Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Jacket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

nilhg wrote: »
    I'm interested as to why you don't seem inclined to go for another Mistral? I have one of the first generation, it's my go to jacket from end Oct to early May since I got it in July 2015, it's still pretty much as good as the day I got it with a bit of TLC and occasional DWR re treatment I do at home here with the Graingers spray on product.

I have the pro jacket too, I doubt I'll ever wear it out, just because we don't get enough days really cold enough for it, though if I was out today I'd have it on.

Interesting.
    Is the Mistral Pro much warmer than the standard Mistral?
    How often do you treat with DWR?
    Might try that Graingers and see if it revives my Gabba

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

nilhg wrote: »
    I'm interested as to why you don't seem inclined to go for another Mistral? I have one of the first generation, it's my go to jacket from end Oct to early May since I got it in July 2015, it's still pretty much as good as the day I got it with a bit of TLC and occasional DWR re treatment I do at home here with the Graingers spray on product.

I have the pro jacket too, I doubt I'll ever wear it out, just because we don't get enough days really cold enough for it, though if I was out today I'd have it on.

May well do, was just seeing what else is out there. I suspect there are others with the same breathability that are a little better at keeping out water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Crocked wrote: »
    The Mistral is bloody fantastic piece of kit, for me its the perfect balance for Irish winters

Same. It is a fantastic bit of kit.

I just alter the base layer to suit. For normal winter, just a Lidl long sleeve base layer, but when proper cold, I think its an Aldi Motor Bike Base layer I use. I have been known to use a Galibier Gilet on top too.

Getting the Galibier winter stuff is a waste tbh, the Mistral does an excellent "witchcraft" job at keeping the upper body regulated.

I have and still use the original version, fwiw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I have a mistral too. Completely forgot I did.nust fish it out.

Fwiw,I also have a gabba and an orkaan long sleeve. I should do a proper shoot out.

I find the orkaan isn't great for cold, but it looks and feels like it should be. Might just be me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

G1032 wrote: »
    Interesting.
    Is the Mistral Pro much warmer than the standard Mistral?
    How often do you treat with DWR?
    Might try that Graingers and see if it revives my Gabba

My progression as you go down in temp would be longsleve baselayer/Mistral, the same with added gilet over the top, then the Mistral Pro, depending to some extent on how hard I'm expecting to go. For the Mistral Pro really you need to temp to be sub 5C and cloudy, and not be going to exert yourself too much.

I'd do the DWR twice to three times a season, I don't tend to wash the jacket too often though, generally wipe any dirt off with a cloth, and hang it to air out for a while after a spin, when it's getting proper dirty, I'll put it through the quick 30C wash.
    May well do, was just seeing what else is out there. I suspect there are others with the same breathability that are a little better at keeping out water.

Yeah, I'd agree the Mistral can let a little water in, but you'll never be cold, that's the beauty of it.

• Advertisement

Looking at

https://galibier.cc/product/tempest/?currency=EUR

Its a packable but looks quite good at that. Not many reviews on it, anyone any experience ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Have the quick step blue Mistral. Only time I struggled with the cold with it was when I needed it most in liege, but I was probably under layered underneath. I think you can send it back for re-waterproofing.

I also have the short sleeved Mistral lite, which gets as much use. I think they dropped it in favour of the gillet.

My packable is their tempest. Good waterproofing, and it was after the food stop in the tour de Kilkenny that I found it too sweaty to bother with (it was on and off with the showers until then).

All that's with the caveat I don't have the experience of many posters, and am obviously a fan of galibier. But fwiw, on a damp day, I'd pick my Mistral options over my perfecto gillet.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Have the quick step blue Mistral. Only time I struggled with the cold with it was when I needed it most in liege, but I was probably under layered underneath. I think you can send it back for re-waterproofing.

They advertise this service alright. Very clear about it. The practice is somewhat different however
    I know someone who asked only yesterday if he could send back his 3 year old Mistral for retreatment. He was simply sent back a link with instructions on how to retreat it himself........
    Bizarre to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

G1032 wrote: »
    Am, just looked up that Castelli Idro. It's around €400. That's just absolutely insane beyond belief.

The Pro version Idro is about €360, the regular version about €260. I haven't tried one. The Gore versions are priced similarly. I've been using a Gore C7 Shakedry Stretch since January that I picked up for €230, and you can regularly find the regular non-stretch version priced as low as €170.

There are no cheap Shakedry jackets.

Whether you think that's a reasonable amount of money to pay for a garment or not is subjective. I closed my eyes that day in January as I was clicking the confirm payment button on Paypal. But that is what you will be charged for a cutting-edge technical jacket.

It is the best garment of clothing I have ever bought, and it would rank in the top 3 cycling related products I have ever bought. And I don't even know what other two I would put in the top 3 with it, but it would be there.

