Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

icdg wrote: »
    The U.K. is specifically mentioned (for a price increase, anyway) in the separate Star fact sheet I linked to.

The Sky deal - basically Sky traded exclusivity on the Simpsons in return for a renewal of its 20th Century (Fox) rights. Not sure how long it lasts but my understanding is that it’s specifically for the film studio catalogue so it shouldn’t necessarily stop Star launching with for example the Fox U.K. content that Disney fully owns.

Should it be a separate app? If you were going to take both anyway, wouldn’t you prefer to pay less for a single app? I agree it’s a risky strategy to associate the kid-friendly Disney brand with more mature content.

From the business point of view I’m shocked Disney are associating their mainly family friendly streaming app with some very, very “mature” content.

Remember when they fired James Gunn ?

Now Family Guy and American Dad and Sons of Anarchy are okay for Disney+?

As for myself, if opting into Star splashes stuff unsuitable for kids across the Disney+ home screen then I won’t be taking no matter that The Americans is awesome and I want to see Atlanta.

Yes, Netflix can be easily switched out of the Kids problem but fortunately my kids haven’t because they use it to watch specific things and know n it to to switch problems. Something Disney should be a safe place where they can watch what they like (the Three Men movies are the only things I don’t want them watching but It is a far cry from stuff in The Americans.)

However I must be wrong about access. The guy babbled in about the parental controls a bit - surely you have to opt in and use the password every time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I would be shocked if they didn't introduce some sort of parental controls.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I would be shocked if they didn't introduce some sort of parental controls.

I cannot find where I read it (and I’m positive that this is not how the Disney rep explained it) but supposedly we will be able choose which profile gets Star access and then those profiles can be password protected.

Again that is not what was said in the video so I don’t know if it is true.

I have not watched any of season two of The Mandolorian yet.

Is there anything spoilery for it in the Star Wars part of the present?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I cannot find where I read it (and I’m positive that this is not how the Disney rep explained it) but supposedly we will be able choose which profile gets Star access and then those profiles can be password protected.

Again that is not what was said in the video so I don’t know if it is true.

Read the fact sheet icdg posted. It’s all in there. Parental controls galore. Similar to Netflix’s with extra pin control if you want

For Disney it makes total sense. They have the family market. The amount of people who’ll leave because of possible access to mature content is minuscule compared to the amount of people who might join because they don’t think it’s *just* for kids

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Read the fact sheet icdg posted. It’s all in there. Parental controls galore. Similar to Netflix’s with extra pin control if you want

For Disney it makes total sense. They have the family market. The amount of people who’ll leave because of possible access to mature content is minuscule compared to the amount of people who might join because they don’t think it’s *just* for kids

I didn’t think to check the fact sheet. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

I have not watched any of season two of The Mandolorian yet.

Is there anything spoilery for it in the Star Wars part of the present?

Yeah there's a few major spoilers if you haven't seen season 2

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I wonder how all these are going to work. Like I know after Mandalorian, we'll be into Wandavison. Are they going to alternate Star Wars and Marvel

Its going to be mostly Marvel for the next while. Wandavision in January, TFATWS in March, Loki in May, Hawkeye in autumn. Think Mando S3 in December will be the next Star wars show, rest were all 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mr Crispy wrote:
    That'd be my worry. I don't know if Brexit means "we" can wrestle back some rights from them as we'd be further apart as jurisdictions??

That would be nice but as long as they are selling their service here in Ireland then they will have exclusive rights would be my guess. Its not so much that they are in the eu. It's more that they buy the rights for Ireland and the UK

ceegee wrote: »
    Yeah there's a few major spoilers if you haven't seen season 2

Can the spoilers be skipped in the segment from LucasFilm?

I had heard about the Ahoska rumour ages ago and I saw an image that I seems to confirm it.

Also had something pop up on a screen that suggested Katie Sackoff was in Mando (as Bo-Kataan I assume)

I do want to see the segment but it if something more about Mando season 2 is revealed I guess I should avoid if it isn’t skippable

• Advertisement

Can the spoilers be skipped in the segment from LucasFilm?

I had heard about the Ahoska rumour ages ago and I saw an image that I seems to confirm it.

Also had something pop up on a screen that suggested Katie Sackoff was in Mando (as Bo-Kataan I assume)

I do want to see the segment but it if something more about Mando season 2 is revealed I guess I should avoid if it isn’t skippable
    Skip forward 7 minutes when Kathleen Kennedy starts talking about Mando, other than that I think you'll be fine except for the last splash screen with all the titles of upcoming shows.
    Edit: you can watch from 8:05

ceegee wrote: »
    Skip forward 7 minutes when Kathleen Kennedy starts talking about Mando, other than that I think you'll be fine except for the last splash screen with all the titles of upcoming shows.
    Edit: you can watch from 8:05

Sound.

