Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The new muppets show due on Friday and it is getting some decent reviews despite the dodgy Kermit voice...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Dodge wrote: »
    Genuinely one of the greatest tv shows ever made
    I enjoyed it right away but when I saw
    The inconveniencing episode (haunted shop) I was genuinely laughing out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

gmisk wrote: »
    I enjoyed it right away but when I saw
    The inconveniencing episode (haunted shop) I was genuinely laughing out loud.

Just started this now with the little brat. Very good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Just started this now with the little brat. Very good

Yeah, I only watched it because of the little one but as much as she loves it, I know I get way more from it that she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gmisk wrote: »
    The new muppets show due on Friday and it is getting some decent reviews despite the dodgy Kermit voice...

Seems the case from the trailer but is it mostly socially distant made show? I watched the first 2 episodes of the new Fraggle Rock and they were written for and made in that format

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Clareman wrote: »
    I think you also have to have a Skh UHD subscription as well, well for Netflix if you don't have SKy HD you don't get HD Netflix

I don’t think it matters for Disney+ the way it does for Netflix (because there’s just one tier and no real benefit to paying through Sky) but I could be wrong on that, I have a UHD sub so I can’t really test it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭OU812

Disney to launch new international streaming platform Disney Star in 2021.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-to-launch-star-streaming-service/

This is Hulu International.

During the Walt Disney Company’s Investor Call, Bob Chepek announced that they will be launching a new international general streaming service called “Star”.

The new streaming service will launch in 2021 and will consist of the following brands:

ABC
    FX
    Freeform
    Searchlight
    20th Century Studios
    This will be mirroring the Disney+ strategy and using all of their own library content to launch a brand new platform, with similar technology.

During the financial call, it was said that Hulu is only known within the US, the Hulu branding doesn’t mean as much as “Star”. And with Hulu featuring lots of licenced content, Star will just offer Disney owned content.

I’m confused why they have gone for Star rather than Hulu. Yes it’s more well known internationally but outside of Asia it’s almost completely known for channels marketed at Indian expats.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

In the articles I kept reading that "Star" is known worldwide and "Hulu" isn't known outside the US. I'd never heard of Star before, but have been hearing about Hulu for years now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

icdg wrote: »
    I’m confused why they have gone for Star rather than Hulu. Yes it’s more well known internationally but outside of Asia it’s almost completely known for channels marketed at Indian expats.

From the article
    Also, with NBC Universal owning 33% of Hulu, by launching the new service as Star, it wouldn’t increase the value of Hulu, resulting in Disney having to pay more to Comcast when it eventually buys out their existing contract.

• Advertisement

That makes far more sense. It may also have been a case of just picking a brand they owned that they had worldwide rights for.

They'll possibly rebrand one way when they get rid of Comcast - Hulu will become Disney Star or Disney Star will become Hulu.

As an aside, I read the other day that Disney have their eye on Paramount Studios for another acquisition. Paramount have no big movies this year because of the pandemic & have lost hundreds of millions in the past couple of years. All their big titles will be going up against everyone else's big ones next year.

Apple & Netflix are also apparently looking over them for acquisition.

Whomever buys them would bring a number of valuable franchises under their control - Transformers, Mission Impossible, Indiana Jones from Movies, NCIS, Amazing Race, Blue Bloods, SWAT, Seal Team, Star Trek from TV as well as extensive back catalogues in both areas..

They'd be perfect for Apple to flesh out Apple+ content, although the quality of the shows is very different.

Disney + is about to have its first pay per view ‘event’ with Mulan to be made available in the absence of cinemas

$30 is the rumoured price in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Dodge wrote: »
    Disney + is about to have its first pay per view ‘event’ with Mulan to be made available in the absence of cinemas

$30 is the rumoured price in the US

Would you be bothered?!

Me? No. I’m sure some will.

I saw an add for Trolls 2 on Sky the other day and their ‘rental’ price was €18
    (edit - it was "Scoob" - a new Scooby Doo movie)

Wouldn’t pay that either but again, I’m sure plenty do

OU812 wrote: »
    They'll possibly rebrand one way when they get rid of Comcast - Hulu will become Disney Star or Disney Star will become Hulu.

As an aside, I read the other day that Disney have their eye on Paramount Studios for another acquisition. Paramount have no big movies this year because of the pandemic & have lost hundreds of millions in the past couple of years. All their big titles will be going up against everyone else's big ones next year.

Apple & Netflix are also apparently looking over them for acquisition.

Whomever buys them would bring a number of valuable franchises under their control - Transformers, Mission Impossible, Indiana Jones from Movies, NCIS, Amazing Race, Blue Bloods, SWAT, Seal Team, Star Trek from TV as well as extensive back catalogues in both areas..

They'd be perfect for Apple to flesh out Apple+ content, although the quality of the shows is very different.

A problem with just buying Paramount Pictures is that all the rights issues with these franchises that plagued both CBS and Paramount with regard Star Trek in particular during the Viacom/CBS split will rare their ugly head again, and even if Disney could get US regulatory approval for buying Paramount, they will not get it to buy CBS. With Netflix the attraction would be getting the TV side of these franchises but a buyout of ViacomCBS would eat them alive - it would almost certainly end up a reverse takeover with the old media side firmly in charge (think AOL Time Warner). I can see the attraction maybe for Apple, though, who are badly in need of content for their service.

More adult content coming to Disney+

Would make total sense to add in an over 12s section with a PIN (& of course charge appropriately). Would save them millions in development costs for STAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sounds interesting if true. Would this be open to subscribers I wonder, or require another subscription?

Sounds interesting if true. Would this be open to subscribers I wonder, or require another subscription?

I'm guessing another subscription tier, which I'd probably go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭micks_address

Anyone get gliching with Disney plus? Noticed last few days movies pause and start again. Don't think it's broadband as on 500mb. Ethernet via powerline adapters to router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Anyone get gliching with Disney plus? Noticed last few days movies pause and start again. Don't think it's broadband as on 500mb. Ethernet via powerline adapters to router

Yes getting the same thing via sky q mini box.

nialldinho wrote: »
    Yes getting the same thing via sky q mini box.

Was fine using Chromecast... glitches on LG TV app.. no issues with Netflix or prime

Was fine using Chromecast... glitches on LG TV app.. no issues with Netflix or prime

Tried on wifi today but still get random glitches..fine via Chromecast

For X-Men fans, Dark Phoenix has been added. No idea why the other McEvoy/Fassbender movies (other than Days of Future Past) aren’t there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

For X-Men fans, Dark Phoenix has been added. No idea why the other McEvoy/Fassbender movies (other than Days of Future Past) aren’t there.

Some other streaming service still has the rights for them (dunno which one) - they'll be added eventually whenever the contracts run out elsewhere (wherever that may be).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Days of Future Past is the only one I’d be interested in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Days of Future Past is the only one I’d be interested in

X2 was brilliant for the time, I tend to watch it whenever it's on but I don't know if I'd pick it over anything else available on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Looks like Mulan is priced at €21.99 for release on 4th september. Will be interesting to see what kind of uptake it gets.

spuddy01 wrote: »
    Looks like Mulan is priced at €21.99 for release on 4th september. Will be interesting to see what kind of uptake it gets.

That's not to bad. Cinema ticket for family of four would be at least 28 euro in my local and then you can rewatch as often as you want at home. The downside for Disney is I'm pretty sure they day this releases there will be high quality copies available online to download. Cinema releases tend to isolate a bit from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That’s not a bad price. A family movie night in for €21 is reasonable enough.

Advertisement