Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you steal customers money?

Options
  • 05-11-2019 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭

Had a current account with BofI.

Was away for a few years. Had a small amount it in.

Turns out you decided to steal the money by charging a service charge per quarter even though there were no transactions.

When stores were doing this kind of craic with those gift debit cards there was outcry

<snip> I have a few savings accounts with you. I might just close them all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

Turns out you decided to steal the money by charging a service charge per quarter even though there were no transactions.

When stores were doing this kind of craic with those gift debit cards there was outcry

They rip me off too, I have an overdraft and when I hit the limit they allow
    Me to go over and then charge me for it, charge me crazy money for missing a standing order, I have a full time permanent job and have for 20 years but just going through a rough patch but they screw the people who can least afford it, I’ll be changing bank too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie.

When you have a current account with Bank of Ireland there is a quarterly €5 maintenance fee. This is charged on personal current accounts and is included in the "schedule of fees and charges" on our website and sent to you when you open your account. Please see the link below for more details on the fees and charges on current accounts.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/personal-current-account/fees/

We will certainly raise your feedback about this. You may also log a formal complaint on the below link to our complaints process.

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/customer-complaints-process/

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

'Reaching out to us,' immature student, Americanised tripe talk. 

They are ripping off the people that can least afford it, it really is outrageous, and very very unfair. Hopefully other BOI customers read this and add their stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie.

When you have a current account with Bank of Ireland there is a quarterly €5 maintenance fee. This is charged on personal current accounts and is included in the "schedule of fees and charges" on our website and sent to you when you open your account. Please see the link below for more details on the fees and charges on current accounts.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/personal-current-account/fees/

We will certainly raise your feedback about this. You may also log a formal complaint on the below link to our complaints process.

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/customer-complaints-process/

Many thanks,
    Kat
    A maintenance fee on a computerized account that's not in use. What maintenance is need on an account that isn't in use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

BOI is a dinosaur

The Juggernaut keeps going by ripping customers off with fees anf chsrges

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

SonOfGoat wrote: »
    'Reaching out to us,' immature student, Americanised tripe talk. 
    standard language 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Having an account at all is a service. Why should a service be free?

If you don't use your phone at all, you still get charged a line rental fee. If you don't use your electricity or gas, you still get charged maintenance..

Don't want to get charged at all? Close the account.

It's a disgrace the way people talk to customer service advisors on social media. Big tough talk on a keyboard to people they know cannot defend themselves. Not like they're human beings or anything.

So no it's not stealing, and what's the "you" about? The "Boards guys" didn't personally do it. :rolleyes:

They are ripping off the people that can least afford it, it really is outrageous, and very very unfair. Hopefully other BOI customers read this and add their stories.
    Read you the first time. This charge applies to anyone, not just people who can't afford it (literally a few quid).

They "let" you go overdrawn. Hilarious. You let yourself go overdrawn. Whenever I go overdrawn, AIB charge me - because I let myself go overdrawn.

What "stories"? Of having to comply with the terms they signed up to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I used to work in retail banking and would regularly have people complain that we let them go overdrawn. When questioned, quite a few of these people admitted using their card when they knew they didn't have the funds to cover the payment but expected the bank to stop the payment. 

I never really got a clear answer as to why they were using the card in the first place. 

I don't miss working in banking. 

• Advertisement

I have a few savings accounts with you. I might just close them all.
    Do you think that'll devastate them or something? The frontline workers won't know the difference.

As ever, it's the folk at the top who are the ones that deserve to be quizzed on policies but those at the bottom are the ones who get blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Me to go over and then charge me for it, charge me crazy money for missing a standing order, I have a full time permanent job and have for 20 years but just going through a rough patch but they screw the people who can least afford it, I’ll be changing bank too
    I you've been working for twenty years and still can't manage your finances, you're probably doing it wrong. Do come back and let us know about the great deal you get with your new bank.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Read you the first time. This charge applies to anyone, not just people who can't afford it (literally a few quid).

They "let" you go overdrawn. Hilarious. You let yourself go overdrawn. Whenever I go overdrawn, AIB charge me - because I let myself go overdrawn.

you realize other banks don't charge this, and don't hit the less well off, instead of trolling in here where it clearly doesn't concern you,
    perhaps go and count your money.

emeldc wrote: »

I you've been working for twenty years and still can't manage your finances, you're probably doing it wrong. Do come back and let us know about the great deal you get with your new bank.
    you have zero clue what issues i have in my life, how delightful no health issues have hit you YET,
    But Karma is a wonderful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

you realize other banks don't charge this, and don't hit the less well off, instead of trolling in here where it clearly doesn't concern you,
    Gwan then. Give us a list of banks that don't charge you for exceeding your overdraft limit or the one's who look after the less well off :)

I literally said AIB have charged me this. And they hit anyone.

Trolling is not saying stuff that you don't like reading - trolling is going on a wind-up, like, oh I don't know, saying over and over that dirt will come out about a recently deceased public figure.

Why would this thread concern you more than it would me? My posting to it is no less valid than yours (not liking what I say doesn't change this). When it's public, anyone can respond to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

AIB charge €10 per unpaid direct debit or standing orders if you have insufficient funds. Not sure if they charge extra interest on the exceeded limit.

Ulster bank charge 9% interest on unauthorised overdraft + €12.70 for unpaid direct debits and standing orders.

So tell us which bank you are switching to please?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Entertaining as this is, the OPs question has been answered and we're going a bit astray now. If any of you would like to discuss various banks and their charges, please visit the Banking & Insurance & Pensions forum.

/Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement