

Absolutely, weekly airings give time for things to sink in and I'm all for that. Also, with some of these shows we now wait up to a year and a half or two years between seasons. After such a wait, I really don't want to binge through a long awaited new season in one day, I want to savour that shít. I have already expressed my opinion in the last few pages here that in general I prefer weekly airings versus binge-drops.

I'm not overly tech savvy myself nor do I know much about VPNs or have one. However, we are well into the age of torrents, android boxes, smart tvs, apps, soccer and sports streams. 'Most people' in these shows' target markets, I imagine, have some level of knowledge of these things if we are to start guessing. 12-14 years ago myself and friends could get the latest episode of The Sopranos or Lost without waiting for Sky/RTE to air it. This is not new, niche technology at this point in time.

I don't know about Picard as I don't watch it, but the latest Better Call Saul episode is made available on Netflix in Ireland and the UK within 24 hours of it airing in the US, not over 4 months later. As a big BCS fan, I don't know if I would wait 4 months for it to screen on Netflix Ireland. In the past, we saw channels over here like Sky Atlantic move up their scheduling of Game of Thrones episodes solely because too many potential viewers had pirated it by the time they aired it in the UK. Studios and broadcasters are more than aware of this and some act accordingly with their scheduling, but Disney are doing their own thing with The Mandalorian.

That's fine with me, I was just giving my opinion when the timing of the show was queried in here. My feeling on this is pretty insignificant compared to my overall feeling that D+ is a great product for the money. I also like that Disney tell you straight up how much the price will be next year after the €60 first year expires. They will only be looking for €70. Ah here...take my money now if they want, that's great value and we don't even have kids in our house yet.

If there are a bunch of Star Wars fans who have really not seen The Mandalorian yet and have waited until D+ launched in the UK and Ireland, then fair enough. I've only actually watched the first 4 episodes myself. I might watch the last 4 weekly on D+ :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Set it up on the ps4 pro last night which I have connected to a very large screen.

The quality of the UHD titles is certainly a bit off - noticeably softer that Netflix 4k and UHD content, at least before the current reductions in bandwidth.

Still very watchable though - I'd imagine most people won't even notice.

Advertisement