Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What happens to the yearly sub when this launches next month? I assume there will be no raise in price until renewal time.

seemingly there will be a price increase on annual memberships which will trigger at next renewal time (earliest Aug 2021)

No idea on the monthly though as per my earlier question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

mrcheez wrote: »
    seemingly there will be a price increase on annual memberships which will trigger at next renewal time (earliest Aug 2021)

My renewal time is March 2021. The initial price was discounted there too (pre-launch price). It’s set to ‘auto renew’ annually BTW in case anyone forgot

Dodge wrote: »
    My renewal time is March 2021. The initial price was discounted there too (pre-launch price). It’s set to ‘auto renew’ annually BTW in case anyone forgot

actually sorry yeah seems new price is coming in Feb 23rd

https://www.reddit.com/r/DisneyPlus/wiki/index#wiki_how_much_does_it_cost.3F

€8.99 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Was coming here to post about that mail. 9 Euro a month is quite a rise from the initial (discounted) price. But, assuming they haul in all their non-Disney channels/movies, it should be still good value. Especially if they pull them from the competition. (Will lay waste to a lot of Netflix and Prime outside of the US if they do)

(Thought the ad was quite funny too: More "Ahhhhh" Parental Control)

Edit: Actually, I thought it was 59.99 for the year. It was 69.99 so going to 89.99 for the year is fine. Yeah, well worth it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

mrcheez wrote: »
    Not sure if asked already, but is the price going up from €6.99 / month?

I pay by Three credit so not sure what happens in that situation, unless it's automatically increased in next monthly payment
    In same boat tbh.
    2 euro extra would be amazing for that content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

So far I can see that Lost, 24, HIMYM, Desperate Housewives, Prison Break,Xfiles will be on Star. Surely everyone has watched all those shows to death over the years. Plus Amazon Prime tv already has Lost, Xfiles and desperate housewives

So far I can see that Lost, 24, HIMYM, Desperate Housewives, Prison Break,Xfiles will be on Star. Surely everyone has watched all those shows to death over the years.

Of those, I've only watched XFiles (and a bit of 24)

And I'm thoroughly thrilled I get to watch XFiles all over again... plus Futurama, Family Guy, Alien movies ... etc etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Remind me: has Disney announced any non MCU / Star Wars shows at all for its service? Seems like all the chatter has been around the more pop-culture friendly stuff but I can't recall if there's any plan to produce broader content.

Edit: Actually, I thought it was 59.99 for the year. It was 69.99 so going to 89.99 for the year is fine. Yeah, well worth it actually.

It was 59.99 as the “special” pre-release price. Once it launched it went to 69.99

As ever different people have different ideas of value. 60/70 definitely was value for us. I don’t know about 90

But the monthly option is always there if people want to dip in and out of different subs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I’m happy that we finally have clarification about if we are getting Star. I wonder what the ambiguity was about...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Zhane wrote: »
    I’m happy that we finally have clarification about if we are getting Star. I wonder what the ambiguity was about...

U.K. rights issue I imagine.

Loughc wrote: »
    U.K. rights issue I imagine.

It’s more likely an American writing a press release who doesn’t understand what ‘Europe’ means

The investor fact sheet always had it in black and white

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It will be interesting to see if they pull their stuff from other platforms. As others have said, "Lost" for example is currently on Prime. If they pull everything they own it will put a big hole in Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Obviously Netflix and Amazon have being investing heavily over the last few years to come up with their own movies and miniseries but they still have a lot of older, popular TV shows and, as they don't own any Disney stations, it's not like they can pull content from Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I'm mostly curious to see what *new* shows and movies will end up on Star. Most of the stuff shown in the ad (apart from Family Guy and such) are shows that ended years ago that I've already seen.

Just like Disney did recently hyping up all their new Marvel and Star Wars shows for the main app, I'd love to see what they have in store for Star that might have more of an adult audience appeal (not that I won't be watching the Marvel and Star Wars shows as well!).