You can fart around buying this and that, trying this layering option and that, wondering whether this companies claim is true, wondering how long you'll get before having to replenish the DWR treatment on other jackets, or how long a combination of clothing will keep the rain out, or you can rationalise it and buy the one that works and that never needs DWR messing. If you're someone that's regularly on the bike in foul weather you will immediately appreciate it - I commute 23km each way, five days a week. If something were to happen mine in the morning on the way to work I would have a replacement bought before lunchtime. I know it's at least 3 times the price of the Galibier one, but some things are just worth it.

(This post was not brought to you by a Gore-Tex, Shakedry, or Castelli employee or family member - but I know some of you will look at the price of those jackets and think that they are just massively overpriced hype.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I assume you mean the ProViz 360? I have one for commuting. Not breathable (so I wouldn't wear it on a spin) but waterproof. Not very packable. But good for commuting, particularly rural.
    I’ve just shelled out for the upgraded, breathable version, the Proviz Reflect 360 CRS Plus.

My current jacket is about 10 years old, lets in all water and traps all sweat. It basically functions to stop eejits yelling “Hi viz” comments at me. After the last 2 days of being a drowned rat, delivery can’t come soon enough!

• Advertisement

Plastik wrote: »
    The Pro version Idro is about €360, the regular version about €260...........
    .............- but I know some of you will look at the price of those jackets and think that they are just massively overpriced hype.)

Fair enough. Very difficult really to disagree with anything you've said there.
    If it's as good as that and lasts for years then, ya, €360 would be money well spent. It's just an enormous amount of money for most people to fork out for a jacket.

Absolutely, the range toppers are eye wateringly expensive for what they are, but you can get them substantially cheaper than that online. The only difference between €345 rrp Gore Shakedry Stretch and a regular Shakedry on sale for €170 is the fit, they're exactly the same fabric and will perform just as good as each other. I assume it's the same with the Idro Pro vs Idro. Having spent considerable time wearing one though, in my opinion, they're worth every penny. It's a gamechanger type purchase when everything else either eventually lets water in, or boils you from the inside out.

As an aside, that Pro Viz jacket linked a few posts ago for £150stg - it would absolutely break my heart paying that kind of money for something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm just not sure I am that committed to riding in bad weather to pay the shakedry money for a jacket! Hard to ignore with the recommendations though... Added to the wish list.

If I was paying the proviz linked money for a reflective jacket - I recall seeing options that were black until light hit them, but can't remember the brand. My one I think I paid around €35. But again, maybe if it wasn't just for commuting it would be justifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

I recall seeing options that were black until light hit them.

Cool.....vampire jackets

As an aside, that Pro Viz jacket linked a few posts ago for £150stg - it would absolutely break my heart paying that kind of money for something like that!
    The one I’ve bought? As in you’d rather buy top of the line for big money, or just go cheap and save, rather than something in the middle? Haha, maybe a case of a fool and his money, but I’m looking forward to trying it all the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've also just remembered I've a Santini guard jacket (the 2nd edition). No idea what the material is, for showers water just seems to bead off it. Havnt worn it in anything massively heavy yet though I'd say. I'll try it out next week.

Might need to off load some of my winter jackets

Breezer wrote: »
    The one I’ve bought? As in you’d rather buy top of the line for big money, or just go cheap and save, rather than something in the middle? Haha, maybe a case of a fool and his money, but I’m looking forward to trying it all the same.

Not at all, and report back what it's like.

Top middle or bottom doesn't bother me, you'll regularly find me commuting in AliExpress finest Spexcel gear. If something works it works. I will gladly purchase at a lower price point if it's fit for purpose, who wouldn't! I just saw the ProVis price of 150stg - you'd get one of the Shakedry variants for that money +/- few quid.

Just ordered in Galibier Mistral Foul Weather jacket.

It allows you choose price in Euros and comes out at 81. But when you go to checkout it switches back to sterling at 72.76 and there is no way to change to euro again. Started paying via Paypal and saw this translate to 87 which seems steep. Cancelled and decided to take my chances direct with the 72.72 on Visa.

I understood they are Dundalk based so not sure what is going on.

Really like the sound of the shakedry and thought I was on to something great with

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Gore-Wear/One-Gore-Tex-SHAKEDRY-Active-Bike-Jacket/BBTB

until I saw the no longer available message. This jacket would fit well a Mistral back pocket so will wait and see does one turn up around this price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Weepsie wrote: »
    Hmm, my Vita was okay this morn. Sleeves soaked through, the rest held up better.

I've given thought to getting a Shakedry jacket or Castelli Idro, but I don't know if they'd even be much use on a day like today
    Left Bray at 8am to Dublin 2 - bone dry top half with a Shakedry. It continues to be the best bit of cycling kit I have ever bought, period. They are phenomenal.

