Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,822 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

National Geographic stuff is great probably watching more of that than any of the Disney stuff.

Also so glad the Murdochs don’t own National Geographic anymore.

I’m looking forward to rewatching the OJ documentary which I watched at the time. Amazing stuff but sorry he was guilty as sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

National Geographic stuff is great probably watching more of that than any of the Disney stuff.

Also so glad the Murdochs don’t own National Geographic anymore.

Any documentaries in particular that you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

km79 wrote: »
    Any documentaries in particular that you would recommend?

Lost Treasures of the Maya.

Lasers reveal Maya war ruins
    Archaeologists discover ancient fortifications that evoke a “palpable sense of fear.”
    Archaeologists guided by laser images of a remote region of northern Guatemala have discovered 20-foot-high walls, watchtowers, and other evidence that ancient Maya societies waged large-scale warfare over many years. The finds have upended long-established impressions of a civilization that tamed the jungle and built thriving cities, then declined and disappeared beneath the dense tropical forest.

Among the most startling discoveries was a large fortress complex now called La Cuernavilla. Built on a steep ridge between the Maya cities of El Zotz and Tikal, the heavily fortified site included high walls, moats, watchtowers, and caches of round stones that likely served as ammunition for warriors’ slings. It is the largest defensive system ever discovered in the region, “and possibly in all of the ancient Americas,” says Stephen Houston, a Brown University archaeologist and Maya scholar.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/article/lasers-reveal-maya-war-ruins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Disappointed in what Star are offering so far.

What is Star?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

What is Star?

Ex Kerry footballer...not a lover of Joe Brolly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Watched Solar Opposites, found it hard to see passed the Rick & Morty style but really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,601 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Watched Solar Opposites, found it hard to see passed the Rick & Morty style but really enjoyed it
    It's really good actually, gets better as it goes along I think. Season 2 due soon.
    Lots of weird stuff as you would expect...
    the stuff in the wall with all the shrunken people is really weird, quite emotional weirdly in places!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,822 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I’ve watched the first two episodes of the OJ simpson documentary and it’s as good as I remember. Even though I knew the backstory of his NFL career and because of the documentary LA92 I knew about the riots in LA from prior to that. It’s just really well made but from memory I believe they go very graphic about the case which I might take it handy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Nomadland is coming to Star the Friday after the Oscars. Potentially adding a Best Picture to the platform a few days after it's win would be some serious positive PR for Disney.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Nomadland is coming to Star the Friday after the Oscars. Potentially adding a Best Picture to the platform a few days after it's win would be some serious positive PR for Disney.

It's been on Hulu for a few weeks now it got a same day release on streaming and cinema in the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ex Kerry footballer...not a lover of Joe Brolly

VG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Really enjoyed Feud: Bette and Joan, an eight part mini-series about the animosity between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford that was a result of working together on Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? and the fall out from it. It gives a great insight into these two ageing actresses and the Hollywood system that had abandoned them. Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange are brilliant in it with a fantastic supporting cast including Judy Davis, Alfred Molina and Stanley Tucci.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Is there a way to opt out of Star completely with needing to lower the age rating?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Is there a way to opt out of Star completely with needing to lower the age rating?

I don’t think so. For all the marketing hype it’s essentially a completely integral part of Disney+, not a separate service.It has a co equal status with the Disney, Marvel, Pixar, Nat Geo, and Star Wars brands.

icdg wrote: »
    I don’t think so. For all the marketing hype it’s essentially a completely integral part of Disney+, not a separate service.It has a co equal status with the Disney, Marvel, Pixar, Nat Geo, and Star Wars brands.

I got on to Disney support after posting and after a long wait was told the same as you say here.

I was sure in the investor day announcement that it was said that you could decide which profile had Star. I thought the adult nature of much of that content makes it different to Marvel, Pixar, etc. but obviously Disney doesn’t see it that way.

I created a profile for the youngest child of “9+ and below”

I had to make the other 14 to allow access to Mandolorian and Marvel which allows Star content I’m not comfortable with but I will just have to hope they don’t put any of it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I got on to Disney support after posting and after a long wait was told the same as you say here.

I was sure in the investor day announcement that it was said that you could decide which profile had Star. I thought the adult nature of much of that content makes it different to Marvel, Pixar, etc. but obviously Disney doesn’t see it that way.

I had to make the other 14 to allow access to Mandolorian and Marvel which allows Star content I’m not comfortable with but I will just have to hope they don’t put any of it on.

You can further restrict what they watch with the need for a PIN code for certain programmes as far I can tell. Never used anything like that because it wouldn't be an issue for me.

You can further restrict what they watch with the need for a PIN code for certain programmes as far I can tell. Never used anything like that because it wouldn't be an issue for me.

The PIN is to block access to a profile but you can’t block movies or series of your choosing.

That would be most welcome though.

Are we ever going to get Disney+ and Prime Video added to the Apple TV app here in Ireland?

Are we ever going to get Disney+ and Prime Video added to the Apple TV app here in Ireland?

Except for Apple TV+, Apple doesn’t support that feature on the Apple TV app in Ireland. No idea why.

Except for Apple TV+, Apple doesn’t support that feature on the Apple TV app in Ireland. No idea why.

I’ve assumed it legal/licensing issues for the like of Prime and that they are unwilling to go to the expense or effort for Ireland. Or else have simply over looked us.

Disney own all the titles on Disney+ and maybe there I still legal issue as but I suspect that overlooking us is the case for sure - like how on iTunes they not upgraded some movies to 4K. We are the same region as U.K. but the employees doing the uploading just missed Ireland on those movies. Happens for lot of studios - there are a few hundred movies missing here due to simple error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

I noticed while browsing movies yesterday that some of them are displaying the Disney+ tag on their tile. So it may be on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Star is effectively where they dump the content that doesn’t fit in with the other brands

Dodge wrote: »
    Star is effectively where they dump the content that doesn’t fit in with the other brands

Essentially. A problem from day one for the Simpsons which never fit into any of the brands (it’s never had a Disney credit on screen).

It could have been 20th Century I suppose, but Star gives more flexibility, if at a cost of having to rebrand the existing Indian channels.

OU812 wrote: »
    I noticed while browsing movies yesterday that some of them are displaying the Disney+ tag on their tile. So it may be on the way.

You saw that on Apple’s TV app?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

You saw that on Apple’s TV app?

Yes. Was looking through some of the offers they have and noticed it.

Predator 2 is one of them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have a kids profile with access to Frozen etc, and dodgy stuff from back in the racist Disney days, then left one adult profile as was but without a pin, that gives access to Moana and some Star content, then another adult profile with a pin set that gives access to everything up to Deadpool levels.

Not a great way to set restrictions at all, but there is now several levels of access you can create.

A bit disappointed that Millennium isn't on Star or even the one season of The Lone Gunmen to complete Chris Carters shows with the X-Files.

Millennium was such a great series however I've never seen it on any streaming site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, Millennium was great. Very underrated, or maybe just under-viewed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Any sneaky free trials knocking around?

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    Yes. Was looking through some of the offers they have and noticed it.

Predator 2 is one of them

I’ve seen mistake in those image tiles before (the movie title in Spanish, a BBC logo in the corner, etc.)

This could be such but hopefully you are right.

Advertisement