Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Cobh

Options
  • 06-11-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, We are planning to move to Cobh from Dublin early next year. Are there any areas anyone would recommend? Seems like there are 2 parts of Cobh , Rushbrooke and the town centre. Anyone living near town centre areas in housing estates like college manor, carraig eoin etc who can give a feedback on the areas please? Any areas that are best avoided in Cobh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

this thread turned into a bit of a Cobh love-in recently: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057976049

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Just another Customer

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I live in Cobh town - just love it - so many amenities - everything in walking distance - and looking out at the most beautiful harbour. A lot of derelict / old sites being bought up and done up in another few years - you won't be able to afford to get a place in this town - as it keeps winning awards as a tourist town. More money being put into the place - just watch this space/place. And wishing you much happiness in your future Cobh home. X

Judes wrote: »
    I live in Cobh town - just love it - so many amenities - everything in walking distance - and looking out at the most beautiful harbour. A lot of derelict / old sites being bought up and done up in another few years - you won't be able to afford to get a place in this town - as it keeps winning awards as a tourist town. More money being put into the place - just watch this space/place. And wishing you much happiness in your future Cobh home. X

Thanks :) .. glad to hear positive feedback .. looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thanks :) .. glad to hear positive feedback .. looking forward to it!

Yeah I recently moved to cobh into a new estate (technically its Rushbrooke). Really like the place though, handy public transport links (would prefer more frequent but its manageable). Town itself is nice, moved at end of summer so didnt get a feel for the place at its busiest, but that'll come in time.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah I recently moved to cobh into a new estate (technically its Rushbrooke). Really like the place though, handy public transport links (would prefer more frequent but its manageable). Town itself is nice, moved at end of summer so didnt get a feel for the place at its busiest, but that'll come in time.
    Thanks for that. Would you consider living in housing estate close to town centre as a good idea? We have been there a few times and found it to be a nice place. Have not spent late nights on weekends there though. We are considering living near the town centre but hoping it doesn't get too crowded or noisy around. Does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I've heard of some antisocial behaviour in College Manor - now, not a load or anything but there has been the occasional minor incident (probably because it's close to the centre and has exits on either side). They're firing up a load of houses alongside too which I think will be social housing of some description. Carraig Eoin - don't know it I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thanks for that. Would you consider living in housing estate close to town centre as a good idea? We have been there a few times and found it to be a nice place. Have not spent late nights on weekends there though. We are considering living near the town centre but hoping it doesn't get too crowded or noisy around. Does it?

Tbh I wouldn't know the estates all that well. How essential is it that you're that close? Like where I am is a 15-20 minute walk to the town, is that too far? We were same though, had been a few times and liked it, despite just renting up the road.

Doesn't appear to get too noisy. Could be crowded with cruise ships in, but that's temporary. Maybe book into the commodore for a weekend to judge it

Thanks. Being close to town is not too essential for us. A 15-20 min walk sounds good. Yes, planning to spend a weekend there before we decide. Thanks again. :)

Thanks. We walked around in college manor on 2 evenings and while it didn't seem to be too bad, we were unable to get a real feel of what it would be like to live there. Guess we will know only once we move-in and start living in a place and there is no real way of knowing beforehand unless its commonly known for anti-social behaviour. Hoping the few stray incidents you are talk about remain a few (fingers crossed). Thanks for your feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Dallara

I live in the apartments in college manor with my wife - We have lived here for 2 years now. I would strongly urge you to find a place elsewhere, anywhere else would be better. Antisocial behavior is rampant here -call the guards and they wont even bother showing up. The car I had was destroyed within 3 weeks with scratches and dents from BOTH kids playing around it, and adults just being totally inconsiderate. I have definitely experienced THE WORST antisocial behavior from adults here, I'm sure there are nice people too, just not in college manor. Cobh definitely also has the worst drivers in the world, I had one woman crash her car into mine while she was driving backwards at speed - of course she blamed me, even though my car was 100% stationary. People here don't seem to know why there is a line in the middle of the road, and so will drive toward you inattentive and 3/4 across the opposing lane, and this is witnessed by me many times per day. Local teenagers hang out outside MY BEDROOM WINDOW late at night, at least 3 nights per week. Ask them nicely to move on and you will get the height of abuse, they will tell you call the guards, who wont show up (happened again tonight)

My wife and I have been desperately trying to find anywhere else to live for a while now, if you move to college manor, you will regret it.

Advertisement