This.
    I have a Gore Shake Dry.
    WIthout a doubt the best rain jacket there is.
    I wore the shake dry onmy commute home last Friday in the torrential rain.1hr 20min. Upper body was dry.
    The lads on RAI also wore it in similar conditions.

koutoubia wrote: »
    This.
    I have a Gore Shake Dry.
    WIthout a doubt the best rain jacket there is.
    I wore the shake dry onmy commute home last Friday in the torrential rain.1hr 20min. Upper body was dry.
    The lads on RAI also wore it in similar conditions.

New mistral foul arrived yesterday. Some slight design changes from mistral a few years ago. Colour change and flap at back probably positive. Ordered size L which seems to fit fine apart from it seeming a little short and not quite reaching hips. That may be by design as arms plenty long. It's not an issue but as mentioned in reviews pockets are surprisingly high. Will not expect to be a able to use them much on the move and don't remember this being an issue on the older version.

• Advertisement

I’ve just shelled out for the upgraded, breathable version, the Proviz Reflect 360 CRS Plus.
    The one I’ve bought? As in you’d rather buy top of the line for big money, or just go cheap and save, rather than something in the middle? Haha, maybe a case of a fool and his money, but I’m looking forward to trying it all the same
    Not at all, and report back what it's like.

Reporting back: I’m delighted with it. Bone dry this week, nice and warm, without sweating buckets. Admittedly I’ve also switched to a thermal underneath, from a Penneys cotton T-shirt, but I can sort of feel the breathability, or at least I imagine I can.

The fit is snug. I’m a 36” chest and am usually S or XS in anything. I got the S and I wouldn’t want it any smaller, but I can move around fine in it. The reflectivity doesn’t seem as good as the website makes out, at least not in the city with dipped headlights, but the green one is decently visible without being a builder jacket.

Having all the pockets is great, although the zips on the side pockets are too small for access while riding.

My commute is 7.5km each way, up and down hills, in all weathers. I love this thing!

Ordered a Mistral Pro on Monday day and it was delivered today. He also threw in an Alpe Bobble Hat for free ( that's £11.60 on the site). I was actually going to buy when one when I was buying the Mistral so was chuffed to get it for free!
    It's my second Mistral jacket. They're a class piece of kit really for Irish winter rides. I hummed and hawed over whether or not to buy the Rapha linked earlier in the thread and then thought about buying another Gabba (perfetto I think they're called now) but happy now that I have the Mistral Pro (and a Bobble Hat 😉)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

just curious - have a few proviz bits. hows this for sweat boil in the bag scenario? i have a switch jacket which just makes me sweat, and then freeze at lights.

still wear it because its so bright!

https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product/christmas-gifts/ultimate-gifts/gore-c7-gore-tex-shakedry-jacket-ss19gorec7gtxsdjacket/

Depending on where you get the FX rate, sub €170 for a C7 Shakedry in M, L, XL.

kingoffifa wrote: »
    just curious - have a few proviz bits. hows this for sweat boil in the bag scenario? i have a switch jacket which just makes me sweat, and then freeze at lights.

still wear it because its so bright!
    So far so good but it’s been pretty cold out. So I guess after my initial fit of enthusiasm at having a rain jacket I don’t get wet in, I’m going to reserve judgement on the sweatiness till it warms up a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I know there's a designated bargain thread, but if anyone sees any of the winter commuting jackets on black friay sales can they post them up.

The Proviz site has 20% off everything, think I'm on the lookout for the Mistral Pro - am I right that they only sell from the official site?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I know there's a designated bargain thread, but if anyone sees any of the winter commuting jackets on black friay sales can they post them up.

The Proviz site has 20% off everything, think I'm on the lookout for the Mistral Pro - am I right that they only sell from the official site?

Galibier only sell from their site and specials tend only to be offered to previous customers when a new product is launched.

Just as an aside, I'd reckon the Mistral Pro could be too warm for everyday commuting, really it's for sub 5C, for me at least

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Really like the sound of the shakedry and thought I was on to something great with

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Gore-Wear/One-Gore-Tex-SHAKEDRY-Active-Bike-Jacket/BBTB

until I saw the no longer available message. This jacket would fit well a Mistral back pocket so will wait and see does one turn up around this price.

Not sure what price that was, but you can pick up the North-Face Hyperair (which is the same jacket just rebranded) in the Kildare village for about 200 euro.

Edit: I'm blind, was £130 sterling. You'll find it hard to pick one up that cheap in a normal size I reckon, they don't seem to be that common.

https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product/christmas-gifts/ultimate-gifts/gore-c7-gore-tex-shakedry-jacket-ss19gorec7gtxsdjacket/

Depending on where you get the FX rate, sub €170 for a C7 Shakedry in M, L, XL.

Ordered this and it went on its maiden voyage this morning. Dry so can't comment on how rainproof if is but it's certainly very breathable. Took it off for second half of ride and it fit well beside phone in middle jersey pocket.

Only negative (so far) was that it flapped quite loud in wind. It was windy though

Still available for 144 sterling on site. I used addresspal as postage other Ireland was 15 sterling

• Advertisement

Wait until you have it out in the rain. It's black magic.

Advertisement