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I've this nagging feeling that we won't be getting Star over here, at least not any time soon, even if that would be amazing.

And I see that some people have mentioned a preference for Star to be a separate app? Surely it would make more sense for it to be a part of the one Disney app? This would add huge value to Disney+, especially for those who don't have kids. I'm pretty sure Disney will set up some kind of parental controls, since the rest of its content is all family friendly material.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

And I see that some people have mentioned a preference for Star to be a separate app? Surely it would make more sense for it to be a part of the one Disney app? This would add huge value to Disney+, especially for those who don't have kids. I'm pretty sure Disney will set up some kind of parental controls, since the rest of its content is all family friendly material.

People with kids always be like...

"Will somebody please think of the Children"

and the rest of us who realise the world doesn't revolve around other people's children, just over here going...

"Nah, I wanna watch things as cheaply and conveniently in as few places as possible"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

and the rest of us who realise the world doesn't revolve around other people's children, just over here going...

"Nah, I wanna watch things as cheaply and conveniently in as few places as possible"
    And Disney will be "How can we maximize our profits? Oh I know; one app developed and sold to everyone at a higher price due to the combined content we'd have to pay to develop anyway."

I've this nagging feeling that we won't be getting Star over here, at least not any time soon, even if that would be amazing.

I haven’t had time to check the fact sheet but Ireland and the U.K. seemed to be excluded at the presentation but a price hike for U.K. is mentioned in the document I was told. I cannot recall if the poster said Ireland too.

Sky doesn’t have rights to it all and there is now app exclusive content on the way so Ireland might be getting a Star with less stuff than other regions.

I’ve seen more about mixing in the mature content and I think there is sufficient protection to satisfy me.

I’m still shocked at Disney making the decision - they live on the clean, friendly image and I was already surprised at some of the stuff they put on Disney+. Star has shows we’re truest horrible, violent things happen. The opposite of the clean image.

And someone is always bitching existence of children, etc

And someone is always bitching existence of children, etc

Oh that's quite the impressive stretch you've made.

No need to clutch your pearls so tightly up there on that high horse pal, nobody is bitching the existence of children, children are generally pretty sound, its the parents who overreact to every little thing and can't see outside of their own little parental bubbles that any bitching is directed at. ;)

Oh that's quite the impressive stretch you've made.

No need to clutch your pearls so tightly up there on that high horse pal, nobody is bitching the existence of children, children are generally pretty sound, its the parents who overreact to every little thing and can't see outside of their own little parental bubbles that any bitching is directed at. ;)

I wasn’t able to lay hands on the pearls because you already had them, and I could tell there would be no getting them from you.

You are going have to explain in what way I was in a “high horse”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Between Marvel and Star Wars. I fear Disney has bitten off more than it can handle. Netflix was barely capable of holding its 6 Defenders (DD, JJ, LC, IF, TD & TP) series together so how will Disney+ be able to manage?

• Advertisement

You are going have to explain in what way I was in a “high horse”.

Firstly, you're on the horse, not in it... it's a regular high horse, not a Trojan one.

Secondly, wouldn't want to de-rail the thread any further, so don't worry about it...

giphy.gif

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is Disney + similar to Netflix in that you get the content that is available your location based on your IP address?

For example could I sign up to Disney + in India and get access to all the content without having to always use a VPN server in India?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

So most signs point that we won’t be getting the Star section but getting the price rise anyway...?

Firstly, you're on the horse, not in it... it's a regular high horse, not a Trojan one.

Secondly, wouldn't want to de-rail the thread any further, so don't worry about it...

giphy.gif

You mean you are running away?

That is surprising.

flazio wrote: »
    Between Marvel and Star Wars. I fear Disney has bitten off more than it can handle. Netflix was barely capable of holding its 6 Defenders (DD, JJ, LC, IF, TD & TP) series together so how will Disney+ be able to manage?

What do you mean by barely kept the shows together?

I don’t see how Disney+ would be in the way you think - Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel, FX, etc. are each looking after the creation of the content and the shows/movies are various stages of development and most are years away from being ready.

I’m very happy that Tatiana Maslany is actually joining the MCU. Her denial was convincing.

And happy that Ruffalo and Roth will be in the show.

I thought that She Hulk switches between Hulk and human forms but Feige’s description of the show suggests she permanently Hulked-Out.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

She is so so good. I really must get back to finishing Orphan Black soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

She is so so good. I really must get back to finishing Orphan Black soon.

Same here. I’ve watched the first two seasons twice and then something happens that prevents me seeing the rest.

Going to restart in January and not stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

I meant to mention this last night

Kennedy didn’t name Alan Tudyk when listing Andor’s cast. I thought he was confirmed.

Also Mandolorian, Rangers, Ashoka and other projects are going to build up to an “event”.

That is years off though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

As a ducks fan of both the movies and the real team, I can't wait for this

Advertisement