I'm guessing the new planned Alien show will end up on Star, but wonder what else....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Anyway to buy another years sub before the price rise? I bought the 12 months offer last March, not sure I can justify another 12 months even with the new content at €90

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Anyway to buy another years sub before the price rise? I bought the 12 months offer last March, not sure I can justify another 12 months even with the new content at €90

I've said this a few times on this thread. I think if you don't have kids that paying by month is best value. You could get it every 2 months or even 3 months. I don't think there is enough content for just adults to justify 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've said this a few times on this thread. I think if you don't have kids that paying by month is best value. You could get it every 2 months or even 3 months. I don't think there is enough content for just adults to justify 12 months

I think your right outside of the mandelorian haven't watched much else, it would be a good deal at 59 or 69 but not with the price increase might check other countries might be cheaper in another country using a dns service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

I'm mostly curious to see what *new* shows and movies will end up on Star. Most of the stuff shown in the ad (apart from Family Guy and such) are shows that ended years ago that I've already seen.

Just like Disney did recently hyping up all their new Marvel and Star Wars shows for the main app, I'd love to see what they have in store for Star that might have more of an adult audience appeal (not that I won't be watching the Marvel and Star Wars shows as well!).

I'm guessing the new planned Alien show will end up on Star, but wonder what else....

I'd say we will get Hulu originals that have not aired over hear yet I'd say the Path with Aaron Paul could be one of those.

I'd also take a guess at weekly shows that air on some of their US networks will be added too.

The movies however the possibilities are endless. I will hold onto the subscription until then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

“Love, Victor” the only Hulu original so far announced. There is also “Big Sky” but that aired terrestrially on ABC in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Is there anyone you could go halves on? That's what I've done since launch and will do the same again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭OU812

€90 for the year is incredible value even without the upcoming additional content. I'd rather have Disney+ than Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

OU812 wrote: »
    €90 for the year is incredible value even without the upcoming additional content. I'd rather have Disney+ than Netflix.

Why, there's very little new content being added?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I have Netflix and Disney and I rarely see anything decent added to Disney whereas Netflix constantly add all sorts of stuff, I suppose they are completely different beasts but I find Netflix far better value at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I have Netflix and Disney and I rarely see anything decent added to Disney whereas Netflix constantly add all sorts of stuff, I suppose they are completely different beasts but I find Netflix far better value at the moment

That changes from February with Disney+
    You will have lot more content with Star been added
    Lots of fox content (FX, 20th Century Studios and 20th Television) as in lots of films from fox catalogue.
    Not all fox films will be available straight away they will add content each month.
    A lot of this will be films that are 15/18 age rated

There will be abilty for parents to also control what age related content can be watched

Synode wrote: »

I guess the big pull here is old content catalogue... lots of gems in the past I'm looking forward to.

Alien Anthology will be my first go-to.

They're even going to have Escape from New York ffs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

paulboland wrote: »
    That changes from February with Disney+
    You will have lot more content with Star been added
    Lots of fox content (FX, 20th Century Studios and 20th Television) as in lots of films from fox catalogue.
    Not all fox films will be available straight away they will add content each month.
    A lot of this will be films that are 15/18 age rated

There will be abilty for parents to also control what age related content can be watched

We’ve watched all the marvel stuff now and are slowly getting through every single simpsons but after that I’m not what is left for a seven year old, he has a mountain of options on Netflix like mr bean and Clarence and also oldies like Dennis the menace! Some of the good stuff on Disney is kind of more suitable for girls and he likes to think he’s too macho for that. I certainly wouldn’t complain about a €2 price hike as we don’t have any tv provider so they are both money well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭OU812

Synode wrote: »

There's a huge amount of new content coming.

They own
    • Fox
    • ABC
    • Miramax
    • Touchstone
    • Hollywood

The majority of whom's content doesn't fit within the Disney "Brand". There's also a range of Star Originals slated & new product coming from each of those existing entities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

OU812 wrote: »
    There's a huge amount of new content coming.

They own
    • Fox
    • ABC
    • Miramax
    • Touchstone
    • Hollywood

The majority of whom's content doesn't fit within the Disney "Brand". There's also a range of Star Originals slated & new product coming from each of those existing entities.

I’m mostly looking forward to older movies. Miramax and Touchstone make me think of movies from the 80s and 90s. Not even sure what movies but the names spark that in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Miramax content on Disney Star?

:thinking face emoji:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

beIN Media Group & ViacomCBS own Miramax after beIN bough it off Disney and then sold half of it to Viacom.

Advertisement